The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

43 posts Page 1 of 3
For all those worried about not losing weight- Some may remember I posted a couple of weeks ago. I had lost 7lbs after week 1. yes that's a big weight loss but I know that was water etc caused by sudden Christmas gain. I posted as I hadn't lost anything after week 2 and I was gutted.I didn't lose after week 3 either and was getting quite despondent. I've just weighed after 2 normal eating days (8fasts in) and another 3lbs off. I'm so motivated now as I start my 9th fast day today. I will admit that I have been watching what I eat on normal days(not calorie counting) just not pigging out. this WOE is now working, so persevere if you are not losing, you will get there ;)
That's encouraging.

I lost 4 pounds the first week, half a pound the second and will weigh tomorrow but expecting no loss or maybe just half a pound.

I'm sure it takes a while for the body to adjust and good to know that after a few weeks you can settle into a steady loss. I'm hoping for a pound a week off.
Hello from me, a new member to this forum and to the 5:2 lifestyle.
I have ordered the book, just re-watched the Horizon programme, and am very excited and also a little anxious/nervous about starting this w.o.e so it is really great to read your post Dancersmum!!
Will it work for me?
Will it really work by fasting for 2 out of 7 days?
Would you see faster weight loss by having 3 fasting days?
Is it best to do consecutive fast days or split them up, or does it really not seem to matter?
Is it ok to still exercise on the 5:2, perhaps rest on the fast days?

Being a serial yoyo dieter I know I will actually do fine on the fast days as some of my drastic attempts to diet in the past have meant that I've done the odd fast day and managed it fine...... only to cave in at bedtime and eat the fridge! I will easily (i hope) be able to do a fast day properly if I knew I could eat normally the next day..........

I currently have about 48lbs I'd like to lose on this path to healthy weight and healthy body overall. I would really like to lose as much as possible in the next 6-8 weeks as this is when I will be seeing my husband again! He's working away at the moment and so when I see him again, I want him to say 'wwwwoooooowwww'!!....... and then also be able to convince him to adopt the w.o.e too.

Have a great day! My first fast going well so far (lol, its only 10:30!! lol)

JB x
Good luck juliebulie10! I'm sure you can do it if I can! :)
Thanks for the encouraging words :)
My friend lives in Radcliffe, by the way!
Hello Dancersmum. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going. I started 5:2 on 16th Jan and lost 3 lb first week but nothing really the second week so felt a bit peeved. I know that I am a very slow loser, even with being 28 lbs overweight, so after the first week thought that I'd hit upon the magic formula.

I said at the beginning that I would give it a go for at least a month and see what happens, so I will keep going (especially since I am finding the regime surprisingly easy). Also I know that weight does not come off me evenly - it seems to be in 'chunks' every few weeks or so with plateaus in between.

Hopefully I can report back in a week or two with some good news!
Another 1 lb off! So 4 lb over 3 weeks. I can cope with that. It took me 9 months to lose 1 stone on Slimming World from the same starting weight - so if I can beat that I will be happy.
Thank you for such an encouraging post Dancers mum. I too felt disappointed after my first week as although I lost 3 lb initially, I then couldnt resist jumping on the scales and had put on a lb! Well after yesterdays fast (4) I have lost that ib and another so in total over just under 2 weeks that is 4lb off which i am so pleased about. This would have taken 24/7 slimming world to achieve this. My husband has had 3 fasts and lost 5lb which he is over the moon about and is telling everyone about 5:2.

I am having another fast day on thursday, however because I go on holiday in just over 2 weeks, would it hurt me to fast on friday too? I dont want to do the weekend as that would go against why I want to follow this diet.
Just to add to this, I have plateaued again since my first post on this thread, however I have lost another 6lbs during this time. It's very easy to become despondent but I think if you aren't losing put the scales away for a couple of weeks at least, and don't give up. You will eventually see some progress, and its such an easy way of life it's not difficult, and I feel so good on my fast days it's worth carrying on just for that. :)
Hi Dancersmum, I too hit quite a long plateau over 3 weeks but I'm still persevering and think I will see a loss this week (I weigh every day which I know is naughty but the scales definitely seem to be on a downward trend. I only post official weigh-ins on a Wednesday so let's see...). Incidentally, those plateaus, may not actually be plateaus. I followed one of the nerdy threads and there was a suggestion to take average weights over several days. Since I've got daily readings, I took 7 day averages and realised that actually there were very small losses during the 'plateau' weeks - so keep at it!
I'm so happy to be losing weight doing something that so easy. I admire your strength with the scales, I just get so down if I see even a slight gain. Good luck on the rest of your journey :wink: here's to healthy happy lifestyles which is how this feels.
I'm the same - I have to weigh myself at most once a week and more like every two weeks if possible as I get very despondent if I don't lose.

This forum is very helpful at getting you through those sort of moments and suggesting things to try if you do need to change your approach.
Hi,
Good to hear that. Today I have completed 4 weeks of this WOE and I'm still the same weight as when I started :( as depressing as it is it seems I'm not eating enough on feed days so I'm upping my cal intake and upping my excercise too as that'll help with inches too.
It's encouraging to read this, I'm sticking with it, lets see what happens although I still feel like I've wasted a month. X
It's tough when we stall.. I have found I do have to keep an eye on my food take on normal days as its so easy to go over the top. I know some people abhor this but it works for.me.. I have managed to abandon breakfast on most days after eating it for the last 20 years as I had it drummed into me I would never lose weight without it... what tosh lol.. let's keep.at it and show them ;)
43 posts Page 1 of 3