The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

29 posts Page 1 of 2
Tim's Journey
08 Aug 2013, 00:41
Hi Everyone,

In my introduction Thread I gave a bit of detail about goals and how I have started out.

I would like to follow on from there with a little diary I guess of my journey, not only for others who may be interested to follow but also for my own record.

Thursday 8th of August. Day 18

Yesterday was another fast day. This was one of the easiest fast days I have done so far - I didn't eat anything right up until around 7pm when I had 300c in food and 240 in drink. I was quite exhausted and in bed by 8.30pm.

I also went for a large walk in the evening which I hope to try and do at least every couple of nights now.

This morning during my weigh in I had my biggest loss 700g taking my total loss to 2.9kg Waist is still sitting at a loss of 3cm.

Last night I also ordered a fitbit one and fitbit scales - so should be able to start getting an idea on bodyfat movement and be able to get a bit of accountability on my activity. Looking forward to these arriving in the next few days.
Re: Tim's Journey
08 Aug 2013, 02:28
Hey Tim! Congratulations on your terrific start[code]. Let us know how the fitbit works out for you. :cool:
09 Aug 2013, 08:34
Thanks bordergirl :-)

So today the fitbit one and aria scales arrived - the aria scales seem to be defective but I wont dwell on that - the distributor has put me in contact with fitbit US

Now the fitbit One - wow what can I say but I love it!!

Went for what was going to be just a small walk this afternoon to see how it works with my iphone5 etc and then after obessing over my steps got an email saying I earnt my first badge of 5000 steps.. well I had to better that... 10000 steps and about 8km later it was the biggest walk i've done in months and felt great!!

The really scary part was I stopped halfway to buy some water jugs to put my new batch of kiefer in (different story) and as I was waiting to be served could feel my jeans slowly slipping down! Very good sign (don't worry they didn't go far haha)

I have also slowly been inputting some of my regular foods into the app for quick food references.

Todays calories in 1360 (started late on the eating due to trying to get the scales working and wanting to get a weigh in before eating haha)and according to fitbit calories out sofar is 2391 so it will be interesting to see what the scales say tomorrow (my old scales)

I now know why everyone raves about the fitbit one - so glad I got it!

Stats from the day

Calories Burned: 2391
Consumed: 1360
Steps: 11172
Distance 8.11Km
Floors: 17
Active Minutes: 25

Weight is still sitting on 89.3 (so satisfying dropping below 90 - just a small milestone)
10 Aug 2013, 22:27
Well this morning marks my 21st day on 5.2 and wow I couldn't be happier. I am really loving this way of life and even starting to get use to the fast days - the last two have been a breeze.

I have changed to only eating a dinner meal and only water throughout the day, I really think this has helped in my handling of the fast days.

Now down to the stats!

(these can all be viewed on my tracker its public)

Todays weigh in: 88.6kg that's a total of 3.6kg lost so far!! The thing that really stands out for me is the tracker is now predicting I will reach my (first) target weight a whole month early!

I have also lost about 5cm off my tummy which is great!

I really cant rave about this diet enough it is becoming a life changer for me, I feel more energetic and positive (although maybe a little cranky on fast days hehe)

So thank you all for your great support and encouragement - I think you will see me here for awhile ;-)

PS fitbit has told me to return the aria scales for an exchange as they are most likely faulty - so not a great start but at least it was fast service and hopefully I have better luck with the new set
10 Aug 2013, 22:44
Hey Tim! Thanks for the feedback on the Fitbit. I was curious about it. My daughter has a Jawbone UP and loves it as well. Maybe it's time for me to join this new century and get something better than the under $10 pedometers I've been getting. :lol:
12 Aug 2013, 09:15
No problem :-) I am sure you will love it if you get one.

Sent my Aria scales back and they are going to test them to see if they can get them working or if they are indeed faulty. If they get them working then it may be due to a conflict with my wifi as they rely on wifi to upload your stats. If that is the case I won't get them back and will get a refund as I tried all sorts to try get them to work. Hopefully they encounter the same issue though cause they looked like a really nice product!

Today was another fast day - I started out 0.5 kg up on my low point from a little celebrating of 3kg lost on the weekend (hey ya gotta celebrate the small wins)

Today is the first time during fasting I have felt cold - I have heard many talk about it as a side effect but never had it myself. Today was a different story, and I'm not talking cold as in the temp had dropped I'm talking I felt cold from the inside out. Not a pleasant feeling but only came on at about 8pm so jumped into bed which helped.

Today I also had to go into work this evening and do an audit on some paperwork - must admit that's not fun at the end of a fast day haha my mind was certainly not there. I will need to plan for that better in the future.

It's all a learning curve and I am still so excited to be doing this! Overall I feel so much more energetic and positive! Sorry some of my posts may come across a little negative but that's not at all how I feel - I just really want to document my journey, the good and bad :-)

Looking forward to reading the scales tomorrow
12 Aug 2013, 10:52
That's what the fitbit recorded.. Yea about 8km - I brought this up on the fitbit thread and they said due to my higher bmi I will burn more calories..?

Edit: oh another thought too - the fitbit calculates your resting calorie burn too, so that number is for the whole day not just from what those steps wore off (I think)
12 Aug 2013, 12:02
Hi Tim, your journey sounds like it working well for you! Well done.

I have a fitbit too, haven't worn it in a while as I feel guilty when i haven't done my steps :oops: must dig it back out!

Re: being cold, it's one of the symptoms i suffer with too, i'm freezing today :frown: i've found having a warm drink helps warm you from the inside out, though at the moment i've got an electric heater blowing on me too! :lol:

Good luck with the rest of your journey.. :like:
15 Aug 2013, 22:40
Well yesterday was another fast day.

It went really well - I truly think its getting easier every time.

Today brings a new record with my loss now up to 4.8KG and my waist dropping another 1cm bringing the toatal off tummy to 5cm

My last two fast days have both resulted in next day weigh ins of 900Grams less than the previous day which I found absolutely crazy! I seem to be finding myself fasting one day then having two days in between then fasting (it doesn't always work out like that but generally does)

Which works out at like every 3rd week is 4.3 and the other 2 are 5.2

Anyway just excited to see another big drop and look forward to the coming weeks/months
18 Aug 2013, 04:19
So we are coming to the end of the weekend and am I glad for that! (for once)

It was a great weekend but not for my tummy... It all started on Friday night my wife had put a beautiful meal in the slow cooker so I brought some sparkling grape juice to go with it as a small reward for my progress... The next day we decided to go out to the movies which meant popcorn and then McDonalds after... And now today my wonderful Mother in Law took us out to lunch which was very kind but all of this combined equals me longing for a fast day!!

This week coming will also be my first week away with work since starting this WOL - I go away for one week every month with lots of driving involved and loads of eating out due to being away from home and cooking facilities.

I will try and get a fast day in tomorrow and hopefully another on Thursday but I am really interested to see the impact after this week.

I am going to try and limit my meals while away to just Subway and preferably just the salads so I am not taking on loads of bread - In NZ they have an app which you can order your subs through and as you build it it will calculate the calories as you add each ingredient. Hopefully with this tool and my new found knowledge on TDEE etc I should be able to come away from the week with just as strong a loss as my weeks so far.
22 Aug 2013, 21:09
Well I am now back from work away and what's the damage?

Well I got in two fast days - Mon/Thurs so that would have helped and the damage was only a 200gram increase.

Not bad at all - I am still ahead of my goal and if I do another fast day on Sunday I think I should hit a new record low :-)

It was certainly harder fasting while I was traveling due to the huge amount of mental work I was doing but I coped ok. I also had my new set of Aria scales waiting for me when I got home - this set worked right out of the box, so the first lot were obviously faulty.

Love the scales - very cool!
29 Aug 2013, 09:52
Just a quick post tonight. Today was a fast day and I was at work - naturally without even thinking I found myself in a restaurant sitting down to the meal I ordered for lunch and as I took my first bite it hit me that I was having a fast day! I had already paid and there was no way I was going to throw it away so naturally I got out my phone and did the sums... It was around 700 calories.

I was a little down with myself as this is the first day that I have just gone about my routine and eaten without realising - at the same time I guess it shows how use to this way of life I am getting.

So I came away from lunch not in the best of moods and walked into my next job when it happened! Yes for the first time in 5 weeks on 5.2 it happened.

I was told it looked like I had lost a lot of weight! Well that certainly made me feel fine about stuffing up with my lunch!

So its official people I am starting to look thinner!

I ended out the fast day with no further calories and plan to try and extend out until lunch time tomorrow - I will see how I feel in the morning.

(Yay)
29 Aug 2013, 10:23
Hi tim regarding your back pain suss out the following post of simcoeluv (easy to find on the main menu on the left of the screen in top rated posts)

'Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:44 pm Warnings to all Newbies!'

the first page there is a link to an article, it's a long read but the guy there asks of his back pain when fasting. Doesn't say cause but just when he was on his marathon fast he experienced it
29 Aug 2013, 10:49
Thanks @gillymary for following up on that - I will have a read over that in the morning!

Really appreciate you searching that out :-)
30 Aug 2013, 11:50
Updated my tracker.

Today I hit a new KG milestone - 5KG

If you look at my tracker the last week has been a bit of a plateau due to the week traveling with work and eating takeout for that week - considering the bad eating I was surprised this WOE was able to maintain even with a bad diet without increasing much at all.

Im interested to see how I get on after this weekend (Sunday is day 42) Hoping for a bit more drop to increase my average a bit - the one week plateau moved my target out by an entire month!

Anyway - still loving this Diet and forum, you all are awesome!
29 posts Page 1 of 2