The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

27 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: 5 REASONS TO SKIP BREAKFAST
24 Sep 2014, 10:39
@carorees - interesting questions that it might be worth you posing to Lagakos in the comments? As you can see, he's very good at responding to questions tho' my feeling is (as you know) that all too often clinical trial design never seems matched to our specific interests :) And, although the recent publications should have their recruitment criteria available on clinical trials.gov (or wherever they're registered) it's rare for an older publication to have this level of information available.

I should mention that some of Lagakos' posts are excellent reviews tho' the nature of the age of publication of the studies he discusses may raise similar issues to those that you mention

http://caloriesproper.com/skipping-meal ... azing-etc/

http://caloriesproper.com/carb-back-loa ... etabolism/

http://caloriesproper.com/carb-back-loading-take-ii/

Lagakos also offers a fine discussion of circadian modulation for people who experience difficulties with insomnia.

Like Adel Moussa of
Suppversity
Lagakos offers some useful albeit technical overviews of potentially useful applications of nutrition/exercise/circadian research. E.g.,
http://suppversity.blogspot.co.uk/searc ... nt+fasting
24 Sep 2014, 10:43
Thank you ladies for those interesting posts. Like Rawkaren, I get up at 4.30 every day at camp which makes holding out until lunch very hard. I wonder if doing things the other way round might be better off, 8:16 in fact.
Always interesting to see different perspectives.

Debs
25 Sep 2014, 06:46
I've been thinking about Bill Lagakos' overview and decided to experiment with my nutrient timing.

Yesterday's FD was a little more generous than usual (but still <450kcals) as I'm experimenting with shifting more of my kcals to earlier in the day (breakfast), rather than later. It's based on trying to establish a better circadian rhythm before the clocks go back (I'm a poor sleeper and clock changes mess me around) and Lagakos' review of research findings that indicate our muscles are more insulin sensitive in the morning. Good discussion, summarised as:
"Optimal: eat more when the tissue-specific circadian regulation of insulin sensitivity is high in muscle and low in adipose = earlier in the day...

Nutrient timing > CICO. Period… however, all of this is assuming a a plant-based, low net carb, whole foods template. And a protein-rich breakfast; not typical breakfast food [cereal-based undesirables: pastries, cereals etc.]."
There's considerably more nuance to the issue and much depends on whether you have other essentials in hand, such as sleep but I need to try out every sensible modification that might preserve my muscle mass.
http://caloriesproper.com/afternoon-dia ... nt-timing/
I'd like to be established in the rhythm of this before my surgeries - normally, I like to eat dinner with DH but as he would have to prepare it while I'm recuperating/rehabbing then it probably won't be as disruptive a change as it would be at other times.

I normally like to commute on an virtually empty stomach so my breakfast will have to be a little later for now - but I'll see what happens.
25 Sep 2014, 13:11
I started off fasting with the idea that I couldn't do without breakfast. But I went in guns blazing and did my first ever fast as a dinner only meal and survived. Then I found I couldn't actually eat breakfast the next morning. It was a revelation to me.
Hubby has never eaten breakfast and is underweight if anything and my two sons prefer their cereals at suppertime if they have any. So we have gone from being a 6 loaf a week, plus two boxes of cereal family, to a 1 maybe 2 loaves of bread a week and a box of cereal a month family. No one has noticed any change in energy levels etc.

What I do notice, is that if I do ever have a carb heavy breakfast, I will pick and nibble all day. Having a breakfast would negate any chance of a fast that day, completely.
25 Sep 2014, 13:15
Hi Julie, lovely to see you posting again. Sounds like things are going well for you. Love to the family and a special hug for your lovely other half

Ballerina x :heart:
25 Sep 2014, 14:56
Awww! Thanks @Ballerina. The break and enforced chill has helped a lot. Now I have my fingers crossed that the fasting will fall in line as well. My appetite is certainly much more moderate than it was in the past.
26 Sep 2014, 00:15
carorees wrote: Interesting links there @SSure. I wonder though whether the studies on insulin responses with and without breakfast were done in people who usually skipped breakfast or who usually ate it and if there would be any difference? Similarly, are there differences in people who are morning people vs evening people?

Carorees, you voiced my thoughts exactly, and I'd be really interested in the results if you do find studies...with a quick search I haven't found much. I'm most definitively a "morning person", and I find my hunger levels better and eating patterns much more settled when I've eaten breakfast. And I'm not much enamoured of the popular breakfast cereals either, so I guess what I eat tends to be lower GI and higher protein than a lot of the sugary cereals many eat.

I guess what I really appreciate with a lot of recent studies I've read is that they're acknowledging that diet and exercise need to be tailored for the individual rather than hard-and-fast rules applying to all.
26 Sep 2014, 17:41
It's funny how a lot of us fasters don't fancy breakfast, even after going to bed feeling pretty ravenous :confused:
26 Sep 2014, 18:08
nursebean wrote: It's funny how a lot of us fasters don't fancy breakfast, even after going to bed feeling pretty ravenous :confused:

Did I read this right, from the former "Queen of Breakfast Cereals"!!
26 Sep 2014, 18:29
I know! I have significantly reduced my intake of the cereal. BUT...just because I don't have it at breakfast time... :shock:
26 Sep 2014, 21:26
Madcatlady wrote:
nursebean wrote: It's funny how a lot of us fasters don't fancy breakfast, even after going to bed feeling pretty ravenous :confused:

Did I read this right, from the former "Queen of Breakfast Cereals"!!

I second that, absolutely amazing or what? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
26 Sep 2014, 22:05
:shock: :wink:
27 posts Page 2 of 2