The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

43 posts Page 2 of 3
Really a great post - thanks so much!
Quirte reassuring to read theses. I seem to have followed a classic line of 3lb in the 1st week followed by a 1lb gain. I've done 8 fasts now and still only lost 2lb in total. I suppose I'm sticking with it for the health benefits because as a weight loss plan it seems a little flawed to me. I don't mind losing it slowly, as I've said before it went on slowly but 2lb in a month seems a bit slow. Still I'm gaining nothing though.
It is nice to hear these things. 4 weeks in now and ive lost zero!!! Trying not to let it get me down and will persevere with it!
Hi all,
I have just had my second week weigh in and lost 3 lbs this time. My first week I lost 7 lbs but now realise that a lot of that was water. I am doing the 4:3 and feel OK on it. Still finding fast days difficult but manageable. I had a blow out on Mothers day at my daughters on Sunday and thought I may not loose anything this week. I had 3 course meal, chocolates, the lot! Still determined to stick with this diet as it was lovely to jump out of bed this morning and think I can eat! Maybe not loosing means eating too much on feast days? I did try not to go mad but just eat enough to make me feel satisfied most of the time. Did have a treat (or two) now and again.
I have been losing really slowly, and made a few gains, but after a weigh in this morning I've lost 2kg since I started ! Its still less than 1lb a week, but its definately sustainable.

I think I have been slowed down by misssing a few fasts by being away a fair bit lately, and not following the excercise plan I'd like, thanks to business and this awful weather. But if I can still lose slowly, I'm really happy :grin:
Even if you aren't losing weight quickly at least you aren't putting it on! If you think about it you are able to eat foods that you like, don't have to calorie count on most days, and you are still reaping the health benefits. AND you are still probably losing inches.
I have always said that I don't care too much what I weigh, as long as I look thin :)
It's so good to know I am not alone! After 5 weeks, I've lost 5lbs. 3 in the 1st week, and 3 in the 3rd week, a 1b gain since, and now a plateau. In the grand scheme of things, I'm doing OK - a 1lb a week loss is what to expect. But I'm going to stick at it!

The biggest and best things I have learnt on my journey so far are:
Low fat food isn't any better for you than 'normal' food, and is in many cases is worse.
I will NEVER go back to a diet club, which is something I had been considering.
Even though some fast days are a struggle I feel energised, alert and cleansed.
I feel much more confident in my clothes, some are definitely looser, and that's only going to get better.

I just need to remind myself of these facts when I have a 'wobble' moment :-)
When do you all weigh yourselves? I've been doing this for 2 weeks and both times I've weighed myself after a fast day which shows my weight loss.....is this right?? :confused:
Dancersmum is providing sound and motivational advice, thanks.

I didn't lose or gain last week and am trying hard not to get dispirited. Am in my 6th week & did fast #15 yesterday and so far total weight loss is still 5.8 kgs which I know is good ...but I always want more (weight off that is!).

I so desperately want to lose that first stone as there are about four more to follow. It's going to be a long haul and that's fine and good for health and I know I'm likely to keep it off in the long run and maintain doing 6:1 - that'll be the day!

I AM proud to announce that I can now fast quite happily without breakfast too -something I never ever thought would be possible. A small :victory:
So reassuring to read all these posts - I've been on the diet for four weeks now and have been trying to stick within my recommended 1.8k cal on non fast days and have been exercising regularly but weight loss has been really minimal - even put on 2lb in last week despite loads of exercise and eating well! Very dis heartening when I've been trying so hard and am used to other non carb type diets which give much more dramatic weight loss. However I know this ones about long term sustainability and health benefits so going to stick with it as am finding it fairly easy and therefore hope that longer term it will pay off on the scales too :smile:
I lost 2kgs in the first week (mostly water I think), then nothing for the next 2 weeks and then 3kgs over the next 3 weeks, 5kgs so far and I didn't have a lot to lose. Stick with it everyone, as long as you stick to the 500 cals on fast days don't go mad on your feast days it works.
Just an update on this, the pattern continues I have since lost another 8 lbs but it hasn't all been easy, I had a period of 2 weeks where I STS but its coming off again...
It does work.
Keep at it everyone.
Oh and I've been fasting today and it was the first fast in 11 weeks that I really wanted to go out in my lunch break and buy a big hot pasty lol... but I didn't sat in the canteen smelling and looking at all the different foods and just drank my water.
I am so looking forward to my dinner after a 24 hour fast.. :grin:
juliebulie10 wrote: Hello from me, a new member to this forum and to the 5:2 lifestyle.
I have ordered the book, just re-watched the Horizon programme, and am very excited and also a little anxious/nervous about starting this w.o.e so it is really great to read your post Dancersmum!!
Will it work for me?
Will it really work by fasting for 2 out of 7 days?
Would you see faster weight loss by having 3 fasting days?
Is it best to do consecutive fast days or split them up, or does it really not seem to matter?
Is it ok to still exercise on the 5:2, perhaps rest on the fast days?

Being a serial yoyo dieter I know I will actually do fine on the fast days as some of my drastic attempts to diet in the past have meant that I've done the odd fast day and managed it fine...... only to cave in at bedtime and eat the fridge! I will easily (i hope) be able to do a fast day properly if I knew I could eat normally the next day..........

I currently have about 48lbs I'd like to lose on this path to healthy weight and healthy body overall. I would really like to lose as much as possible in the next 6-8 weeks as this is when I will be seeing my husband again! He's working away at the moment and so when I see him again, I want him to say 'wwwwoooooowwww'!!....... and then also be able to convince him to adopt the w.o.e too.

Have a great day! My first fast going well so far (lol, its only 10:30!! lol)

JB x
Not sure if you have posted this wanting me to answer these questions? I can't answer questions like this as I don't know this person therefore don't really know anything about them such as health issues, eating habits etc... also the other questions are so subjective and I don't know the science behind them. I am a mere layman when it comes to this WOL not an expert. I am following this along with a few recruits and it works for all of us, because we know what our TDEE is and stick rigidly to this and the fasts, and none of us have any health issues that may affect our losses.
I apologise for not answering this before.
I've just finished my 7th week and have lost 10lbs so far it can be hard on fast days but keeping busy seems to be he key. I never lost anything last week but this seems to be the trend :) here's to my bikini body :wink:
43 posts Page 2 of 3