The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

34 posts Page 1 of 3
website now has the video and transcript

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3876219.htm

love to know what you all think

original post

Anyone in Oz. dont forget to watch or record this coming Thursday's program on ABC called Catalyst about Cholesterol. I saw the promo this afternoon. My ears are so tune to anything about diet, health, weight etc.. i suppose thats a good thing.

Australian Catalyst documentaries are always good.

This is the promo words in their Facebook post. its not on their website yet i dont think

Cholesterol has been pinned as the bad guy in our health. But what if we go it all wrong? That's on Catalyst 8pm next Thursday

But found the promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0k5Nnr4dE

main program is ..

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/
Thank you Juliana, I saw this advertised last night, and as someone who recently stopped taking her statins, I shall be watching with interest!
Thanks, I'll be waiting for it. The trick is now to not forget when that day rolls around.
My gp wants me on lipitor if I have the same result next year as this year.
I have other ideas of course :smile:
zamale wrote: Thanks, I'll be waiting for it. The trick is now to not forget when that day rolls around.
My gp wants me on lipitor if I have the same result next year as this year.
I have other ideas of course :smile:

Just say "No". That's what I did and my GP didn't turn a hair. I felt she thought she ought to offer lest I drop dead and my family sued her! Little did she know that the rest of my family said "No" as well.
Looking forward to watching Catalyst. The ads look interesting.
From the manufactures website itself.. the side effects

http://www.lipitor.com/aboutlipitor/sideeffects.aspx
Hi Julianna,
Thanks I did see this advertised and I have now set the recorder as I am known to be a tad 'forgetful'

I am on medication for the Cholesterol so this show will be interesting.

Many thanks,
Cheers
Maggie.
Maggiee wrote: Hi Julianna,
Thanks I did see this advertised and I have now set the recorder as I am known to be a tad 'forgetful'

I am on medication for the Cholesterol so this show will be interesting.

Many thanks,
Cheers
Maggie.

Women have just too much to do to remember everything. I love the "record" button. I guess too you can play it again particularly if it has scientific matter
Thanks Juliana.I'm very interested in this as well and will try and remember to watch it. :smile:
Thanks Julianna, all set to record.
dont forget its tonight, 8pm
ABOUT TO AIR .. DONT FORGET. Channel 2
I think it will show here in Jan/Feb. I'm sure I'll forget! :D
Food for thought!!
Just watched it
as they said
its a BIG WHOOPS on all their medical advise
ill watch it again but.. the important points i quickly gleened
- Dont substitute butter for margarine
- Eat fish or a diet closer to meditarranean style diets
- cholesterol is not the culprit of heart disease
- reaseach in the 50s and 60s flawed and they changed the stats to suit the arguments
- sugar is the foe
- trans fats and polyunsaturarted fats are not good. (e.g. junk food)
- need to balance anti inflammatory and pro inflammatory factors
- the food pyramid is plain wrong
- substituting fats for carbs in the pyramid has been a big cause of obesity issues. its not the fats.
- people why died of cardiac disease often showed low cholesterol
- the people that lived longer in a big long term community study of longevity often showed the highest cholesterol
- after about 45 the amount of cholesterol you have is irrelevant to heart disease
- the whole bad LDL cholesterol and good HDL cholesterol is crap
- it will take decades to change peoples thinking

money is behind why the fallacies of cholesterol being the villain is not exposed as a big myth.. and within 20 minutes of hearing the program. there was a woolworths ad about milk with 40% less saturated fat on my TV!

that was my quick summary. anybody else to provide more analysis of what they said

(next week is about anti cholesterol drugs)
I love catalyst. Thanks for the reminder. Qld is one hour behind EST so will watch it soon. Where I work statins have been considered good with docs taking it at very low thresholds. Will be interesting to see if that changes soon.
34 posts Page 1 of 3