The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

27 posts Page 1 of 2
My Journal
18 Apr 2013, 15:28
When i'm going something I like to talk about it, more as a way to track my own progress and keep an eye on how I'm doing. Unfortunately, telling my friends what I've eaten/how much I've lost tends to get quite boring for them so I'm glad I've found this forum!

I wouldn't say I was particularly "overweight" though I am getting there, I weighed in early last week and discovered I was 13 stone 8lbs or 193lbs, standing at 6"2 that gives me a BMI of 24.8 so just 0.2 points of being overweight.

I discovered this "diet" after watching the Horizon program and decided to give it a go. I'm on week 1, fast day 2 and it's going well so far, I can definitely see myself sticking to this! I tried weight watchers for a while earlier in the year but it didn't really suit me, despite losing 4lbs on that, I put it back on quite quickly!

If I'm honest I'm primarily doing this for the health benefits, though weight loss comes a very close second.
Re: My Journal
18 Apr 2013, 17:59
Hi Dan and welcome.

I'm fasting today and after doing this for quite some time now I find it's quite easy most of the time.
I do hope this works for you. Just stick with it.
Good luck
Lesley
18 Apr 2013, 18:11
Welcome to the club Dan. My stats are pretty close to yours. I started last week and have 4 fast days behind me now. I'm 6'3 and started at right around 200 lbs. I checked yesterday at the end of my fast day and the scale is saying 196. I'm pretty stoked with that. Maybe our situations are similar to Dr Mosley, sort of slender on the outside but carrying fat on the inside. I'm in it mostly for health too, lessen the likelihood of Diabetes and Heart issues. The weight loss is bonus points !
19 Apr 2013, 22:08
Thanks for the welcome!

Week 1 is over, I've weighed myself and I've dropped 4lbs which I'm pretty happy about, though mostly water weight I understand?

Found it quite easy if I'm honest, I'm definitely eating less than I usually would on feed days too. I even find myself looking forward to the next fast day which is definitely something I wasn't expecting, cravings for fatty, sugary foods seem to have dropped too. Before I started a week ago I was drinking 4-6 cans of Coke every single day, that has now dropped to 0 which I'm sure is going to do me great!

I did notice some (TMI WARNING) problems with my bowel movements, but nothing too serious and hopefully that'll correct itself with time. Heres to week 2!
19 Apr 2013, 22:14
Water weight or not, 4lbs is nothing to be sniffed at! Your body will definitely thank you for not drinking Coke anymore :) Aside from a chocolate slip up this week, my cravings for sugary things have stopped too, definitely a welcome side effect.
21 Apr 2013, 19:31
Definitely, very pleased with the 4lbs drop! After a weekend of feeding I'm rather looking forward to tomorrows fsst, though I technically started it at 7PM this evening.

Tomorrows dinner will consist of some freshly cooked Cod fillets and some rice, lovely!
24 Apr 2013, 21:59
Loving this way of eating! Going into my 4th fast already tomorrow and I can't wait! A few things I've noticed at this early stage

- Clearer skin & better hair
- More focused
- Much better quality of sleep
- Lack of wanting to eat "rubbish" food

24 hour fast started at 7PM as usual, so 7PM tomorrow I'll have my 600Kal meal, probably consisting of chicken breast, some salad and maybe a small portion of rice.
25 Apr 2013, 17:57
Excellent going :like:
28 Apr 2013, 20:19
Slightly disappointed this week. I seem to have put 2lbs on despite not over eating and fasting well on the fast days! Despite that though I did lose 0.4 inches around my waist this week which I'm pleased about!

Looking forward to tomorrows fast after a weekend of alcohol!
28 Apr 2013, 22:52
1/2 inch loss is great news! Weight fluctuates all the time, muscles hold on to water, maybe a bit more salt in your diet, maybe you have restocked your glycogen stores in your liver (glycogen holds alot of water, thanks forum nerds! :grin:) maybe lots of things.

Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1925 Average weight loss on 5:2 is 1 lb per week

and this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1006 Why do the scales show an increase when I've been so good.
29 Apr 2013, 17:25
Betsysgr8 wrote: 1/2 inch loss is great news! Weight fluctuates all the time, muscles hold on to water, maybe a bit more salt in your diet, maybe you have restocked your glycogen stores in your liver (glycogen holds alot of water, thanks forum nerds! :grin:) maybe lots of things.

Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1925 Average weight loss on 5:2 is 1 lb per week

and this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1006 Why do the scales show an increase when I've been so good.

Thank you!

The longer I'm on this diet the more I'm learning. For the longest time I thought having 6 small meals a day was important to keep your metabolic rate up and therefore burn more fat. Though since being on 5:2 I've learnt that, that's nothing but a myth!

The "survival mode" in which your body stores everything you eat during times of low food intake was also something I was cautious of, though that's apparently a myth too!

There seems to be so many myths when it comes to food that it's not a surprise so many people struggle with their weight, there's so much wrong information out there!

My mum has just started doing weight watchers for about the 5th time, she says "the diet works for her when shes on it" but she can never seem to go more than 6 weeks before giving in, I'm trying to convince her to start the 5:2 diet but she doesn't understand how it can possibly work, despite explaining it!
29 Apr 2013, 19:09
FatDan wrote: The "survival mode" in which your body stores everything you eat during times of low food intake was also something I was cautious of, though that's apparently a myth too!

There seems to be so many myths when it comes to food that it's not a surprise so many people struggle with their weight, there's so much wrong information out there!

I think 5:2 prevents our bodies from entering any form of 'survival mode' because we only restrict calories for short periods of time then return to 'normal' caloric intake. Hence, we are never truly deprived. My theory from what I've learned on this forum. :geek:

Let your Mum do WW, she will just have to see how you are getting on and not being restricted to saving points for the occasional treat. When she is done with her 6 weeks, she will see how successful you are and change her ways. :lol:
02 May 2013, 09:16
Betsysgr8 wrote:
FatDan wrote: The "survival mode" in which your body stores everything you eat during times of low food intake was also something I was cautious of, though that's apparently a myth too!

I think 5:2 prevents our bodies from entering any form of 'survival mode' because we only restrict calories for short periods of time then return to 'normal' caloric intake. Hence, we are never truly deprived. My theory from what I've learned on this forum. :geek:

Let your Mum do WW, she will just have to see how you are getting on and not being restricted to saving points for the occasional treat. When she is done with her 6 weeks, she will see how successful you are and change her ways. :lol:

Good idea! She did manage to lose 11lbs this week, but I don't think it's something that can be stuck with long term personally, having been on it before.

Fasting again today, its quite early and I'm starving so I think today might end up being quite tough, better get busy!
06 May 2013, 13:09
Didn't lose anything this week whatsoever so I'm still stuck on 13st 6. Seem to have lost slightly around the waist but that's just going by my trousers.

Hoping to actually lose something this week!
09 May 2013, 14:51
I'm on my 8th fast today, haven't felt hungry one bit! Easiest one by far.

I had a shave today, something I haven't done since I started this diet and was surprised to see that I have cheek bones, haven't seen those for a while! Amazing
27 posts Page 1 of 2