The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

27 posts Page 1 of 2
5 REASONS TO SKIP BREAKFAST
23 Sep 2014, 16:48
As seen on Yahoo today - I guess the message is getting through, even here in the U.S.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/5-reasons- ... 84338.html
Re: 5 REASONS TO SKIP BREAKFAST
23 Sep 2014, 16:57
Was a good read, especially liked the bit about it usually being carb heavy and we could all do with reducing them . Plus it helps us be more in tune with our bodies. To be honest, fasting for me has shown me that I'm not as Hungary as I used to think I was.
Thank you.
23 Sep 2014, 17:26
Very tempted to post this on the Slimming World page where I am still a "member"! Wonder if they still preach eating breakfast and snacking all day if you want to - probably do! Will control my urge though :grin:
23 Sep 2014, 18:33
Madcatlady wrote: Very tempted to post this on the Slimming World page where I am still a "member"! Wonder if they still preach eating breakfast and snacking all day if you want to - probably do! Will control my urge though :grin:

I

Nice one......let that chimp out of its cage . Lol :grin:
@Madcatlady
23 Sep 2014, 19:09
A good read but I'd like to stick up for the breakfast! I get up at 4.30am to 5am most days and in the gym at 8am. I need to eat before I go and also afterward . I have tried to exercise in a fasted state and just can't do it if I want to train hard unless it's a bulletproof coffee and even then it's not quite the same. So I prefer to skip dinner in the evening and close the kitchen at lunchtime during the week.

I really enjoy my breakfast and it looks these days more like an evening meal as I eat a large side of broccoli slaw and tomato salsa with my egg pancake!

I agree wholeheartedly about the traditional carbfest breakfast with cereals and danish etc etc. It is just not necessary.
23 Sep 2014, 19:21
carieoates wrote:
Madcatlady wrote: Very tempted to post this on the Slimming World page where I am still a "member"! Wonder if they still preach eating breakfast and snacking all day if you want to - probably do! Will control my urge though :grin:

I

Nice one......let that chimp out of its cage . Lol :grin:
@Madcatlady

That really made me laugh@Carieoates! X
23 Sep 2014, 20:51
rawkaren wrote: A good read but I'd like to stick up for the breakfast! ... So I prefer to skip dinner in the evening and close the kitchen at lunchtime during the week.
I agree wholeheartedly about the traditional carbfest breakfast with cereals and danish etc etc. It is just not necessary.
There have been several excellent discussions about meal timing and nutrient partitioning at Bill Lagakos' blog, Calories Proper.

One of the more recent reviews suggests that the benefits of skipping breakfast or dinner may depend on when you exercise (as per @rawkaren) and your status as obese, diabetic, hyperglycaemic, pre-diabetic etc.

http://caloriesproper.com/afternoon-dia ... nt-timing/

As Lagakos stresses, little of the nuance of timing matters if it's cancelled by poor sleep, mis-matched circadian rhythms or other disruptive perturbations. For most of us, if it's something we'd like to try, it's probably something to be decided in this context and from our observational data of how we progress.
23 Sep 2014, 22:07
many thanks for this excellent article @lovemyparrot I have never been able to eat breakfast, certainly the 'cardboard' variety, I really feel sick if I eat early in the morning.

If I have anything, it will be later at brunch and only on the week ends - and then it will be bacon and eggs plus some mushrooms and tomato all without any bread.

cheers Maggie :smile:
24 Sep 2014, 02:07
Like Karen, I need breakfast. But I really just want a small meal to hold me over to lunch time. These days it's usually a soft boiled egg, and occasionally a bit more on weekends. I'm trying to avoid carbs in the morning, and unless I need a piece of toast to sop up the yolk of my sunny-side-up eggs, I nearly always succeed!
24 Sep 2014, 03:20
SSure wrote:
rawkaren wrote: A good read but I'd like to stick up for the breakfast! ... So I prefer to skip dinner in the evening and close the kitchen at lunchtime during the week.
There have been several excellent discussions about meal timing and nutrient partitioning at Bill Lagakos' blog, Calories Proper.

One of the more recent reviews suggests that the benefits of skipping breakfast or dinner may depend on when you exercise (as per @rawkaren) and your status as obese, diabetic, hyperglycaemic, pre-diabetic etc.

http://caloriesproper.com/afternoon-dia ... nt-timing/

As Lagakos stresses, little of the nuance of timing matters if it's cancelled by poor sleep, mis-matched circadian rhythms or other disruptive perturbations. For most of us, if it's something we'd like to try, it's probably something to be decided in this context and from our observational data of how we progress.

What a really interesting site @ssure. Thanks for flagging it. Not sure I understand it all but I do feel slightly vindicated that there is still a place for breakfast for some. Does this make me a circadian bio hacker? :bugeyes: Flagging to @debs as I think she would find it interesting from a health perspective.
24 Sep 2014, 03:57
Thanks for posting this. I love articles that recognize there are differences in people and their habits, preferences and how their bodies worked. It's great that someone reasonable gets published and says "hey, either way is ok" :-)

But since I personally don't usually want breakfast, I'm happy to see the arguments why that's ok :-)
24 Sep 2014, 07:57
Interesting article @lovemyparrot - sorry I'm late to the party! As a nurse, I was always told to advise people that breakfast was vital in order to lose weight. Its encouraging to discover that skipping breakfasts doesn't impact on your metabolism but its what you eat that does that. Since I've just started 16:8 its a relief for me! But if you like breakfast, then I guess that's ok too.

I must say I always used to love breakfast, but when I think about it, I'm not really that hungry (or hungary as Oatesy likes to put it) in the morning...so why eat if you're not hungry?!! :confused:

As for Slimming World...I couldn't even get started on that idea. Too much food!

Blimey, did I really say that?! :shock:
24 Sep 2014, 08:49
[quote="nursebean"]

I must say I always used to love breakfast, but when I think about it, I'm not really that hungry

@nursebeanBeanie Bobs, my flabber has never so gasted! I can't believe you have given up eating breakfast, never in a million years thought you would. OH still is firmly of the belief that if breakfast is not ingested IMMEDIATELY on getting out of bed, at the very least, a pestilence will descend upon the household and we will all be doomed :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
24 Sep 2014, 09:03
Interesting links there @SSure. I wonder though whether the studies on insulin responses with and without breakfast were done in people who usually skipped breakfast or who usually ate it and if there would be any difference? Similarly, are there differences in people who are morning people vs evening people?
24 Sep 2014, 09:15
Hmmm VirginMedia has blocked that link to me, marked as inappropriate!

I am currently eating brunch of two medium soft boiled eggs on feed days around 10-11am that fills me up for several hours, generally only get hungry around 4pm, my normal peckish time pre-evening dinner. I tend to eat an apple and a few nuts then.
27 posts Page 1 of 2