The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

29 posts Page 1 of 2
I've been running 2-3 times a week now since about May, and rowing on my rowing machine 2-3 times a week. Some pushups and simple strenght training at least every second day as well, trying to at least maintain muscle mass while losing weight. My goal is getting and staying fit, body fat of 10-13 % without looking like I'm in a labour camp.

It was the perfect time to start running, during spring and early summer when the weather was nice and it's really beautiful outside.

But, it's still a matter of willpower for me to get out there. I have to make a concious decision, I have to build up my resolve and fight the urge to stay in the comfort and warmth of my bed, or the sofa.

I want my exercise to be as natural and simple as brushing my teeth. It shouldn't have to be an actual decision, it should be automatic, something I do without even considering it regardless of how I feel at the moment. A permanent ingrained habit, so I don't have to worry about how I'll feel about it in a year or two.

How do you accomplish building such a habit, or how long does it usually take for the behaviour to become automatic? For the long term, it's not a sustainable option to rely on willpower.
Hi Michael! I have made exercise a habit, for the first time in my life (age 30, ooops), by finding a type of exercise that I absolutely LOVE! I do a variety of the Les Mills group fitness classes several times a week and love them all so much that I can't wait to go to the gym and do them! I get a full body workout with lots of cardio and strength training over the course of the week, and it never feels like a chore!

I have tried running before, didn't really enjoy it, and, unsurprisingly, don't run at all now. So I think, find something you really really enjoy, and it will become a part of your life that you won't want to give up!
I now go to the gym on Mon and Wed without thinking about it, whereas I used to only go once or twice a year. I think the activity has to be fun and interesting and given the Crossfit community and programming, it's easy to go.

Running I would have to talk myself into...I do go occasionally but not habitually.
Yes, it would be an easy way out, to choose some activity I simply love doing. I'd love to start doing martial arts, like Krav Maga. But you have to schedule your life around some evening activity, it doesn't work for me. There are gym options open 24/7 nearby, but I like running better/dislike it less.

Running has the simplicity, intensity and flexiblity I need, and I like the fact that it's dirt cheap and you get the ability to do something possibly useful, like run long and fast if you ever have to. But there is this resistance to overcome, even though I usually enjoy it when I'm out there, and the feeling afterwards.
Hi Michael, I think that I have exercised pretty much continuously since I was around 15. As was said earlier, the key for me is also picking activities that you enjoy. However, even in those cases sometimes it's not so easy on a cold night to pull yourself away from the settee, so I think that problem of initial resistance is totally normal.
Team activities mean that if you don't turn up on time you're letting a whole team down, so you have no choice. There is also a social side that is really motivational.
For things like running and cycling, I tend to do these when I know I'm going to really enjoy them (e.g. running along the river on a cracking morning). I want to do them because my memory of them is very positive. I'm disappointed if I can't get out but try not to put pressure on myself in case I end up seeing it as a chore.
I suppose the key to show that it is a habit is that if I have gone say a week without having played football, or run or cycled, I start to get really twitchy and almost need to get out. I think that is a decent indicator of if you have developed a long term habit, rather than the inertia of getting out there on specific occasions.
Hi Michael, Great question!
When you figure out the answer
will you let me know please :lol: :lol: :lol:
Making Habits Breaking Habits -Jeremy Dean is an interesting read on the subject. He claims it can take at least 6 months to form some habits.
Hmm.., for the socializing part, I think it would help to get some more friends on Runkeeper, http://runkeeper.com. Anyone out there? PM me and I'll happily add you.

It adds some social pressure to do what you set out to do, since people might be watching, makes you accountable. Adding the social part, a bit like having a running partner. Instant reward in proudly showing off your run, even if it's pathetic, and some shame if you cave in.

And probably, if you're after building a habit, I don't think it's right to focus on results such as speed or distance, such a simple thing as consistency should be a key factor. Even if you only get out there for a very short run, you're strengthening the behaviour, solidifying it.

And yes Merlin, I would expect it to take quite a while to build the kind of habit I'm looking for. 66 days is said to be the average for all habits, trivial and complex. Running regularly, perhaps a year or two before you can call yourself a runner?
It's a good question!

In addition to what the others have said, I find that having a goal is helpful, like running in a 10k/1/2 marathon or something. I started swimming at the beginning of the year because I was doing a swimming race in June, and that made me get out and swim twice a week every week. I have found that it is now normal for me to swim on Mondays and thursdays, as well as weekends when I can find someone to watch the kids, as at the beginning I felt I had to do it or face being hauled out of the river during the race, and now it has become routine, though I am planning on doing the same race next year much faster!
Michael H wrote: ...
Running has the simplicity, intensity and flexiblity I need, and I like the fact that it's dirt cheap and you get the ability to do something possibly useful, like run long and fast if you ever have to. But there is this resistance to overcome, even though I usually enjoy it when I'm out there, and the feeling afterwards.

There you go then. Sign up for a local 5K or 10K race. You'll find the challenge, excitement and camaraderie quite fun.
Edited - did not twig you were in Sweden!
Good question. I'd like to make exercise a more regular part of my life - I like how I feel when I exercise and I seem to be one of those who respond well to it in terms of weight loss. You'd think that would be motivation enough but I've been in my role of the Queen of Couch Potatoes for too long, I think. I reckon I could write a book called '101 Excellent Reasons Why I Can't Exercise Today'! Willpower? What willpower?

Nothing I've read on this thread has given me a definitive answer, although it's all good advice. Plug away, I guess - stiffen the backbone, old girl, get off your butt and go to it! Or something like that.

Fitbit helps, by the way. I'm getting quite obsessive about getting my 10K steps done - that's definitely an improvement on past activity levels.
I don't do evening stuff, mornings or lunchtime is better for me. I don't think it's a cop out to do something you like, time is limited, best to max your enjoyment.

It's called social facilitation when you do better just from being observed. That's why crossfit works for me better than a normal gym, coach interaction and people know you...working out alone but in competitive company.

I think this is just a mental block, don't think, go...or get a running buddy...

I love swimming, hardly ever go as no-one to suggest it or remind me...

http://breakingmuscle.com/sports-psychology/what-do-you-really-want-when-what-you-want-and-how-you-train-dont-match
Thanks for the question! :like:

This thread is really making me think... hard to do with this humongous mental block...
As for signing up for a race, hmm.., it might be a great option, but the thought of it doesn't appeal to me. I can't clearly say why. Perhaps i fear the high price of failing, the disappointment I would suffer. I might get too enthusiastic, train too hard and hurt myself. It has happened before., and the thought of the self contempt if I caved in, horrible.

Also, signing up for a race would mean I focus on an outcome, instead of the actual habit and behaviour, the act of running. Racing sounds best as one possible consequence of the habit, rather using it as a goal for another goal. The chance of success should be higher if you have only one clearly identified intent, instead of two, and actively work with your behaviour.

If I joined a race, I wouldn't be able to resist telling people about my prestigious enterprise, and slip towards being externally motivated by fear of embarrasment and wanting recognition. Internal motivation should be better.

What I will do, is to do my best to stop even thinking about how I feel about getting out there, stop assesssing my present level of motivation, how "happy" the running might make me, how tired I am or what's the weather is like. Such things are not tolerated as factors at all. Making decisions based on how you feel is tiring, they should be replaced by scheduling above all.

Every second day, in the evening I will place my running shoes and clothes by the bed where I can see them, set my alarm clock to 5.30 AM and get out running, it can be for 10 minutes or an hour, and if I have some pain, I'll at least walk a little. The outcome will be what it will be.
29 posts Page 1 of 2