The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

45 posts Page 1 of 3
Health inspection results
20 May 2013, 07:27
I had a helth inspection last week. I didn´t take blood tests before I started 5:2, but these tests were great! I have never had so good results on my blood tests. Health nurse said that just keep on going. :grin: Even though I haven´t lost so much weight, everybody says that I look slimmer that before. So, this really works. :like: Very happy with the results and going to continue with this.
Re: Health inspection results
20 May 2013, 07:35
I must admit I used to dislike going for my annual MOT, but this next one will hopefully be a bit different!
Its not until next January, but there again, hopefully I'll have lost even more weight by then. I'd managed to lose about a stone last year and already half a stone this last month since starting 5:2, might be an eye opener for nursey when I see her next :wink:
20 May 2013, 08:27
Excellent news AM73. Even more interesting I think that your results are good even though you haven't lost so much weight. 5:2 fasting is meant to be good for our health even apart from weight loss - so your results fit with that. A pity that you (and I, and most of us) didn't have the tests done just before starting 5:2 as well!
20 May 2013, 16:36
I have had to delay my blood profile for 2 weeks, due to being away from home. I am wondering just what it will show when done in 8 days' time, especially as my weight loss seems to be much slower now. But, I am still keeping to 5:2ing since 30th January, combined with good tips I have picked up from the Forum for managing hunger pangs, and consequently eating a much healthier diet. My main objective is a healthy profile, as may or may not be obvious next week. But I am keeping my fingers crossed that the bloods will be at least as good as they were in March, which showed a vast improvement, and that my weight remains constant, or, with luck it
reduces a little whilst away. SO, WATCH THIS SPACE AT THE END OF MAY.
29 May 2013, 00:04
Well there we are! I have cracked the 10kg weight loss. I have had my blood profile done today, so will soon know if things have improved in the 4 months of continuous weight reduction enabled by 5:2ing, alongside a drastic reduction in carbohydrate intake, but adequate calorific intake for my age, height and activity profile. If my results show a significant improvement in health criteria, then I don't see why I should still be considered just 'anecdotal' ' by the cynics. But lets just see what the outcome is!
29 May 2013, 00:38
I think the reason that it would still be considered 'anecdotal' is that you won't know what to attribute the improvement to: weight loss, IF, or low carb.

In any case, congrats on your weight loss and fingers crossed the blood test will show an improvement!
31 May 2013, 23:20
So, my blood profile, and body stats, after 14 weeks of 5:2ing.
This is in no way a recommendation or endorsement for anyone to copy. It is just what I decided to do after much thought and research into my medication load, and general worries regarding my increasing weight, and deteriorating health.
Sept 2012, joined gym in hope of getting fitter and lighter. After 5 months, had lost 4 lbs, and felt better physically, but blood profile showed no improvements, as had been the case for 10 years.
January 2013, started 5:2 Fast Diet, and joined Forum. This introduced me to a wealth of info on the internet, causing me to question my GP as to the safety of my multi-medications. This was not well received, but I was not deterred, and determined to get off all meds, whilst improving my health. It seemed a steep hill to climb.
Within the first 6 weeks I had discovered low carbing (60g CHO approx per day), and decided to follow this along with 5:2ing. My blood profile was amazing, and after seeing an endocrinologist, he was impressed with it, and gave me advice as to how I could reduce my medications. In reality, I have now weaned myself off everything. I have been a cholesterol sceptic for many years, but never dared stop the statins, and was discouraged from stopping antihypertensives.
After 14 weeks, I reached my goal weight of 150lbs, and am now losing weight very slowly, but I am 2 stones lighter than last September.
My body fat has reduced from 39.3% to 33.5%.
My BMI has reduced from 26.7 to 22.8.
My waist has reduced from 38.5" to 31".
This week, my HbA1c is down to 6.2% without any meds, (down from the already well reducing 6.9% whilst taking maximum oral hypoglycaemics, and 6 weeks' 5:2ing.)
My triglycerides remain at a healthy 1.3, better than for years.
My HDL is climbing higher, standing at 1.7,
BUT ..... LDL and total cholesterol are much higher. I know this will cause me confrontation with my GP., but I have checked all my ratios, and they seem acceptable to me, and until the NHS start to do a differential count for LDL and VLDL, I remain unconvinced to return to taking statins.
I feel fit and healthy. I think I look good, and am more optimistic for the future. My husband has joined me on my journey, and has now lost 2.5 stones. He has not had any medical conditions to consider like me, but has taken on board all that we have discovered since January regarding the influence of food on health. You see, I have followed the NHS mantra regarding diabetes management for 10 years, but after learning about Dr Lustig's book on sugar and fructose, and the business surrounding cholesterol management I want the opportunity to follow my new regime, without pressure from my GP.
This is my personal story. I hope in encourages people to keep 5:2ing, which I consider has been shown to be a safe and sustainable weight loss regime. I think I have been quite drastic in what I have done, and once again, I must warn against anyone taking rash decisions about lifestyle or medical treatments based on one individual's story.
31 May 2013, 23:27
:victory: :victory: :victory:
31 May 2013, 23:28
It is your life!

Way to go!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
01 Jun 2013, 00:27
I wonder why 5:2 increases cholesterol. Mine went up too since I started fasting!
01 Jun 2013, 05:10
That is so encouraging 140lbs. Well done for turning your health around. Long may it continue :)
01 Jun 2013, 05:40
140lbs - well done on your weight loss! You say that you are on a low-carb diet now, plus 5:2. Same here!

It is never a surprise that most people, who are on a low-carb regime, lose weight easily.

There are many comments from those who used to follow this WOE but gave up, because they found it too restricting.

I don't find it to be so at all, but it does mean having to keep away from certain foods.

I was disappointed to see - on the gooseberry and rhubarb glut thread - all the unhealthy suggestions for the fruit surpluses.

I know MM said we could eat what we liked on non-fast days, but that sort of stuff is really bad for us.

Losing weight is great, but, in the meantime, we should be trying to eat foods which are health-giving.
01 Jun 2013, 06:05
Thanks for sharing these great results, 140lbs!

Re the cholestorol, there is info about this in Caroline's post here. Were the cholestorol readings taken during fasting or the day after fasting, as this might explain the raised levels?

What is your diet apart from being low-carb (60g CHO/day)? Do you know the proportions of protein and fat (saturated/unsaturated)? Out of interest...

Have you weaned yourself off all treats (cake, chocolate, puddings)? I'm just in awe of anyone who can be that disciplined about carbs all the time!
01 Jun 2013, 08:04
Really inspirational! I'm so pleased for you :victory:
01 Jun 2013, 08:10
140lbs - I lost 15 kgs in 5 months on a low-carb diet. It's such an easy way to go!

I wonder how many on the 5:2 WOE could expect to see a weight loss like yours, if they eat freely on non-fast days, without restricting carbs.

I know that people on the forum will be full of admiration for you, but would they want to follow your lead, and do as YOU do?!

Dominic asked if you have had to give up cake, chocolate, puddings etc. I await your reply!

I eat them as an occasional treat, but it triggers my cravings when I do.
45 posts Page 1 of 3