The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

43 posts Page 1 of 3
On last night, one of the interviewed professors stated that beyond 26 weeks the body will stop responding to any diet plan and adjust and begin to gain weight up to and beyond the original weight.
Discuss.
:geek:
Lucky this is a way of life rather than a diet HAHAHA
What I found more interesting about that programme, was that the ideal weight chart that we all know, was drawn up by an insurance man and the numbers had no basis in science
Im about 2 weeks off six months since starting IF, but have to point out Ive never stayed on a diet this long before, most Ive managed before is about 2 1/2 months. I wonder if this six month idea is to do with people not being able to stick to a diet that long rather than the body playing tricks on us. I am quite sure that the body would prefer to function as healthily as possible, which it cannot do if you are overweight.

I missed most of the show, wish I had seen the part about ideal weight! :doh:
I found this programme pretty poor to be honest, and clearly designed to launch the presenter's career by being edgy. It's not the fact I disagree with what he was saying for the most part, it's just there was nothing positive to draw from the program at all. He didn't address the fact that there are lots of obese people who do need to lose weight, and it's better to try something than nothing!

What would have been interesting is if he looked at the (admittidley small) amount of people who did keep the weight off, and ask, WHY? I think in the vast majority of cases it would have been because they changed their mental attitude to food.

And, he seemed to be really angry at the fact that the diet companies said it is the customer's fault that it didnt work long term. Do you know what, I agree it is! We have final control as to what we put in our mouths, and the minute people start taking on the responsibility of that and stop trying to blame external sources the better.

I am overweight, and it's my own fault. Hence why I'm trying to change my WOL so I'm not. It is hard, but then it's hard because of us fighting our own minds. Diets themselves aren't the reason we have obese people, it's the mental atiitude of those undertaking them that are expecting a temporary miracle fix rather than adopting a new way of life.
I suppose it depends on what you were looking for in the program. I don't think he really intended to go into the science of weight loss. It was more about companies seeing an opportunity to make money out of people who need to lose weight and are looking for a quick fix.

Having seen the first program he made and read some of the articles that were posted yesterday I felt it was more a follow on about the companies who caused the weight issues in the first place now jumping on the band wagon to cash in on our need to shift it.

I don't think it was actually intended to do more than skim the surface of the actual mechanics of weight loss except in pointing out that many people see any plan as short term. Someting that you do for awhile and the weight will go. They think that in the end they can go back to old habits and then its shock and horror when the weight piles back with a bit more on top. Its this attitude that fuels the diet industry. The slimming clubs all rely on 'serial rejoiners' for steady income. The 24% of dieters who succeed long term are the ones who make a permanent attitude change.

It will be interesting to see the rest of the series and see how it develops.
I watched the programme last night but felt it was quite superficial. It attacked the companies that have made a lot of money out of diets, but didn't address the real problem.

Diets do work - at least in the short term - but most of these leave the dieter with no tools to maintain the weight loss, so when they go back to normal eating the weight goes back on.

I think 5:2 is different here in that it encourages a change in eating that is sustainable for the long term.

People will inevitably try to make money out of 5:2, but personally it has cost me nothing. I didn't buy the book, just saw theRadio Times pullout and jumped sraight in. This forum has given me all the FREE support I need.

The programme seemed to say 'diets don't work so why bother? ' But this is at a time when obesity is becoming such a big problem. The weight tables may be unscientific and out of date, but you only have to look around to know the truth.

I hope the other programmes will be better.

I've been doing this WOE for just over 6 months and have recently startd maintainence, so I believe it is sustainable. It's our own attitude that is the most important thing.
Ditto Scoobisnacks..Why do I now fancy a bag of cheese & onion crisps..Its...Your name argh!!!! :lol: Lovely Jubley :cool:
I did not notice that were two threads on this topic so apologies to anyone who read this comment on the other thread, here it is again...................

"I also watched it and was not surprised by any of it. Too much money is being made and too many people are being manipulated, myself included, but no more. There are many, many benefits to 5:2 but, apart from it's startling simplicity and success, the fact that it is free is one of it's greatest strengths. I don't say from a position of meanness or parsimony but because it means that I am not being manipulated, or lied to, by someone else's desire to transfer my hard earned money from my bank to theirs!"

Ballerina x :heart:
I saw it and concluded that there diets do work so there not lying but the lifestyle of the diet does not. Who wants to spend there life cutting out this or that or counting points and calories. That will not work and has not. They have helped millions of people to lose weight but if they said just eat 500 cals 2 days a week to maintain they would be out of business, I think we may see that within the next 10 years as this very simple way of eating is proving successful so far for maintenance but we will have to see in 5 years if we are all slim bo jim bo's or back were we started :?:
I saw it. I also saw 'The Men Who Made Us Fat'. Neither surprised me really but they both made me feel very upset that vulnerable people are deliberately manipulated this way for corporate financial gain. I had no idea about the way that ideal weight had been calculated again for corporate gain. And as for the fact that the NHS pay for it astounded me. So happy that ultimately it is me that is funding it.........NOT. I also watched the part concerning the effect that the ideal weight had on 1950's USA with dismay.

Anyway, I settled down to watch it with a banana split made with a banana, (obviously :lol: ) Cornish honeycomb ice cream and chocolate sauce (moderate quantity of course) and it was flipping lovely. Good job I am aware that this is a WOL and not some silly, faddy, fee paying diet.
peplum41 wrote: ... I missed most of the show, wish I had seen the part about ideal weight!

Below are a couple of links that'll likely clarify it for you.

The first is moderately technical. For a shorter read: page down until you see the box labeled "Navigate This Article" on the righthand side. Then click on each of the "Comments" and then the "Summary" link.

http://fampra.oxfordjournals.org/conten ... tent-block

The next link gives you the chance to determine your own ideal weight from a varity of sources including the Metropolitan Life tables:

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

And, as is always the case when chasing "facts", the closer you get to them the more slippery they become.

Enjoy,
I would like to point out that I do blame someone else for my weight problems. The NHS need to shoulder some of the blame, for telling me that fat is bad and that carbs are good.
But I also must say that I am finding I am struggling and I am at week 24. My control has slipped, I am still doing the fast days, but my normal days are getting a bit out of control. There could be some truth in what he says, but I don't think its like an elastic band that springs you back to where you were. I think its it is the body needing to reset and as long as you don't give in, the reset will happen and downward you go again. Its holding on whilst the reset happens, believing that it will work that is the hardest bit.

I do wonder if there is anyway for the stats to be compiled to show everyones plateaus and if they settle into a certain time frame or frames? Maybe a certain percentage of weight, or a set number of pounds or in this case a certain number of weeks on a diet? I think something like that would probably be a PHD for a student with the patience to input all the data.
Those tables are eye opening. For me they go from 114 (I would be a skeleton) to 175lbs, which would be a rather curvy me. I could become neurotic at one extreme and complacent at the other.
43 posts Page 1 of 3