The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

14 posts Page 1 of 1
I've been on the 5:2 diet almost continuously since early September 2012, with a week off in November for a holiday and two weeks off at Christmas. I've found the diet incredibly easy to fit into my life and the hunger is totally tolerable.
In the first six weeks from starting the diet I lost around 10 lbs, I think I peaked at around 12lb weight loss at around 2 in and, since then, my weight plateaued and has been steadily increasing since Christmas :(
I definitely don't over eat on my non-fast days, certainly not over the 2000 recommended, but I'm pretty sedentary. I've concluded that since my lifestyle is not very active and I've never really been skinny, I must have a lower metabolism and require fewer calories over all. Unfortunately this means that I'll either have to lower my calorie consumption to normal 'dieting' levels - say 1,400 cals - on my non-fast days or I'll have to start a 4:3 diet. I fear both of these options will be too difficult for me to stick to on a long term basis and I expect I'll quit as I have with every other diet I've tried.
I'm incredibly frustrated by this and feel like my body is punishing me. I'm sticking religiously to the diet and feel good on it but even as big a calorie reduction as this is not having a positive effect on my weight.
Can anyone offer and advise? Or has anyone else experienced this??
Thanks everyone
Lou
Hi Lou and welcome to the forum.

Your story has me a little bemused I must say. Have you worked out your daily calorie requirement (for feed days) using one of the online calculators?

I can understand how your weight might plateau but I can't quite see how it would increase again without the calories being increased or the exercise decreased. Except...I recently reported on an article about weight regain after weight loss in the nerdy stuff section. Your body does adjust things to make it easier to regain weight when you stop dieting, but you haven't stopped!

Do you keep track of calories on feed days? Do you roughly what your average is?

If I were you, I would not reduce to 1400, I would perhaps try for 1800 and reduce fast day calories to 450. I would also try to increase exercise, preferably on fast days. You could also consider doing a kind of half fast in addition which might be easier to fit into your life. For example skipping lunch on one feed day.

I follow Dr M's high intensity short duration exercise regime. It takes only 5 mins three times a week and I think it has helped.

Also have you measured your waist? I would be interested to know if your waist has shown the same pattern as your weight.

Dr M is on holiday at the moment but perhaps you should tweet him when he's back. He does answer queries.

Hopefully some others here may also be able to give some advice.
I was just about to say, have a word with Carorees! Just wanted to say, don't lose sight you have lost 12lbs which is fantastic! It's nearly a stone, so as you're now a stone (ish) lighter, you will need to take this into account with your daily intake. Personally, if it were me, I'd throw in an extra fast day for two weeks, stay off the scales, and see how you feel
Regarding online calorie calculators, I have found that if you use imperial measurements you need to be careful because many of the websites use US weights which are different! So either go metric or here is one NHS website that seems correct for imperial weights.
Thanks guys :)
OK, so on Carorees' advice I've calculated my daily calorie requirement and it's apparently 1,668 !! That's not exactly excellent is it? Oh dear. So it seems I've been over eating for my body's calorie needs by quite some margin. Sigh.
I've not only put on a little weight, I've put on a substantial amount back, at least half what I've lost.
I think the answer here is staring me in the face - I'm gonna have to get up off my booty and do some exercise! I think I'm going to try a couple of weeks of 4:3 to try and kick my system a little bit and I'll try and fit some exercise in too. I'm certainly not giving in!
Thank guys, you've been really helpful :mrgreen:
Just tried a few other calorie requirement calculators and I've come out with 1,989, 1,975, 1,804 and 1,752 cals from the four sites I've tried. Hmmmmm.
Seems like Carorees's suggestion of 1800 is about right. And yes if you put in some exercise that will help too. I suspect many of us overestimate our normal calorie requirement, so you are in good, or not so good, company!
Dr M says it is the difference between the fast and feed days that is important so it is better to reduce the fast day allowance as well as the feed day than just to eat less on feed days. Of course adding an extra fast will definitely reduce your overall calorie intake so it should give results. He also says to make sure you avoid sugary foods and drinks on fast and feast days...no idea if that applies to you, but I thought I'd mention it!
:) Good luck & let me know how you get on
Lou! Basically you've lost 12 lbs. in 6 months. I'm not counting the few weeks you took a break. I think that's fantastic!

I too don't understand the weight gain. How much are you gaining? Are you strictly counting calories on your fast days? That's really a must.

I'm curious how much you are gaining with following two vigilant fast days. Can you share? Like someone else mentioned, maybe your body is playing catch up? Your weight loss has averaged about 1/2 lb. per week according to your total weight loss. You say you'll never be skinny; I hear you, I never will either.

Another thing to consider is that those of us who are obese like me, will lose quicker than someone who just has a few pounds to lose and is not in the obese category. How many pounds do you want to lose?
oops, I just noticed Lou hasn't posted since February. Oh well, I hope Lou is doing ok.
Weight gain is very frustrating no matter the reason! I understand that as we age our calorie requirement drops about every 10 years (maybe even every 5 years). This is partly due to being less active and for aging reasons.

So, unless we want to be stuck eating less and less and less to keep from gaining, we have to up the activity. Fast walking is a great, easy exercise. I don't think we can do it without more exercise.
Hi I can understand your frustration. my weight yoyo'd for a while and then went back to losing 1-2 lbs a week. i have been on the diet for five months now. It's worth persevering.
Here is an article in the Weekend Australian magazine about 12 months ago talking about people who had successfully lost weight but, due to extremely low metabolic rates, had to continue low calorie and high activity to maintain.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/fe ... 6259949907
14 posts Page 1 of 1