The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Weightloss but not inch loss ?
17 Apr 2013, 15:02
Now the answer here might be a simple "it's not been long enough" but 2 weeks in I've lost just under 4lb but not the slightest hint of movement on my waist (around the belly button rather than where my jeans sit, which I think is the measurement that matters, correct?) or chest measurements.

Any thoughts on that?
I didnt lose inches very quickly, I think it wasnt untill I lost about 8 or 10 lb before I lost an inch from my waist ,so I wouldnt worry everyone is different
Legs ? I lost fat from my thighs and notice it most on the back of my thighs where I can feel muscles and the like that I didn't use to.
I only started measuring my waist after being on the "diet" for 4-5 months. I've lost quite a bit - gone from an Obese BMI to a just about "normal" one. Delighted with that but my waist measurement has hardly changed!

I should have taken other measurements as I am losing cms/ inches as I am wearing a smaller trouser size and can get in tops that used to be too tight to wear.

Up until recently I was beginning to think that I would be slim all over but for a proper spare tyre of fat round my middle! It is starting to slowly move now but very slowly.

Don't lose heart!
Ahh - that's a little reassuring to hear - thanks all.

Rachel - I did a double-take at your stats - 20kg lost! Blimey - very well done :-)

**edit** - and yes, perhaps I should take a few other measurements, my middle is probably where I'm going to carry what's left!
A few crunches and situps will sort out that inch loss for you. Toning exercises will help a lot.
You are measuring your waist right DadOfTwo, it's a bit pants for you if it isn't budging yet but it surely will as your weight loss continues.

As you probably already know the waist is actually a more important health measure than weight - because visceral fat is really bad (in the long run) whereas fat on thighs and bottom is no problem (healthwise at any rate). It should be less than your hips (for a man) and less than half your height. See the Ashwell Shape Chart:
Thanks. Based on that I have about 7 inches to lose from the waist to nudge in to the green zone. I presume I'm measuring right - around the belly button and with everything relaxed (which actually takes some concentration when you are used to holding it in :-) )
I think the easiest and most natural place/way to measure waist is at the narrowest point which is basically across your belly button as you are doing, you should be relaxed and have breathed out. Take a few readings and use the median or modal one i.e. ignore the outliers.

It can get more complicated than that if you like - see this earlier topic, but it's more important to be consistent in the way you measure so you can see how you are doing on your Progress Tracker here.
Thanks for the info - much appreciated
Even if you suck everything in, it only gives you an advantage that one time if you're looking at the decrease ;-), ditto re finding the narrowest place!
DadofTwo - thanks, I find it hard to believe but it is true!

Dominic - thanks for the chart, I am aiming to get my waist down as instructed but good to see that diagram.

I am going to pilates and I can see some abs lurking under the remaining fat!
12 posts Page 1 of 1