The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

58 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: 6 months on the 5:2
16 Feb 2013, 07:41
I agree mattyboy, there does seem to be this culture developing where if people dont see immediate, almost miracle-esque results they get disheartened and give up saying it doesnt work.

I was on another forum (not diet related) where someone said they'd tried it but were hungry all the time and didnt lose much weight anyway so gave up after about 2 weeks!

I really do think exercise helps too (even though so many people seem to hate the thought of doing any!) And that doesnt have to be going to the gym for an hour, but could simply be walking to the shops or any kind of activity that just involves mobilising yourself. For the first month on the diet my husband was away so i was doing two dog walks a days at nearly an hour each, and i think that helped with the weight loss ive seen (nearly a stone).

Great posts though guys, thankyou for taking the time to put finger to keyboard and share all that. Really interesting to read about the long term effects :D
16 Feb 2013, 08:08
Brilliant, thanks Snorvey. I would get one of those foot warmers, but......
16 Feb 2013, 09:44
Well Done Snorvey and Chris Mc - very inspirational. It's still quite early days since most of us have started on this new journey; and as yet, not many have been able to show us what lays ahead.
So it's great to see even a few people who are able to inspire others along the way!
I think most of us want to see a difference to our health/weight and realise that they are here for the long haul. Hopefully there won't be too many disappointments along the way, but stick with it we will as we CAN fast for 2 days a week.
Good Luck to you and everyone embarking or embracing this journey.

P.S Love the electric boots - might have to see if Lidl have any left as o/h has diabetes and feels the cold, especially on his feet.....now would he wear them?
16 Feb 2013, 11:33
:D Thank you Snorvey and Chris Mc for writing about your 5:2 experiences with such honesty and...well, gusto. You have told us how it's been for you but with humour. Seeing the all-round benefits set out like that by a fellow faster is exactly the sort of information that I can assimilate and can hold onto when I might be feeling a tiny bit cheesed off as the weeks go by and I may find my weight loss slows to a snail's pace.

Posts like yours are why I come onto this forum. Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us.
16 Feb 2013, 14:42
What a great story thanks Snorvey. I can imagine myself typing something similar in 5 months times, hopefully :-)
17 Feb 2013, 10:08
Thank you for the post, very inspirational.
17 Feb 2013, 17:06
Snorvey - you crack me up! Love your posts.
18 Feb 2013, 08:29
Snorvey, I loved your post, thanks. I have also seen an improvement in my asthma, but I wasn't sure if it was "real" since it is quite early days for me, but it would be wonderful if fasting also helped reduce the need for asthma medication. I wonder if there are any other forum members who have found similar effects.
Pat
18 Feb 2013, 08:43
Great stuff well done. I think that many people expect a bigger weight loss not thinking this really about a life change not quick weight loss.
21 Feb 2013, 16:27
Inspirational to hear from a long term faster! Well done and let's all aim for the same!
21 Feb 2013, 16:27
Inspirational to hear from a long term faster! Well done and let's all aim for the same!
26 Feb 2013, 12:54
Thanks for all your comments.

Just a wee mini update for you..:

On Monday (Wk 29 fast 1) I changed my 300 cal main evening meal from the usual pile of mixed veg to tinned tuna and 2 x poached eggs to try and get that protein rich 'fuller for longer' feeling.

...and I felt pretty good all evening. So yesterday was 2 x apples, 4 black coffees, tinned tuna, poached eggs with a small pack of M&S sliced carrots, lightly salted broccoli for a snack later on with a low cal hot chocolate and plenty of H2O.

I reckon about 580 calories for the day.

I was out on Sunday for a 20 mile cycle (in some pretty rotten weather I have to say). It was most enjoyable (and faster) not having to cart around 2 stones of extra baggage.

No weigh in this week though. When I first started, it was almost every day - you know how it is. I think now I'll just have a fortnightly or even monthly weigh in just to make sure I'm staying on track. I'll be looking for another half stone or so before my 'One year on the 5:2' update in August.

The weight loss has slowed quite a bit now though, so you have to keep reminding yourself of the other reasons you're 5:2ing. For example, I don't recall the last time I used an inhaler (and I've being using one since I was a child). My regular countryside cycle 'lap' was nearly 5 minutes quicker than last year (and that's with me hardly being on the bike for 2 months) and of course the most important one of all....

...for 5 days I pretty much eat and drink what I like without putting a pound of weight on.

All the best

@Snorvey
26 Feb 2013, 13:33
Wow, only just found this thread. Brilliant, inspiring. What great results. Thanks for writing it all up; I think that could be very helpful for lots of people in the early stages.
28 Feb 2013, 15:39
I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll pop it here on my 6 month thread.

For anyone thinking about 5:2ing here's an idea of what I eat on a fast day. It's taken me 6 months to get to this stage, but I think I've pretty much got this nailed down now.

It's a very boring food day for some (but then I grew up on mince and tatties and rice pudding, so I'm used to what some might see as boring food) - and I've have to learn to like black (bleeurgh!) coffee (like I had to learn how to like white sugarless coffee 10 years ago), but it goes like this.

Water (throughout the day)

7.30am Black Coffee - 2 cals

8.30am Black Coffee - 2 cals

11.00am Black Coffee - 2 cals

12.30pm Apple - 70 cals

3.00pm Black Coffee - 2 cals

5.30pm Apple - 70 cals

7.00pm 2 x poached eggs + 150g drained tuna + carrot batons - 340 cals

9.00pm Lightly salted Broccoli and Asparagus snack - 35 cals

9.30pm Low Calorie hot chocolate - 40 cals

Total = 563 for the day.

I could probably go for a 180g can of tuna, but I like having the spare calories at the end of the day - I can normally fit in a rich tea biscuit with my Hot Choc then.

Not too bad eh? Ok, it's nothing like some of the creative meal plans that some folk manage to extract from 600 calories, but it's tasty enough and quite filling.

Post bedtime, my routine goes something like

1.00am Get up for a pee
3.00am Get up for a pee
5.00am Wake up dying for a pee but try to resist going for a pee.
Try to get back to sleep, but instead lie awake for 25 minutes desperate for a pee
5.25am Give up and go for a pee
7.00am Get up for work and go for a pee.

Snorvey
28 Feb 2013, 16:32
Ha ha ha. Love it.
Non fast day for us today and guess what we're having?
Mince and tatties ( hairy bikers). It's my husbands favourite.
No rice pudding though. I love that too. We used to get it sometimes with a big dollop of homemade jam.
Your post made me quite homesick.
58 posts Page 2 of 4