The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Finally, a supportive article
04 Sep 2013, 03:11
Check out this article about 10 Unbelievable Diet Rules backed by Science. It doesn't mention 5:2 but quite a few of the fad-free truths definitely support many of the variations this group is finding successful to include:

-fasting in general
-skipping breakfast or following a 16:8 eating window
-it talks about carbs and proteins
-when to exercise

All in all, I believe quite supportive for us...finally! :victory:

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/1 ... 00466.html
Just read it GoLinda and was going to post the link but you beat me to it!!!

I particularly like no: 8

"8. Consider fasting for better health.
Any diet that has you not eat at all is not a diet-it's starvation. But there's a difference between withholding what your body needs and reprogramming your body so that you can control your hunger and let your body recharge. The idea of fasting is nothing crazy. You do it every night when you sleep, which is a time that that is essential for optimal health. Yet the idea of going several hours without eating during daytime is frowned upon.

When done correctly, fasting can actually help your body burn fat, recharge, and stay healthy. You've probably heard of cleanse diets that supposedly rid your body of toxins, improve the functioning of your internal organs, and help you age better. Most of these don't work as advertised. The only real cleanse occurs at the cellular level. It's called autophagy, and it's your body's ability to regenerate and become better. Autophagy makes your brain function a little better, helps with fat loss, and even assists in your ability to walk and breathe. But the more time you spend eating-as in actual hours during the day eating-the less time you spend in the autophagic process, which is why fasting isn't a bad thing.

The fad-free truth: Researchers at the University of Utah found that people who fasted just one day per month were 40 percent less likely to suffer from clogged arteries. While there are many ways to fast, the important point is that you shouldn't feel forced to eat if you're not hungry. Short daily fasts (for 12 to 16 hours) or a once-per-week daily fast can have health benefits, and it will teach you to separate boredom or thirst from genuine hunger.
"

A very good article IMO :like: :smile:
Yep, a good article and as an avid 16/8 person ( I did lose my weight on 5:2 and use 16/8 for maintenance ) I am delighted to see articles like these appear more and more. :like:

Ballerina x :heart:
How refreshing, thanks for sharing GoLinda :like:
Thanks very much golinda :) Moogie posted a link to it on the Facebook page and I read it from there. Very interesting. I shall be forwarding it on to a few people too.
Thanks Linda Wow that's certainly a step in the right direction, more supportive than anything I've read before :heart: :heart: Sue
Love the comments section after the article and how ignorant some of the people are in still believing all the myths. :grin: Thanks GoLinda for the sharing the link. :)
I have two minor quibbles: that it's OK to eat lots of protein and that only refined carbs should be cut.

The protein argument put forward in the article focusses on high protein and risk of kidney disease (they say there is no link) but fails to consider the link between high protein intake and cancer through the promotion of growth factors, specifically IGF1. Further, high protein intake beyond what is needed by the body results in the protein being converted to glucose which may slow fat burning.

Secondly, some people are very sensitive to carbs and so cutting down on all carbs as well as refined carbs may improve weightloss for these individuals.

Otherwise, a great article. Thanks for sharing!
9 posts Page 1 of 1