The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

19 posts Page 2 of 2
Well, I was impressed by her, bearing in mind it was a book advertising slot not an in-depth interview. Despite Susannah Read’s repeated attempt to start an argument over 5:2, she didn’t take the bait.

She didn’t criticizse anyone, answered all the questions gently and focussed on her research which I assume has been peer reviewed.

“Something troubles me, why, if she doesn't really want to be associated to 5:2 did she accept to be in the Horizon program in the first place ?”

She was interviewed by Michael Mosley as a researcher in the field of fasting/health, 5:2 hadn’t been ‘invented’ then. If Michael Mosley’s team were doing their job properly, they were collecting evidence from a number of sources and would reach a conclusion as a result.

MM made clear in the Horizon programme that after looking at a number of studies, he decided to try 5:2 as it suited his life style - as I understand it he found alternate day fasting too rigid.

From other pieces I’ve come across I gather she objected to her research being used to support 5:2, when in fact it didn’t. What it did was to show there could be some health benefits and weight loss as a result of fasting.

Also, I liked the way the programme tackled the issue - Bill Turnbill’s introduction didn’t mention fasting, just ‘eating a little on two days’ and the GP stating if you stuff yourself with doughnuts on the five days that won’t do any good. No mention of fasting and feasting, which I think has bedevilled sensible debate since the start.
Thanks everyone for all your comments and opinions - most interesting.

Hope I get to see the interview one of these days.
lovemyparrot wrote: Thanks everyone for all your comments and opinions - most interesting.

Hope I get to see the interview one of these days.

I can't get it on iPlayer, so let's hope someone posts it on YouTube - they hadn't yesterday.
The impression I got from the interview was that she's concerned primarily with weightloss and not health benefits and this was confirmed by the fact that she rarely fasts these days (only to lose a few pounds here and there). Whereas Mosley's 5:2 gives emphasis to health benefits as well as weightloss and Mosley himself continues to fast weekly (for health, I've heard him say). This despite the fact that all the health research has been based on ADF or longer periods of fasting. The jury's still out on the health benefits for me but the fact that Dr M still fasts for health makes me more inclined to continue on with 5:2 during maintenance.
19 posts Page 2 of 2