The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

29 posts Page 2 of 2
Thank you. I'm off to have a read now :)
I just found this post and it is an excellent read. Thank you for the link.
Call me thick, but eating one meal doesn't necessarily mean that one goes without food for 24 hours.
Even if a fast lasts 36 hours, it is not guaranteed that a person will eat their meal at exactly 24 hours after the previous or before the next one, right?
Oh that's too bad! I really don't think I can do just one meal on a fast day. I like to split my 500 cals between lunch and dinner. I don't think I could keep my temper at work with zero food! I think I'll stick to my way, since it's working for me, and maybe when I'm smaller I'll think about it again.
Erm… This link - along with many others - has been on the Mumsnet 'Tips and Links' thread for the last 10 months. It's well worth reading through the whole thread and following the links.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/fasting_diet/a1581821-Tips-and-links-for-those-practicing-Intermittent-Fasting-IF-5-2-or-Alternate-Day-Fasting-ADF

The main Mumsnet threads - currently they are up to number 25:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/fasting_diet/a1820028-The-5-2-thread-number-25-One-year-on-from-Dr-Mosleys-Horizon-ep

…began directly after the Horizon programme was shown, last August. Shortly after I joined, in October, I gathered all the links that had been posted on the first few threads into one, and it's grown into the resource it is now.

The ethos on the Mumsnet threads is very similar to the ethos on these threads - where everyone supports everyone else.

The OP on each of the main Mumsnet threads contains many links for the beginner - all in one place, including a link to the Horizon programme. And if you have a few hours (or days :smile: ) to spare, it's very inspirational to read through all 25 threads!

Just a couple more links: There is a wonderful recipe thread for 5:2 (and other) meals, begun by frenchfancy:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/fasting_diet/a1567814-5-2-Fast-day-recipe-ideas

And Talkinpeace started a series of 'Maintainers' threads for those of us who were maintaining our weight instead of losing:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/fasting_diet/a1806567-IF-4-3-5-2-Maintaining-a-healthy-weight-Chapter-3

Finally, a little while ago, MNHQ decided to create a 5:diet sub-form:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/fasting_diet
TML13 wrote: Call me thick, but eating one meal doesn't necessarily mean that one goes without food for 24 hours.
Even if a fast lasts 36 hours, it is not guaranteed that a person will eat their meal at exactly 24 hours after the previous or before the next one, right?

Well, presumably if one's goal is to fast for 24 hours, then that person is paying a little attention to time. Perhaps not exactly, but if one stops eating supper or any other calories by 6 p.m. on night one and does not consume any calories before 6 p.m. on evening two, then that person has done a twenty-four hour fast. If that person then skips that meal on day two and continues to consume no calories until roughly 6 a.m. on day three, one has then gone 36 hours fasting.

Not for everyone, of course. I've also read some research that suggests going 100% no-carb during the 'fast' time is just as good as complete no-calorie fasting as long as it is completely zero carb consumption. That doesn't work so well for me. If I eat anything, I get hungry, full stop. If I don't eat, I don't get hungry.

And thanks, Breadandwine, for pointing out those additional links. I didn't mean to repeat something that had been here before. :)
Thanks for the link Shanti. It was very interesting. I've mostly been dividing my 500 cals between breakfast, lunch and dinner. A couple of times I've skipped breakfast on fast days. Generally, I'm a three meals a day girl. However, I'm really keen on reaping the health benefits as well as losing weight. So, I may try doing a full 24 hours fast unless I get desperate for something to eat!!
No, no, Shanti - I meant no criticism. Links like these can't be mentioned too often in my book.

It just gave me an opportunity to bring in more links. Thanks for starting the thread. :smile:
Thanks so much for sharing! I forgot that Dr. Longo advocated eating less protein and more carbs. I like that man more already seeing as I feel really really sick when I attempt high protein/high fat/low carb diets. :grin:
A protein only fast means very little food, I'd die of hunger for sure, LOL!

Tracie, I found (by experimenting, of course) that I can do 3 days with no carbs. On day 4, I get a glorious migraine. :-(
The idea that the feasting/fasting principle can apply to carbs as well as calories is interesting. Thus means a couple of days a week with no/extremely low carbs and/or a couple of days with no/extremely low calories. This marries the 5:2 diet with the two day diet rather nicely! I am thinking ahead to maintenance and considering the idea of continuing to have two fasting days a week but not counting the calories in my one fast day meal which will be low carb.
I am currently doing one or two days with low fat protein (no carbs, no fats) but not on my fast days. They are still low cal days (I rarely exceed 1000 calories) but I couldn't do with eating only 500 cals of protein. I'd die of hunger or my stomach would kill me, LOL!
It was very insightful to read through your post and the given links. I am glad there is a greater knowledge-base being gathered between all of us.
I shall begin the 24 hours complete fast too and compare it to the past results.

I changed onto Intermittent Fasting mostly for the benefits of its long term IGF-1 reductions.

I had already succeeded pursuing a steady loss of weight through daily walks programs before 5:2. I continued and maintained the increased activity levels of about 2 hours power walks daily, but have now combined it with the 5:2.

Like many here I also spread my calories over two meals of Breakfast and dinner till I read your article here. I'll switch to the 24 hours complete fast from this week.

Thank you for sharing your findings and everyone else for your personal inputs.
Thanks for sharing this, it was very interesting. As Michael said we should be looking out for the Autumn test reports. As I eat "three small meals" a day on "fast" days I will be especially interested, as this certainly works for me.
29 posts Page 2 of 2