The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

43 posts Page 3 of 3
we are a bit slow to get the BBC shows. ... the August 2012 5:2 episode took till April 2013 to air!!!! and that cost me 7 months of weight gain.. lol.

anyhow the program was interesting I thought.. amazing how much money the man that invented Slim Right ? made. and the history of WW. i never knew that it was a housewife that started it all.

And it kept saying diets dont work.. but hang on .. i know one that does work!!! and im living proof as are hundreds of others here. and yes are are on a diet, for those that dont believe this is a diet. lol

anyone who has seen the whole series.. did it touch on 5:2 or IF
Yes, I thought the history of WW very interesting too. And I guess it would work if you kept on going along, but I don't know anyone who has been able to stick it. Did any other Aussies see it last night? I don't imagine he will look at IF diets. Is it a business? I suppose so. MM must make money from his books. And now there are lots of spin offs.
Darn I missed it. Was it on ABC, maybe watch it on iview?
If you're interested in the "diets don't work" debate, you might be interested in this: http://www.weightymatters.ca/2014/06/mo ... at-of.html
and this: http://www.weightymatters.ca/2014/06/is ... sible.html

I'm honestly not sure what to believe. It's too early to tell whether 5:2 (etc.) will work in the long-term, but at least a lot of us find it more sustainable than other diets we have tried.
I had seen all the programs some time ago. It made me cross too having spent a large part of my life and money with weight watchers. I was a permanent on line member paying my subs but we ran the forum our selves with little or no input from the company. I never learned how to control what I eat. I cut it out for a while or replaced it with a weight watchers product. When the company revamped the plan meaning all my cookery books, trackers, pedometer etc etc were no longer compatible with the plan I saw the light. This coincided with seeing the original 5:2 programme. OK I did not stay with 5:2 and put weight back on but now I know what to do. 4:3 suits me, I fast three set days and eat what I want the other four. I am slowly losing weight. I view this as a life change which is why I fast the same days, I will not change them. Basically what I have learned about all this is if money is involved you cannot trust it. I also feel people are being manipulated, yes we put the food in our mouths, but we are taught how to control this in a way that keeps us giving money to big corporations. I recently binned all my diet books. I will never buy another or count anything again. This is my regime for life in one form or other.
Wineoclock wrote: Darn I missed it. Was it on ABC, maybe watch it on iview?

@wineoclock

of course where all the GOOD programs are (or SBS)...

here you go. http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/men-wh ... 891A001S00
@bobshouse, I love your clarity. You speak from deep knowledge. I have not done a lot of diets, only the CSIRO diet, really, which was a high protein, low fat, low carbs type of diet. It involved eating a lot of meat and was criticised because it had been sponsored by the meat industry. However, it was science based. I did lose weight but I got bored with the recipes and missed cheese and cake for example. I couldn't stick it after 3 or 4 months and put the weight back on when I stopped doing it . I wanted to eat normal food and that's what I love about 5:2. 5 days a week I eat 'normal' food.

@wineoclock, it's a 4 part series, so look out for it next week. I did watch it on i-view.
Wineoclock wrote: Darn I missed it. Was it on ABC, maybe watch it on iview?

@Wineoclock They are all available here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... de+us+thin
[quote="Sallyo"]@bobshouse, I have not done a lot of diets, only the CSIRO diet, really, which was a high protein, low fat, low carbs type of diet. It involved eating a lot of meat and was criticised because it had been sponsored by the meat industry. However, it was science based. I did lose weight but I got bored with the recipes and missed cheese and cake for example. I couldn't stick it after 3 or 4 months and put the weight back on when I stopped doing it . I wanted to eat normal food and that's what I love about 5:2. 5 days a week I eat 'normal' food.

@Sallyo yep you hit the nail on the head with that one.
it's what separates 5:2 and 4:3 from the rest. That 4 or 5 days a week you can pretty much consume "whatever you want whenever you want" (within TDEE's). For example, this last weekend i was able to make a fantastic meal of Jamie Oliver's epic pork loan roast (from this Great Britain Food book), roast veg and baked quince and I topped it off with a Cacao powder and nuts "power bar".. pictures below. now.. no diet but 5:2 would let you do that And for mine, i only have to look at the calendar not the clock which is why i find it (for me) just a tad easier than the windows approach except for when ive been naughty and need to step it up a bit and throw in an "eating window" on a non fasting day
2014-06-14 21.57.37.jpg
2014-06-14 21.57.37.jpg (128.31 KiB) Viewed 518 times

2014-06-14 18.41.41.jpg
2014-06-14 18.41.41.jpg (126.23 KiB) Viewed 518 times

2014-06-14 21.57.37.jpg
2014-06-14 21.57.37.jpg (128.31 KiB) Viewed 518 times
@Juliana.Rivers Yummo.
Ive done lots, CSIRO, Jenny Craig (lost lots but weight piled back on straight away), Atkins, WW, just counting calories myself etc etc etc. 5:2 is the only one that lets you be normal most of the time. I have a good friend who is still sort of doing WW and its a constant stream of "I cant eat that". Not fun at all.
Oh Juliana, that's just mean. I'm fasting today.

;-)
Thanks everyone, I have found the programme on abc iview on my tv. I'll watch it tonight while eating my fast day dinner. I've also put the others on to record.
43 posts Page 3 of 3