The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

16 posts Page 1 of 2

Should the Progress Reports forum be archived in favour of using Blogs for progress reports?

Poll ended at 04 May 2013, 23:04

Yes
16%
No
68%
Don't mind
16%
Total votes : 68

I'm starting to look at how best to organise things at the forum a little better, for example by adding some sub-forums to help categorise topics.

I'm just wondering what folks would think to using the Blogs feature instead of posting in the Progress Reports forum, as it seems a lot of folks here use this area to keep sort of a diary of their progress - which is sort of what the Blogs can be used for!

Don't worry, I'm not threatening to delete the forum or anything, just seeing what folks think of the idea. Feel free to vote and/or post opinions below.
While blogs are probably okay when it comes to documenting our personal journeys, I believe the forum is so much more. The forum format allows discussion and even the opportunity for others to provide comments and words of support!

The other benefit I find of the current forum format is that you have a recently updated threads section on top of the homepage, allowing me to check new posts or newly updated posts. I don't believe I would look up blogs as often

But that is just me
Sorry Dude, I think you've misunderstood - I only meant scrapping this individual forum (Progress Reports) and not all the forums! Users can still comment on and discuss their personal journeys via the blog comments :)

I'll reword my post to make it clearer :)
I enjoy reading the occasional blog but feel it doesn't invite the reader to offer any encouragement or feedback as well as the progress reports thread. I suppose the Progress reports thread wouldn't be as cumbersome if we all just made our own one thread and added to it on our journey, instead of making a new thread for each milestone (or lack of milestone) acheivement.

It's a tough job you have there Moogie and I thank you for doing it! :smile:
Maybe I was just having a bad computer day, but I didn't have an easy time navigating the blog comments when reading blogs.
I regard the blogs as something quite different to the forum posts. More personal, considered and long term rather than a forum post which can be a spur of the moment thing. I often read blogs but don't comment on them in the same way as I do on posts.
Moogie,
Thanks for the rephrasing. To be honest, it does not change my vote for the reasons outlined by others abve
Hi Moogie, I don't think I'd like the Progress Reports to disappear. I too love reading these and am less inclined to look at the blogs. What I prefer though (and find a lot more beneficial) is for people to post under this section only when they've been sticking at it for at least a good few weeks. Would a text box like the one you've got in the newbie section help with this (if you agree with my comments of course)?
When someone uses the Progress Reports we all get to hear about it but that isn't the case with the blogs. You need to look for the person and then view their blog. Peoples progress is very important and inspirational to all of us where blogs can be missed. Personally I rarely read the blogs. The way I use the forum is to look at the new posts.
I come to the Progress reports a lot and get a lot of motivation and also advice from it seeing what others have lost or the challenges they have faced. I haven't been into any blogs yet. I have looked at the inspirational weight loss stories section, which I enjoyed and I see this as like a mini blog. I think the key things that people new to the this forum want to know is how much weight they can expect to lose and agree that what kencc is true about people not wanting to 'trawl' through blogs to find key information. Thanks for asking for members comments :)
I agree with what many have already said. I too love reading everyone's success stories and find them very motivational. I do agree that if someone starts a post, then to keep adding to it gives us a full picture into their journey rather than having bits here and bits there.
I know this is not the case, but I feel blogs are very personal, where as posts in the progress section are there for sharing!
I find I actually will read posts rather than seek out blogs individually.

Maybe instead, encourage people to keep one post active for their reports (like I and a lot of others do) rather than a single post each week?
I voted no too.
I wish there was a way of not having "I am new, just starting" threads not show up in "new posts"

Or just one thread called "Newbies introduce yourself"

That sounds grumpy, sorry.
boboff wrote: I wish there was a way of not having "I am new, just starting" threads not show up in "new posts"

Or just one thread called "Newbies introduce yourself"

That sounds grumpy, sorry.

If you go to the New to 5:2 forum and click mark topics read and then click on view unread posts you'll remove most of the "I'm new" posts.
16 posts Page 1 of 2