The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

23 posts Page 1 of 2
Tonight on ABC 1, 8pm, a Catalyst Special on the Low Carb diet. I'm hoping they discover it's bad! I'm not interested in giving up carbs! So I'm really hoping all you low-carbers are barking up the wrong tree. However I will be gracious in defeat if they say it's me who's barking up the wrong tree. I don't actually know anything about it. I just enjoy spaghetti, bread, rice and potatoes and don't want to restrict them in any way - except on Fast Days, of course. That I am prepared to do.
http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/catalyst
I'm with you, @SallyO. I have lost my weight be cutting down generally not cutting out any particular food group. I would hate to think that I would never be able to eat a crusty loaf or an apple crumble again! :cry:
@StowgateResident, I'm sorry to have to report that this show backed the low carb diet, praised it to the hilt. Especially for people with diabetes or who are obese. Apparently there are people who shouldn't eat carbs. This gives me an out. Maybe I'm not one of those people! I am thinking maybe I could cut down on carbs with out giving them up. The people interviewed were very enthusiastic about it, and were allowed to eat lots of fat. They all said they weren't hungry. But really, I draw the line at making spaghetti out of zucchini.
Sallyo wrote: @StowgateResident, I'm sorry to have to report that this show backed the low carb diet, praised it to the hilt. Especially for people with diabetes or who are obese. Apparently there are people who shouldn't eat carbs. This gives me an out. Maybe I'm not one of those people! I am thinking maybe I could cut down on carbs with out giving them up. The people interviewed were very enthusiastic about it, and were allowed to eat lots of fat. They all said they weren't hungry. But really, I draw the line at making spaghetti out of zucchini.

@Sallyo
Yes. agreed there is spaghetti and there is zucchini.. and im afraid there is rice and there is cauliflower (sorry Jamie Oliver)

https://www.facebook.com/abc/photos/a.1 ... =1&theater has some interesting chatter about the catalyst program today

i will reduce carb intake but not eliminate it. Bread and carbs is the "stuff of life" someone said that once. or something like it.
Me too. I wonder about my breakfast muesli. I love it. May be I should have eggs and bacon more often. but I can't do that without the bread. Some people on the forum do low carb days. Maybe I could manage that. I already do two with fast days. Maybe I could do a third day which is a low carb day, and eat a lot of cheese and ice-cream on those days.
I thought the Catalyst program was reasonable and I understand the points being made about carbs BUT we have to find a way of eating that is sustainable for us. And that may mean that we do eat foods that IDEALLY we "shouldn't" eat.

I like the fact that the basic 5:2 plan is that you don't have to give up anything, and I do get a little concerned that pushing the low carb approach may be alienating people who could benefit from the basic 5:2, or setting them up to fail if they can't stick to giving up lots of foods.
Tho if you are comfortable with reducing certain carbs, then do - even if it is just on another day or two a week. For example, I actually had no problem giving up spaghetti and replacing it with veg, and stopped having rice with stir fries and curries (but I still have rice pudding from time to time). But I am not giving up milk chocolate or the occasional cake, bread, puddings etc. :D
And I think muesli is relatively ok as carbs go!! :) I love Bircher muesli.
Hi,
I haven't seen the [programme so obviously can't comment on that but I am one of the people who since starting 5 2 has also cut down on some carbs (bread, rice, pasta mostly). That's not to say I think EVERYONE should do that. I do it because my brother has type 2 diabetes and is on insulin and very obese and I obviously have a similar tendency as before I began 5 2 my sugars were in the pre diabetic range. I just don't want to go there (and I do realise that despite my best efforts I may well still do). But that's just me - there are plenty of people out there who are overweight or obese but who can tolerate carbs really well and good on 'em. I can't. I don't however think 'one size fits all' - and that's the beauty of this way of eating; it is flexible and you can find something that suits you that you can sustain. I think for those of us with a tendency towards diabetes then lower carb is the way to go - we're not all the same.
I'm sure that none of us who have posted our desire to carry on eating (some) carbs are not implying that this is the only way. As others have said, everyone finds their own way through this WOL and I strongly believe that there is no 'one size fits all' approach. It is interesting to discover new information regarding diet and weight loss and we each take on board what seems relevant to us. Good health, including weight loss, is the goal for us all and this forum is invaluable in the support it offers. Long may it continue! :smile:
I worry more about the quality of carbs instead of the actual number. Other than having a sweet tooth, though, I'm not that bothered by carbs.
Sallyo wrote: Me too. I wonder about my breakfast muesli. I love it. May be I should have eggs and bacon more often. but I can't do that without the bread. Some people on the forum do low carb days. Maybe I could manage that. I already do two with fast days. Maybe I could do a third day which is a low carb day, and eat a lot of cheese and ice-cream on those days.

I don't think you can eat ice-cream on a low carb day! Sugar being a big component of ice cream. But cream, yes indeed!

IMHO, once you know that carbs are behind a lot of our problems with gaining weight, then you can take steps to be more mindful about them at the very least. If you are losing weight fine as you are then you are probably not one of those who is very sensitive to carbs. I find that my appetite is so reduced now, it is easy to cut down on the starchy foods like potatoes, rice and pasta in order to leave a little room for a small dessert. I am still eating everything but less of the carbs!
@sallyo,

Carbs are only a problem for people who have a genetic tendency to develop abnormally high blood sugars. For those who don't they are fine.

However, there are a lot of us who have blood sugar problems in the world, and where the problem arises is that the people who don't have these problems can't understand just how damaging what they consider "normal" carb intakes can be. The other problem is that the standard doctors use to diagnose blood sugars is too high. It doesn't flag you as having a problem until you already have had years of exposure to levels that can cause major problems, including early heart disease.

The simple test for anyone who wonders is simply to get a hold of a cheap drug store blood sugar meter and to test blood sugar 1 or 2 hours after eating. If it is OVER 7.7 mmol/L (140 mg/dl in the U.S.) you have a problem and would do well to cut back on your carbs until you aren't going over that level after eating. If not, enjoy your carbs!
Oh,@carorees, bad luck about the ice-cream. It's an interesting program however, and worth watching and pretty much makes the points that have been made here.
Not seen the programme but reading this thread with interest.............

I know that I definitely lose more weight when I cut carbs and have to honestly say that they have lost their attraction for me. I quite happily eat my bolognese on a bed of cabbage or courgette now - I actually enjoy it more because I know that it is helping my weightloss rather than hindering it. I find pasta quite hard to digest now. Sorry if this makes me sound like a complete sad case but my tastes do seem to have adjusted. However - chocolate - that's never going to change! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
This program was interesting and I felt that I got something out of it. I never thought I could cut carbs, but since I have drastically cut down on them I have felt better and lost a bit more weight. I am now a lot more mindful about the ones I do eat and rarely have pasta or potatoes and only really have really good quality bread.
I suspect that I am ones of those who struggles with carbs whereas my OH eats them til the cows come home! But at least the science is providing me with support in my quest. Cutting down sugar has been my biggest win, but like MCL, chocolate? Neve!!!
23 posts Page 1 of 2