The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

25 posts Page 1 of 2
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fhb90

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/c2dzj9/horizon--episode-1-horizon-should-i-eat-meat---the-big-health-dilemma

Not really about 5:2 in particular, but potentially of interest as MM is the presenter. There's an interview with him in the print edition of the Radio Times which gives a bit more information.

I don't think it will change either of us (I'm veggie, my wife isn't) but worth a look.
Thanks for the links, I had not been aware of the program. I've been veggie for 20 odd years and people still say I should eat meat every time I get a cold or feel under the weather! My family are not veggie but are good veg eaters -,they gave no choice or some days they would go hungry!! I will watch the prog with interest.
Went back to meat in the last year after 26 years of being fish-eating veggie. Have been limiting myself to bacon, liver, pate and a small amount of beef, mainly at weekends when eating-out to avoid riling the still-veggie MrsPete by cooking the stuff in her kitchen...

This has been an experiment and the benefits are hard to quantify.

I shall watch the programmes with interest but I suspect Zoe Harcombe will have some quibbles, she has already torn the most recent processed meat research to shreds in her blog!
Thanks for the links.I'll be watching with curiousity.
I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian for 44 years by now, and unable even to imagine myself eating anything that has face and eyes....
Thanks for posting this. I do prefer meat over cheese any day, and don't eat that much. Shall certainly be watching the programme.
Ive set it to record. I think its going to be a case of MM "overdoing" it again....eating loads of meat instead of in moderation. All this science and what it really comes down to is:

"A little of what you fancy does you good"

Think I'll live by that motto

:geek:
Prunus avium wrote: Thanks for the links.I'll be watching with curiousity.
I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian for 44 years by now, and unable even to imagine myself eating anything that has face and eyes....

No more potatoes, nor coconuts for you!
Gah!!
Just realised this is on NOW and ive missed tons of it..will watch on catch up x
Interesting programme, more on Wednesday apparently. No more bacon for creaky Pete!
It was an interesting programme. I was glad he was able to debunk the saturated fat as being the baddy but interested that the nitrates and smoking in processed meat might be significant in adversely impacting our health. Of course when these ways of preserving foods were invented, they improved health (because the alternative was starvation or malnutrition over the winter months) but nowadays we don't have to eat them.

Whether the changes in health markers MM experienced after his high meat diet were due to the meat or the excess calories (since he gained weight) was not clear. He suggested it was the meat but it seems that an increase in blood pressure, LDL and abdominal fat could plausibly stem from simply overeating rather than being due the high meat content.

I will be watching tonight's programme with interest.
I haven't seen the programme and don't want to, I know the health issues are of interest to the general public but I would rather not see M M stuffing meat into his mouth.
I will never eat meat (or fish) again as I'm a vegetarian and have been since 1979.
Good for you Coffeetime @Coffeetime. By the way, I LOVE your name. It always makes me want to reach for...well, a coffee. Mmmmm

:shock:
I agree @nursebean..@coffeetimes name always makes me think,mmm time for a break,including biscuits! :razz:
@coffeetime I get where you are coming from, I have not eaten meat for 40 years, but I do eat fish. However, I have developed a fascination for watching Adam Richman consuming vast quantities of meat in his challenges and features on American eateries. I doubt MM is in the same league, so I won't be watching the programme.
25 posts Page 1 of 2