The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

31 posts Page 1 of 3
Winsome's Winding Road
05 Mar 2014, 21:36
That's what my weight journey has been like, all my life. As Sheryl Crow sings "every day is a winding road, I get a little bit closer to feeling fine" :smile:

History first:

I was a chubby baby.

I was a plump child, although not obese.

I was a fat teenager, living in the Middle East for most of it. My mother is an extremely good cook and fully embraced the Middle Eastern house wife's custom of spending many hours a day wrapping samosas by the hundred, rolling deep fried dough in syrup and pistachios... You name it, we spent hours making and eating it.

My first taste of dieting came when we were due to come back to the UK. Suddenly my mother decided that my weight was a problem - after all, there were going to be no more kaftans and abayas to hide under. Abroad, she (we) made most of our clothes so sizing was never an issue. So, she put me on a diet, for three months. The same food every day unless we were visiting friends, which was rare:

30g Bran flakes with semi skimmed milk and a few raisins for breakfast. A small white roll with marmite and no butter, filled with salad (no dressing) for lunch. A small portion of dinner. No dessert. 50 lengths of the pool every day. I was 16.

Since then I have wound my way between a size 10-12 and an 18 (UK) and been on various well known diets and a few obscure ones. The longest I stayed slim was between 1999 and 2001 - lost weight with WW, found exercise and dumped a husband along the way. The slim streak went to pot when I met hubby number two. Clubbing three times a week and living down the gym in between got swapped for romantic meals, bottles of wine etc.

Got back to my target weight in 2003 for our wedding, but the weight started going back on during the honeymoon and the following year I was pregnant with twins! Got back to target in February 2012 with SW, but again, lost the plot on holiday that year and struggled to get back on plan. In January last year I sat in yet another paid for meeting, surrounded by people for the most part like myself - serial dieters - listening to the leader discuss 101 ways to kid yourself that a diet yoghurt was a treat. I had finally had enough.

Mimi's article in the DM came along and I thought what the heck? Bought the book and immediately started following the 5:2, losing weight nicely. Yet again, a holiday threw me off course and I regained some of the weight. Couldn't get back into it, kept trying and failing to fast. However I lurked on here because somewhere in my head I KNEW this is the WOE for me.

@Debs posted about EOD fasting and Dr Varaday and that got me back into it. Thanks to that post (cheers Debs) I'm now happily doing EOD/ADF and am lighter than I've been since summer 2012. It's SUCH a great feeling :grin:
Re: Winsome's Winding Road
05 Mar 2014, 21:51
What a journey @Winsome and you have twins? Aww I always thought it would be great to have twins :)

I'm just like you and owe @Debs a great deal because she also led me to EOD by Krista Varaday...and now here we are, the pair of us, fully fledged EOD/ADFers!

Well done on your journey so far...here's to that winding road...winding down...to the lowest weight you've ever seen...and staying there :wink:

Bean :heart:
05 Mar 2014, 22:29
Well done on your journey so far Winsome! I'm excited to see your progress here. :)
05 Mar 2014, 22:32
Ah bless your cotton socks you two, glad it is working so well for you both too! And not costing a thing either!
Interesting to hear about your background Winsome, mmm, baklava!
05 Mar 2014, 22:38
Thanks for sharing your story, and wonderful journey so far @Winsome - congratulations. :like: :like:

You are such an inspiring person @Debs - kisses and hugs to you. :heart:

cheers Maggie :smile: :smile:
05 Mar 2014, 23:09
Quite a story Winsome. Congrats on your success. Have you taught your children your Mum's recipes?
06 Mar 2014, 09:35
@clairemarie my girls are pretty reasonable cooks, considering that they are only nine :wink: The great thing is that they appreciate lovely food, are good eaters, but have been blessed with their father's 'off switch' when it comes to eating. Naturally slender like him too.

11.13.2 this morning - fasted yesterday.
06 Mar 2014, 10:01
Hi @Winsome

After reading your story above, I'm so happy that this way is working out for you :heart:

Well done on what you have achieved so far :like: :victory: and good luck with the rest of your journey :clover: :heart: :heart: :heart:
06 Mar 2014, 11:46
That was very interesting to read x thanks for sharing
How lovely to have twin girls!
Glad ADF s working out for you.. I am mulling it over...people here seem to love it but i find 2 days fasting a week arduous enough..but i might,just might give it a go.. X
06 Mar 2014, 12:11
Congratulations Winsome. I love hearing member's stories. I am convinced 5:2 is a great WOL for me, I do follow 4:3 when it fits in with my social life but I am not sure I can manage ADF yet. :-)
06 Mar 2014, 14:32
Well done winsome it looks like you are at last on top of the dreaded appetite most of us suffer from the same problem. I have twins, they will be 40 this year I also have another 3 children and if I had had my way they would all have been twins, I was and still am so proud of my 2 for 1 and they have a very special relationship.
06 Mar 2014, 14:54
Thanks Winsome. Fabulous story. I have been quietly ADF'ing this week and you have just hardened my resolve Thank you :like:
06 Mar 2014, 15:59
Winsome, thanks for sharing. I think I will need to ADF next week and I'll be popping into the ADF tent!
06 Mar 2014, 17:23
@PennyForthem i am trying to pluck up courage for ADF..i might need to hold your hand to give me courage x
10 Mar 2014, 11:20
Not a normal week:

I've had flu, am still rather rough, have barely eaten for days and am struggling with food... unsurprisingly the scales are showing great numbers but we all know that sort of loss is temporary :neutral:

Given my usual appetite I sincerely doubt this period of under-eating will last very long!
31 posts Page 1 of 3