The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

34 posts Page 2 of 3
Worth a read too!
This article below is also interesting. Be interested in @Carorees opinion.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/12/22/the-tr ... -it-wrong/
Phew...that was quite some reading! Probably the most important take home message is that correlation is not causation!

I think rehashing this old data does not help us understand what is going on...we need to seek out intrinsically better designed studies.

For me, the complexity that is never addressed in these discussions/studies is that you can't look at fat intake in isolation...I would imagine that it is the balance of fats, carbs and proteins AND total calories that affects mortality (oh and probably micronutrients too).
Specifically because of this program ive decided on tonight's meal on a fast day.

Chicken thigh fillets sauteed in butter yes butter

Endive salad (i grow endive in my garden and its at full bloom) recipe here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giad ... index.html

and boiled quail eggs (from my backyard quails)

followed by small fruit salad mainly strawberries

well nothing wrong with a bit of butter according to the program. previously would have grilled the chicken but sauteed in butter is nicer

as long as total calories in terms of quantity of food including butter does not exceed 500 calories tonight should be no problem

comments?
I slapped the butter on my toast this morning. So, cholesterol is found on the scene of the crime, but is not the perpetrator. Loved it.
Sallyo wrote: I slapped the butter on my toast this morning. So, cholesterol is found on the scene of the crime, but is not the perpetrator. Loved it.

yes when he said that it was music to my ears. i particularly love those great butters you can get. or Danish butter. not all butters are the same thats for sure.
Thank you so much for the link, it was very interesting and I look forward to the following episodes, I hope you can post the link then. :heart:
And for everyone in Oz who missed it, remember it is available on ABC Iview for a fortnight :)
There is Part 2 next week, as well.
:D
Sassy1 wrote: And for everyone in Oz who missed it, remember it is available on ABC Iview for a fortnight :)
There is Part 2 next week, as well.
:D

part 2 will be interesting - the war against the drug companies making a fortune based on the fallacies of Cholesterol being a killer.

Anyone here taking anti-cholesterol medication.

(btw dont stop medication without medical advice, if you are)
Part 1 was very interesting. Please post Part 2 if you can. Thank you!
I saw it last night and it reinforces a lot of what I've been researching on the internet. Gary Taubes is everywhere you look these days and if anyone hasn't seen him there are quite a few good utube videos if you search. Sugar is the big baddie, and next are the transfats. I think, but I'm not sure, most margarine has transfats and we've recently changed back to butter, which tastes so much better anyway. We don't have a lot of spreads anyway and prefer to use avocado or hummus but a little butter is just delicious. I prefer using coconut oil for most of my fried food especially chicken.
Lol Sallyo, yes I'm going to cook everything in butter (they said veg oil goes rancid ), i'm going to slap butter all over myself :-) however I don't think they want us to eat the toast. Talking of slapping butter on yourself, my father use to use butter and sugar to clean his hands..the skin was like a baby's bum! Exfoliating and fat. Perfect combo.
Hope we get to see this. I have long said statins are wrong. The only bit I disagree with there is butter. I never touch the plastic stuff and only eat a small amount of Normandy butter. I use butter for cakes and cooking too, so guess I get a bit more there. My cholesterol levels are low.
Bobshouse wrote: Hope we get to see this. I have long said statins are wrong. The only bit I disagree with there is butter. I never touch the plastic stuff and only eat a small amount of Normandy butter. I use butter for cakes and cooking too, so guess I get a bit more there. My cholesterol levels are low.

did you say you think butter is ok?

please say its ok to eat

i did my sauteeing of chicken in butter and olive oil. is that a bad thing. it was yummy and i was on my fast. i kept portions down and drained the chicken. i also added paprika and cayenne pepper for taste.

the best part are the burnt bits you scrape after. but i refrained. well almost.
Totally agree sallyo. Thank goodness I have never taken to margarine, always have had a picture in my minds eye of the healthy dairy farmers of my childhood very old and making their own butter, so always have thought can't be bad as they lived to a ripe old age. So now I make my own and it is easy and worth a try and so yummy. Happy also that my coffee has been laced with coconut oil each fast day.

I have a sweet tooth though and am working on reduction towards elimination of the dreaded white poison. It is interesting information though and fit with lots we have read here

Will be interesting next week
Ive always thought margarine tastes artificial. Once i accidentally ate it and nearly threw up.

Whats your favourite butter anyone?

If in Australia, where do you get it?

I like Lurpak which you can get easily at the supermarkets. I find the cheap brands wrapped in light paper are awful.
34 posts Page 2 of 3