The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

29 posts Page 1 of 2
I was reading up on various spots about 5:2 stuff. I found this blog post:

http://feedfastfeast.com/2012/08/25/gra ... the-horns/

The writer's primary question is the whole "what is better, break up your calories throughout the day, or save them up to consume all at once, or to do a total 36 hour water fast" thing that always incites so much discussion here.

What is really fun, IMO, is that he actually sent emails to four of the primary scientists involved in the Horizon documentary and received answers from three of them!

It was a very enlightening read.

In the end, what I got from it is that yes, there is an "ideal" method to maximize the health benefits - but 'what works for you' is the most important point.

If I ought to have put this in 'nerdy stuff', I'm sorry. Please move for me.

Cheers!
Thank you for the link, good sum up of intermittent fasting.
Nice information. Thanks for sharing!
I was wondering those things too!

Especially regarding the idea of 1 meal for all your calories during a fast day... I've been doing that for around 3 weeks or so, and I really like the full fast from dinner the night before to a 500 calorie dinner the night of the fast.
That was very interesting, thank you for the post. I often do 24 hour fasts, usually on Friday when we go out for (a LARGE!) lunch, it is the only meal I have that day and as I never eat breakfast then my next meal is Saturday lunchtime. Quite often I only eat lunch, this is not deliberate but if I eat a fairly large meal then I am full for the rest of the day, it's something I just do naturally. I don't restrict calories as I am now on maintenance and find this way of life/eating SO easy but, it suits my personality but my husband would rather eat razor blades than do the same as me.

Ballerina x :heart:
Thanks for sharing this, a really interesting read!
That's great - many thanks - been trying to sift thru everything I could find. Of course it still leaves questions :>) But really interesting thanks - well done for finding it.
Thank you Shanti for the link & most interesting information. I have been eating only once at dinner since starting fasting & as I am interested in preventing Dementia this does seem the most proactive way of 5:2 fasting. But I have fallen back into having one or two coffees with a splash of milk during my fasting day because I dislike black coffee so perhaps I may have to "train" myself to drink black coffee or go without :frown:
Thanks Shanti good on you for finding the blogger who got replies from the doctors on the Horizon program. As mentioned very comprehensive info. Interesting about the 24 hour fast. I will have to try it to see how it is as usually I have 2 meals on fast days and like Isis I add the milk in my teas. For the ongoing health benefits maybe that will be my 6:1 model for maintenance. I be curious to try the 12pm to 2pm 26 hr time frame but I'd be looking for that scabby dog and his mate to eat me thinks
I have just bought myself a Dolce coffee machine using Nescafé pods so I'm hoping different varieties of coffee will be interesting enough to drink them without milk on fast days :lol:
Thank you for posting that. I've bookmarked it. A large part of the reason I'm doing 5:2 is to prevent health problems. This blog post has motivated me to try joining the ranks of the 36 hour liquid fasters. I've only had black coffee and water all day. Fingers crossed!
I have been contemplating this overnight - interesting that they all have different ideas...and Prof Valter Longo promoting high carb/low protein is interesting. Doesn't say whether it should be unprocessed fruit & veg or if processed grains are OK - also no idea whether low GI better for health benefits (certainly for weight loss). My thoughts are you can only really check yourself. Dr Mosley found that his blood tests were good after doing 5:2, maybe ours will be too? I have been putting off blood tests because of time and I don't really have a Dr, but I think I should go get them done and see if there are any improvements. The weight has gone, so 4:3/5:2 has done that. I shall contemplate some more, then find a Dr & have the tests done.
Thanks for the link. When I first started I did the 24 hour fast and one meal. I used the book and this is what I learned from there. I felt great and the weight loss was good. Recently I've got a bit more relaxed and sometimes have a snack at lunchtime. I'm now on a plateau. Back to basics I think :) will let you know how I get on. X
According to the blog post and comments, Krista Varady were planning a study regarding the effect of eating during the fast, results should be out this Autumn 2013.

We've got to look out for these reports!
29 posts Page 1 of 2