The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

50 posts Page 4 of 4
Personally, I can't help but think there is some corelation with obesity and the use of HFCS in the U.S. I also avoid the fake sugars. Since I do like a cola a day, I'm fortunate we have Zevia, made with Stevia. About .75 each but helps me stay to one a day. I use sugar to bake but sweeten everything else with Agave or Stevia.
GoLinda wrote: Personally, I can't help but think there is some corelation with obesity and the use of HFCS in the U.S. .

I think in addition to the 'sweeter the better' attitude of most Americans, alot of obesity has to do with the massivie portion sizes that people consume at every meal along with the never empty 32 oz soda.
PhilT wrote: 2. The UK's per head sugar consumption has been approximately static if not declining for 20 if not 30 years. It does not correlate with obesity or with diabetes.

Thought this might be of interest, have no idea how they count sugar consumption in the UK.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/2 ... lia/?_r=3&

"In 2011, two leading nutrition and diabetes experts in Australia created controversy when they published a study arguing that at the same time obesity rates soared, the consumption of refined sugar in Australia had appeared to fall substantially. The researchers called this phenomenon “the Australian Paradox,” and it suggested, they argued, that public health messages aimed at sugar intake might not do much to curtail obesity.

But another paper published this month by a group at the University of Western Australia argued that there is no paradox.

“Customs data on imports of processed foods show that over the last 20 years there has been rapid and still increasing growth in imports of processed foods, many with high sugar content,” the authors wrote. “Our conservative estimate suggests that at least one-sixth of the sugar in the domestic food supply is now imported into the country in this way.”

Links in article to papers'n'stuff.
It's the sugar, stupid...
12 Aug 2013, 22:47
Thought some of you might find the following paper interesting:

The emerging role of dietary fructose in obesity and cognitive decline
Shaheen E Lakhan and Annette Kirchgessner

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1 ... 12-114.pdf

I'm even more convinced the low-carb approach is the sensible one for me, given that my granny's dementia started to show in her mid-fifties!
Re: It's the sugar, stupid...
12 Aug 2013, 23:49
My mother has Alzhiemers and she has a very sweet tooth, but at 82 years old I can't tell her that she shouldn't be having all the goodies she enjoys, its down to quality of life for her, but a warning to the rest of us. Thanks for the post.

Chris x
50 posts Page 4 of 4