The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Just saw this post on Dr. V's "Every Other Day Diet" Facebook site:

Just arrived in the UK and I'm super excited to be on "BBC Breakfast" on Tuesday morning. Tune in if you can! I'll post the link here after the show :smile:

So, if you can watch in the UK - please let us know what you think!!!!!!!
Yes - they've just trailed this she's on around 8.30am
Oh, is that BBC radio 1? I can listen on my tune-in radio app!
Fraid not @jools7 - it's Breakfast TV in the UK - it might be available on the net afterwards tho, so worth checking.
They had a short item on earlier this morning - one of the presenters (Bill Turnbull) said that he couldn't do 5:2 as it made him too grumpy!
Just watched it and found it interesting as I haven't heard of ADF as much. As someone who only started yesterday ( but have been researching since December), I think ADF for me would be too much and I wouldn't stick to it whereas I think I can manage 5:2 and if it is a bit slower it's not a problem for me.
She did not give too much away, I suppose we need to buy the book for details, and she distanced herself from 5:2 quite acceptably other than suggesting there was no research specific to it which is probably true but does not credit the number of self-researchers on this and the other forum. Nice girl, looked a bit chunky though...
I remember seeing her on the Michael Moseley Horizon programme. She is more interested in long term weight loss isn't she? Rather than the "repair" benefits that Dr Moseley was into.
Has there been any definitive evidence yet that fasting does do more than just help you to lose weight? I guess it's very difficult to prove that fasting lowers BP and helps with insulin balance etc because simply losing weight will do both those things.
I love this as a diet as it's doable and I stopped it for 3 months without gaining any but I am still waiting to be convinced that it has the "repair" qualities.....
I guess you'd have to do some really long term studies in humans to know that for sure. Her work so far has been about weight loss and maintenance (and certain blood indicators, as you mentioned).
I just watched this and to be honest I didn't warm to her. If I was thinking about starting ADF I wouldn't have been convinced by her.
So I went away to think about why I wouldnt have been convinced. And I think I've deceived why.
When I see people, health professional or not I like to hear about their experiences, eg Natalie Cassidy, Michael Mosely. Krista wasn't sharing her own experience with us. If we'd seen a before pic of her a stone heavier and chatting about finding the best way for her lose her baby weight I'd have been impressed enough to try.
Luckily I wasn't looking to her for inspiration, when asked of her own experiences of ADF she said she had the baby weight to lose. Then once a year she does it for about a month to shift 5lb.
Yes she did distance herself from 5.2 but the presenters seemed to be more interested in 5.2 than her book plug.
Can I say that I don't feel her ? Well, I don't know if it's the right translation, in French we say "Je ne la sens pas". I don't like her as she doesn't seems genuine to me if you prefer but to have taken the money train after the success of 5:2. And yes, I know she began her researches before.I am just expressing a feeling I have, nothing more

Something troubles me, why, if she doesn't really want to be associated to 5:2 did she accept to be in the Horizon program in the first place ?
@trayBelin There is some evidence for health benefits of fasting beyond weight loss. There are several studies I've posted about in the 5:2 Lab section that give some support to the notion that fasting itself is beneficial. However, as you say it's hard to divorce the fasting from confounding factors. One interesting study found that people who fast once a month have a lower risk of heart disease and diabetes than those who don't. Fasting once a month is not enough to cause weight loss. Men who fasted every other day 20 hours but ate sufficient on their non fast days to prevent weight loss showed improvements in health markers.

Not definitive but interesting!
I also didn't find her inspiring & her main point seemed to be is that every other day fasting gets our bodies into a better routine. She did say that after a fast day most people on her trial did eat less than normal because of an appetite reduction caused by fasting. I was disappointed that she didn't mention any other benefits & said 5:2ing hadn't been studied because Dr M had made it up as his preferred method of IF. Understandable she wants her book to sell but it does look like she is climbing on the back of the success of The Fast Diet.
I actually did ADF for the first 10 weeks of last year. It was fine but the day changes get a bit wearing, so I went to 4:3. It definitely gets you used to fasting...

Sine then,I have changed to 16:8 as it suits my training better & I wanted a change. I think it's best to listen to what you need, more than assume one way is better than another..
19 posts Page 1 of 2