The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Not sure if this has ever been posted before but what the heck. many new people here since it went online in Feb and a great summary

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-b ... z2VjwgBoJQ

Interesting site, generally. Anyone here follow it. ?
Yes, since starting 5:2 and being exposed to all sorts of dietary information on this site. Peter Attia's Eating Academy is also well worth a look, along with his new project Nutrition Science Institute. Dr John Briffa from the UK has written a good summary of all the primal/fasting/low-carb diet info in a book called 'Escape the Diet Trap', available on Kindle, and he credits Mark Sisson among many other movers and shakers in the primal field. I think Dr Mosley himself is a Daily Apple fan...
thanks CreakyPete

http://eatingacademy.com/dr-peter-attia ... sounds like a good journey to follow.

wow. .. these stats are revolting

34% of Americans are obese and two thirds are overweight. This represents more than a 200% increase from 1970.
    Over 8% of Americans are diabetic, and if you include those undiagnosed, an additional 26% of Americans are pre-diabetic. This represents more than a 400% increase from 1970.
    Every 7 seconds someone in the world dies from a diabetic complication (this is not a typo).

crikies!

not sure what it is for Australia but probably nearly as bad.
as for the UK no idea.
I've been following Mark's Daily Apple for a few years. His site was the first time I was exposed to the idea of IF.

I don't eat "paleo" or "primal" (for lots of reasons, the idealisation of human diet/lifestyle of a prehistoric or preagricultural era being one of them) but I do love experimenting with food, and so many of the recipes are great. I also separate the "humans used to eat and act like X so it's the ideal" from the pretty good nutritional info on the site. So I've found that if you love food, want to eat good, nutritious food and eat well, it's a fabulous site.
That's a nice summary of IF benefits. Thanks for posting.

I personally like the Michael Pollan approach: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
Thanks for the link Juliana to The Myriad Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting...
I particularly enjoyed reading this bit...

Autophagy:-

"Fasting turns on autophagy (most studies nowadays treat this as common knowledge), which is the process by which cells recycle waste material, eliminate or downregulate wasteful processes, and repair themselves. Why is autophagy so important? Its required to maintain
muscle mass, and inhibiting it induces atrophy of adult skeletal muscle. It reduces the negative effects of aging and reduces the incidence and progression of aging-related diseases. In fact, researchers have determined that autophagy is the essential aspect of the anti-aging mechanism of fasting. Without the autophagy that fasting provides, you would get very few of the benefits. Fasting even increases neuronal autophagy, which aids in maintaining mental health and function. Short term fasting, too. No marathon thirty-six hour fast required."

And this..

"Overall, fasting just seems right. It’s like a reset button for your entire body, presumably across a large spectrum of maladies and dysfunctions. It puts your body into repair mode – at the cellular level – and it can restore normal hormonal function in the obese or overweight. Now, you don’t have to fast, but it’s definitely something to consider"

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-b ... z2gnYMy6ke
Ive never heard of that word but yeah till recently. it is definitely why people that have reached to their goal weight should not stop fasting.

Autophagy actually translates to self eating.

a really in depth article here

http://www.anti-agingfirewalls.com/2013 ... s-aging-2/
excellent article Juliana.Rivers, thanks for posting!
Always worth a re-visit - thanks, Juliana!
bumping link to this great article for the newbies

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-b ... z2gnYMy6ke

written a few years back but so many good points made.
Thanks Julianna,well worth a reread xxx
11 posts Page 1 of 1