The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

41 posts Page 1 of 3
rawkaren's return
13 Dec 2015, 11:17
I'm not sure why I'm doing this in public forum. In many ways I feel too ashamed to even write this down, but hey ho, I have to start somewhere.

Many of you will remember me here from a few years ago. Fasting got me well into the healthy BMI as my weight was rising through menopause. Roll forward two years in California, portion sizes too large and living too near to Napa Valley.... Fasting was half assed at best, and I gave it up for a while as it was too stressful on my adrenals.

I have returned to the UK with a waist to height ratio of 0.50 when just two years ago it was 0.40. Whilst my body shape has changed post menopause, that still roughly translates to 3 dress sizes larger which I managed to ignore living in the sunshine wearing sweatpants most of the time and vanity sized clothes. I have hidden it well and continue to do so, but I am concerned about health issues and fasting is a great way of improving health markers.

So that was then and this is now, and I'm determined to get back. I'm not weighing myself as it is a miserable way to live, but I do have 20 pairs of jeans in the cupboard that don't fit me ranging from UK size 6 to 10.......

I know how to eat real foods, but I'm having to relearn portion control and staying in check on non-fast days, so I'm back to diligently recording on MFP.

Thanks for reading and I will check in regularly with my progress. :heart:
Re: Rawkaren's Return
13 Dec 2015, 13:12
I do actually look at the forum most days- although it is very quiet nowadays, it does work as a reminder to continue to be aware .
13 Dec 2015, 13:50
Nice to see you back.
13 Dec 2015, 13:57
Nice to see you back and there's no need to be embarrassed at all. Unfortunately, for most of us (especially women, I think) weight loss is an ongoing battle. Last year, I lost almost 20 lbs. due to stress/grief mostly, but now I've gained quite a bit back. I've been super busy working two jobs and eating on the run a lot. I'm not happy about it at all. I had to buy smaller clothes last year, but now I'm back to the bigger clothes. It is depressing, but we can't give up. I'm going to get back to fasting after the New Year. I also got a fit bit and have been working on increasing my activity that way! And yes, food is just everywhere here in the U.S. and it's hard to eat healthy. I hope it's easier for you now that you are back in the U.K. Good luck!!
13 Dec 2015, 14:21
Hi honey *waves* nice to see you and back in Blighty too :geek:
Weight gain is too easy for too many reasons when you're a female over 50, but fret ye not, let's enjoy getting through this Christmas then have a January blitz, all of us together :smile:
Hope your OH's health is good now, are you staying here for a while?
:like: :clover: :heart:
13 Dec 2015, 15:05
Azureblue wrote: Hi honey *waves* nice to see you and back in Blighty too :geek:
Weight gain is too easy for too many reasons when you're a female over 50, but fret ye not, let's enjoy getting through this Christmas then have a January blitz, all of us together :smile:
Hope your OH's health is good now, are you staying here for a while?
:like: :clover: :heart:

@azureblue. Yes I'm back permanently so my opportunity to get settled back with what I know. OH health is stable which is a blessing :heart:
13 Dec 2015, 15:40
Welcome back, @rawkaren and please, do not feel any shame, stress in life, and I presume living so far away from home and family is a huge stress, tend to ease the way to comfort food and denial but the good news is that you are now fully awake and aware and ready to go ! :victory:

Coming here regularly, even if I don't always post, has helped me a great deal to keep things in perspective and in check that's a good habit to have :wink:
13 Dec 2015, 18:21
Ah the joys of living in the states.

I'm super happy to see you back, although not happy about what my country has done to your waistline. Even a "healthier" state like California just has such incredibly unhealthy habits. It's hard to eat properly and get your exercise here!!!
14 Dec 2015, 02:13
raw-who?

Wah Hoo!

Welcome back.
14 Dec 2015, 08:44
Welcome back! I have quietly returned too, and am trying to get back in the habit of 5:2
I will probably stop next week as the schools break up for Christmas, but, as I am also in my fifties, going through menopause etc. I am concerned about gradual weight gain and all the health problems associated with that.
I really enjoy reading the chat on these forums... SallyO and others are very inspiring.
Good luck with everything!
14 Dec 2015, 10:22
Welcome back to the UK & in time for Christmas!!
I know how easy it is to put weight back on having done so myself through holidays this year & unlike you I hadn't reached my goal weight yet. You can do it & get back to your ideal weight having done it before :like: :like:
I will be back on the bandwagon after Christmas & not beating myself up during a family event including a new granddaughter. Don't beat yourself up but regard the new year as a new starting point & in the meantime if you can get back into fasting days treat those as good practice for the new year. :wink:
14 Dec 2015, 14:12
Yesterday's fast went very well. 360 calories in total. I'm quite a fan of fasting windows too but better doing them at the beginning of the day rather than waiting all day to eat. So quinoa and chia 'porridge' for breakfast, a home made beef chilli for lunch with a mountain of broccoli and a couple of pieces of 90% chocolate takes me to my TDEE for the day, so the kitchen has to close now until tomorrow.
14 Dec 2015, 23:27
Hey @rawkaren: you never really left us. It's great that you are seriously back though and good luck with it. Isn't it interesting how culture affects us. You'd think, being over 50, your eating habits would be settled and that moving to the US wouldn't have affected you, but obviously it made a big difference. Let's hope now you're home, you can settle into healthy portion sizes and start to see the weight shift again and will soon fit into those smaller pants. Good to see you too, @cblasz
14 Dec 2015, 23:37
welcome "back," rawkaren! But what does this mean for those of us "stuck" in the foodie culture of the States??? :shock:
14 Dec 2015, 23:40
Oh dear@ferretgal. You Americans have a special challenge and I salute you, on the front line. We know there are Americans here on this forum who have had good success with 5:2 and know how to live in the USA. You are one of them. Be proud and forge the way for your country men and women.
41 posts Page 1 of 3