The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

117 posts Page 5 of 8
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
That's a beautiful post . Well done
The days are blazing by it seems, everything at work is cramming up before Easter holiday. Today is fast day and I will try a run later, just before dinner. Though I didn't post yesterday, I spent a fair amount of time with weight loss and 5:2. I thought it would be fun to try and put together:
"Running Olsen's six day plateau breaker program"
I want to see if it's possible to create a mix of Mind, Activity and Food that has the potential to make you break a plateau, or if that's not the case, at least boost your resolve.

I might as well confess I'm writing a book about weight loss. I'm not an expert in nutrition or exercise. On those subjects I'm just a human who have tried my share of diets and plans. However, the last years I have picked up a lot, culminating with the information in this forum and the great knowledge it points to, from "as reliable as they get" sources.
My whole reason for writing a book on this is my conviction that weight loss revolves around a "power triangle" with these three influencers:

Your food - Your exercise - Your mind.

Like I said, I'm not educated in food or exercise, but I am in "mind". I worked 14 years as educationalist with a three-year education in family therapy (Walter Kempler Institute of Scandinavia). The last 16 years I've worked as a company owner or manager and in some respect I can say "All I ever did was work with people".
What I would like to accomplish with such a book is to give the reader a toolbox of understanding the basics of these three core concepts and how they can work together (or not) to create the result you want. It is my hope that I can inspire and deliver enough facts to empower the reader to pick and execute the right mind (motivation, determination etc.), quality food and exercise, that together will form a true new way of life and not another "diet".

Now, this book may never be finished as writing any book is a massive task. I've tried it and actually finished some, some published, some not. Others never finished because I lost traction along the way. I might also find out I have nothing new to offer on the weight loss scene and spare the world.

I thought of this "Six day plateau breaker" program as a part of the addendum of the book. I will need some more time to finish it and if there's any interest, I'd be delighted with feedback.
I think maybe you lost 'momentum' along the way rather than "traction" :smile: although maybe you also lost your grip (I often feel I'm losing mine :lol: ) do really it was traction after all :?:

Good luck with the book. I've often thought that someone with as many words inside them as me must have a book to write, but I haven't found it yet. I did win a national poetry competition when I was about nine, does that count :?: :lol: ANYWAY, I've greatly enjoyed reading your posts so I'm in no doubt that your book will be enjoyable too. Since you have the exercise and fasting discipline behind you now, you have all the tools you need to not lose traction this time :wink:
Hi @RunningOlsen
Sounds like a good idea to write a book on the power triangle Food, Exercise, Mind. Even if it might not be published: writing it will focus your own thinking, because in order to write something in order for others to understand, you have to understand it yourselve first. I am sure many of us will be willing to comment on 'parts and pieces' of the book. Many of us have much experience with the triangle and or writing/teaching. I have no medical training or specific expertise, but I do research and teach/write in policy science. This includes of course ways in which policy can influence the behavior of people, so there is a clear link there. In case you like to get comments and suggestions, just feel free to post ideas or send them by PM.

Curious to see how you will be doing on your 'male bonding weekends'. Interesting question: is sticking to healthy/limited food more difficult in groups/parties of only male or female fiends, compared to 'mixed' groups of friends?
Thanks @Winsome (get writing again!) and @P-JK. I will let you know how this goes. It would certainly be nice with extra eyes and opinions. And you're right PJ-K, writing is a great process for oneself, if nothing else.
Today it's off for another weekend, lucky me!
I have no particular writing talents but would be very interested in reading parts of your book, I am saying that but I take it you are writing it in Swedish and it would give you an awful lot of work to translate it. I do however wish you luck with your project.
Thanks @Nessie, I will be writing in English though, God, Webster's and Oxford's Dictionary help me.

So, I'm back from social "ordeal" #2, and I failed the food part some. Had some white bread and then some more, a piece of cake and some chocolate. That said, I have run a total of 50 K since Tuesday and the increased mileage had left me depleted. I will probably pay the price on the scale tomorrow, but it's ok. I realized I have to re calculate TDEE and eat better before/after the runs, which are becoming longer and longer and even are up from 3 times a week to four. I don't want to lose muscle so I have to read up on that part and probably add some strength training. I expect this to slow down weight loss and that is ok. I am coming to terms with this project is a "for life" thing and not a time frame diet.
So, the weight was up as predicted after yesterday's "little carb frenzy" (The bread and chocolate). But as a new experience it made me feel regret on a new level. I didn't regret taking an off day, but I regret it made me feel a kind of nauseated. So it's definitely dark chocolate in the future. The taste was also different and not so pleasant as it used to be. I take it as a good sign.
Today I also had a scan for more "pain gems", or gall stones. Nothing came up except a tiny shadow of something (we're talking milimeters). My GP will have to decide how to follow up on that. For me it's case closed but I suspect a follow up in some time to see if the "something" has grown. Now, we don't like 'stuff' inside us do we? But luckily I've had many friends go through different checks with false alarms (just like at the airport security) so I will take this as reminder to live life now.
I'm glad it was a learning experience for you. Hopefully the weight will go back down quickly! I much prefer dark chocolate!

Glad everything checked out ok with the doctor!
Easter lunch with old friends and family today. Completely stuffed with various high calorie food, beers and snaps (you know, 45% clear alcoholic drink)
Headache...
After yesterday's overload I have decided I will do a kind of fast today by not eating until dinner. However, this dinner will certainly not be below 600 kcals, hehe!
Welcome to the world of the eating window!
This fast day is almost over by now. It's been one of the harder since I was tired from training the past 4 days. There was no way it was smart to train more today too, but boy, it left me restless. So I spent a part of the day battling negative thoughts and patterns. Story short, I didn't succumb to eating more than I should today, goal in mind, but it wasn't a tailwind downhill ride. It doesn't help I'm "between hobbies". I used to game a lot of pc games with friends, but it has lost some of it's magic. Of course you all know I'm into running now, but you can only spend so much time on exercise, as opposed to gardening or building a canoe. I definetely need another activity to submerge into, something outdoors and practical preferably - Nutrition/fat loss/metablism studying being all "computer screen" as my work. I have enough screen time already. On crazy days I'm considering building a primitive smith in the backyard and try to forge medieval swords, but it' probably not legal. I also think the neighbours would turn less friendly if I start to go wham-wham-wham on evenings and weekends!
Anyway, biggest news today is new avatar pic!
Well, you can see the weight loss in the avatar :victory:
Impressive result!
Regarding the hobbies: I have no clear suggestion, as organizing speed skating races (my hobby) is not a likely option in Denmark I suppose. Perhaps revitalising the Men Only thread will bring some suggestions?
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
117 posts Page 5 of 8