The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Not doing well
28 Jan 2013, 10:05
Hi I've been doing the fast diet now for two weeks, start my third week today. Have honestly done the fast days as advised in the book have even weighed my carrots thats how strict I've been. Admittedly I have not dieted on my non fast days as didn't think I had to. However I'm not losing weight at all I lost almost a kg after week one but have gained that again. Feeling very dissappointed as reading all the blogs etc it appears this way of eating works for everyone but me!
Any support would be welcome
Re: Not doing well
28 Jan 2013, 10:14
Hi Finn

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear you are disheartened with progress. Dr M has tweeted to others that you first lose water and fat and then you regain some water so your weight will fluctuate. How often have you weighed? I have found that sometimes when I have weighed on the day after a fast I had not lost any weight but when I weighed the next day I had lost a kilo. Your weight fluctuates so much from day to day for all kinds of reasons, that I would not worry at all about this apparent increase.

In fact, I didn't weigh myself at all in the first few weeks of fasting. I only got on the scales when I noticed the waist band of my trousers was looser! Dr M says that your waist measurement is a much better guide to fat loss so my advice is to get out the tape measure and make a note of your waist size then don't weigh or measure again for another week.

I'll bet that at the end of two months you will have lost weight (and probably quite a bit)!
28 Jan 2013, 10:17
I can understand that you are a bit discouraged Finn but please don't be. Probably the real loss in weight is just masked by natural daily/weekly/monthly weight variations and it will start to show through soon. And you are right about not having to diet on the non-fast days; you eat normally but of course you shouldn't binge or eat more to compensate for the fast days. Often people end up eating less on non-fast days too (though not me, if I'm honest).
28 Jan 2013, 11:59
I am not doing too well either no weight loss after week one but it's early days Did my second fast yesterday and really struggled, once I had broken my fast at about 1pm with soup & roast cauliflower felt really hungry all after noon and ended up snacking half an Orange, freshman Eric so my next fast tomorrow am going to try the nothing until dinner approach and hope it works for me
28 Jan 2013, 18:44
Hi I am also having a struggle. I am on my third week and fast day today. I weighed myself this morning & am 1lb heavier than I was when I started. I had lost 2lb last week? On fast days I have only a cabbage & courgette,leek,onion,kale,broccoli & some chilli soup. I weigh everything & it works out to approx 70 cals per serving. I have some at lunch & in the evening & a small banana. I haven't been going mad on non fast days apart from I have allowed myself some choc digestive biscuits which I don't usually have. I am v hungry at the moment which wouldn't bother me if I could see the scales changing. I keep reading about great weight losses & feel slightly confused. I have to say on a positive note that I feel better in myself!
28 Jan 2013, 18:56
I was getting bothered about not losing weight until my OH did the sums for me. So if you follow the 5:2 diet you reduce your weekly calories by 3000 and to lose a pound, it's about 3600 (please correct me if I'm wrong) so even without fluctuations, you're only looking at a pound a week at most. Given my weight can change by 5lbs a day, it's hard to notice weightloss in the first month (unless you have really cut back or lost a lot of water.)

This is just my theory...OH says I just have to eat under a 1000 cals on ADF fast days and eventually I would lose weight and now I've lost a bit (and I eat VERY well on feed days). So don't despair...
28 Jan 2013, 19:18
Hi what's ADF fast days ? Thanks for the reply it makes me feel better as just looking at some people on other posts are losing 2kg in a week ! I am determined to keep trying even if I am feeling really hungry & my husband is eating a curry!
28 Jan 2013, 19:25
I'm doing alternate day fasting (ADF) as I would postpone fast days and I find this easier. I am much more generous with food limits as a result too as to average the 1500 cals a day is easier with more days of fasting.
28 Jan 2013, 20:46
Do you mean you only have 500 cals every other day ? That sounds pretty hard core !
28 Jan 2013, 21:42
Nope, well today, so far about 600. Going to have a cocoa before bed. It's still just one day at a time, so mentally no different and I'm finding it fine. I'm actually finding the feed days harder as I feel better on fast days. Eat more than 500, as that would be too restrictive for me.
10 posts Page 1 of 1