The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Suggestions please **UPDATED**
09 May 2013, 11:49
Hello, I'm de-lurking to ask for some help. I post over on the mumsnet 5:2 thread and there are some very helpful people on there, but the thread is quick moving with new folk and a variety of questions and I'd love to get your opinion on my situation.

So I have been doing 5:2 without fail since 1st Feb. My weight loss looks like this:

1/2/13, 10.10
8/2/13, 10.11
15/2/13, 10.9
1/3.13, 10.6
5/3/13, 10.5
15/3/13, 10-3
15/3/13, 10.4.5
22/3/13,10.5
28/3/13, 10.5
7/4/13, 10.6
12/4/13, 10.4.5
21/4/13, 10.4
25/4/13, 10.2.5
2/5/13, 10.3.5
9/2/13, 10.3.25

As you can see I have barely lost any weight for nine weeks. I mean I have because I went up a bit after Easter but I really really want to be at least 7lbs less, I am 5'6 (so BMI 23) and an apple shape, so still size 14 in trousers. I can definitely pinch more than an inch on my tummy, and whilst my waist has gone down a little bit since Feb it's still 81cm which is too high.

I don't religiously track on MFP every day, but when I do it's between 1700-2000 when my TDEE is 1900 or so.
I tend to start my fast at 6 or 7pm the night before, have a cuppa with milk at about 8am on FD, then small breakfast of yogurt or a boiled egg at 11 ish, small snack, maybe a banana or light baby bel & apple at 3 then tea at 5/6pm, usually poached egg, a new potato or two and lots of salad, or maybe a veggie stir fry.
I exercise at least 4 times a week, running zumba or cycling.

I was ponderinga zero fast but not sure if can do without skimmed milk in tea. I am wondering what to do next. I am feeling my enthusiasm slipping :-( Do you have any suggestions? THANK YOU!
Re: Suggestions please
09 May 2013, 12:13
Hello miffy 'tis most frustrating isn't it.
Couple of things to consider...
have you measured anywhere else and do any of your clothes feel looser?
have you looked at the tracker for people with the same stats as you too see what the 'average ' is?
Your BMI is lowish (I think?) so it is going to be harder to shift it.
Some people have found moving to one meal in the evening to kickstart the loss again. This could still be done with the milk in your tea...
There is a recent thread about plateauing and then finally it shifting - maybe have a wee read at that?
Let us know what you decide and how you get on- hopefully it'll be good news
09 May 2013, 12:31
Hi miffytastic!

So, if I assume you have been having an average of 1850 cals on your non-fast days plus 500 on both fast days, that's a total of 10250 for the week, and you've been losing an average of half a lb per week, which represents 1750 cals. Therefore, if you were to maintain your weight you would need to eat 10250 + 1750 = 12000 cals a week which is 1714 a day. So, I reckon your TDEE is actually only about 1714, not 1900 as suggested by MFP. Sorry!

So, 1714 x 7 = 11998. If you want to lose 1 lb a week, you would need to reduce your weekly intake to 8498 (11998-3500). That is pretty low! Possibly the easiest way is to add another fast day that way you could continue to eat around 1750 cals on your non-fast days. If you were to have two complete fasts instead your non-fast day allowance would be 1700. First, though, check that your average intake over the week is as I suggested...you might find you don't need quite so severe a restriction!

Although you exercise 4 times a week, do you do a desk job? Sadly, going to the gym has little effect on energy requirements whereas being on your feet all day in an active job makes a much bigger effect.

Unfortunately, the smaller we get the less calories we need! :cry:
09 May 2013, 12:45
Wow thank you for the prompt and very helpful replies. Yes I'm stuck at my desk working from home, so if you go for the "desk job" option on the calculator then my TDEE is 1638. I am not sure how to fit in a 4:3 day routine in the next few weeks so might go for careful calorie counting over the whole week to see how that helps . I have thougth about the evening meal only fast as well so might see if I can manage that next week, which is kind of what BssshBosh reommended.
Hi I just wanted to update you on my progress. I have been tracking on MFP in line with the recommended slightly lower TDEE calculation. I have still enjoyed eating out, pie and cake I think the very act of MFP-ing makes you moderate yourself a little bit. I have also been doing my usual running and zumba about 3 or 4 times a week.

Did consecutive fasts this Mon&Tuesday just because of the structure of my week, weighed myself this morning and I'm 10s 1lb 1/4 so there has been some downward movement at last! Thanks again!
5 posts Page 1 of 1