The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

55 posts Page 4 of 4
Ballerina wrote: Why should I trust the word of a doctor who is unable to differentiate between 'loose' and 'lose'?

Interesting criteria - do you apply that to all kinds of professions?
Earlier today I noticed a similar spelling mistake in one of Dr Mosley's posts. I suppose you are now considering not trusting his word anymore?
Actually, I would. If you can't be bothered to learn a very basic spelling in what should be your specialty if you're commenting on it, I would be very unhappy to trust what he said.

Basic attention to detail fail, loose and lose tend to be long-term grammar errors, not typos.
150lbs wrote: I speak from experience.
Atkins WORKED.
Cambridge WORKED.
Weightwatchers WORKED.

5:2 is WORKING for me and all these people who are eating the quite normal, though perhaps not exactly balanced or healthy diet, that we subject ourselves to, because it allows us to have a little failure now and again, but then we just fast the next day instead. EASY, don't you think?

I sincerely hope so, it is certainly easier than most of the other stuff. That being said, knowing more about what you put in your body is not such a bad idea, given that dietary composition has effect on several major diseases.

And I think you illustrate another point - you have been through the whole gamut of diets. You say some worked, but still you are here - doesn't that mean that they are not working in the long run? If yes, you are by no means alone in that. As many studies have shown, long term results are bad for most diets, the vast majority relapses.

So selling or promoting this diet, with no data on long-term sustainability (at least 2 years), and no data at all on what it does to food choices, would be highly unprofessional and unscientific of the scientific community. (What if they had done that with Atkins?)

It is all over the media, so no worries that the public is not aware of this. But the medical and scientific community should not make an exception for this diet based on the data so far.
Coffecat wrote: (What if they had done that with Atkins?)

Ho ho ho! Proper trials on low carb eating were way behind the introduction of the Atkins diet! I'm seeing some being published now in fact!
carorees wrote:
Coffecat wrote: (What if they had done that with Atkins?)

Ho ho ho! Proper trials on low carb eating were way behind the introduction of the Atkins diet! I'm seeing some being published now in fact!

Hence why responsible clinicians are justifiably wary of recommending any new "fad" diet, including 5:2...
Dr. Simpson's latest article - Which diet is best?

http://yourdoctorsorders.com/2013/03/di ... ment-10507

He is going into more detail in this article about what's wrong with the science of diets. Maybe in response to our comments, or could of just been coincidental.

Maybe this should be on a new thread?
Good morning Coffecat, the point I was making was that this was not a simple spelling mistake, it was a woeful lack of understanding of the english language and it's syntactical application by a highly qualified professional. If I felt that Dr Mosley was unable to differentiate between, for instance, heal and heel (or any other phonetically similar yet different words)then I would indeed have good reason to question his abilities just as I would have no faith in a Barrister who wrote, "the thief was caught read-handed" as it makes no sense.
I agree with pretty much a lot of what he says in this latest article.

He complains that people are often looking to a single "superfood" like olive oil for example, to do the job of a medicine when in fact out doesn't work so well and is not regulated. I agree with that.

He says people should learn to cook. I agree with that.

He says if we all cooked our meals from scratch we wouldn't be obese. I don't agree with that...I have always cooked almost all my food from scratch and was obese until 3 months on the fast diet!

He says the Mediterranean diet does not affect cardiovascular disease. I only half agree. It does reduce weight and cardiovascular risk markers and was slightly better in that respect than a high carb/low fat diet in a head to head comparison study.

I don't think this article was prompted by comments on the one about the fast diet.
carorees wrote: He says if we all cooked our meals from scratch we wouldn't be obese. I don't agree with that...I have always cooked almost all my food from scratch and was obese until 3 months on the fast diet!

This is the key issue I have with what he says. He's coming from a place where his patients are morbidly obese folk who are on a constant diet of junk food, and he's obviously found that for such people, teaching them to cook helps them to eat more healthily and consume fewer calories. This is great, but the idea that you can extrapolate this to the whole population is obviously as wrong as the idea that any one diet, even 5:2, is right for everyone.
carorees wrote:
He says the Mediterranean diet does not affect cardiovascular disease. I only half agree. It does reduce weight and cardiovascular risk markers and was slightly better in that respect than a high carb/low fat diet in a head to head comparison study.

I believe he said diet is no where near as effective as the current medication available and although there may be a slight improvement through diet, it's still not measurable enough to make a significant difference.

When/if a specific diet is proven over and over again to be better at treating health problems than the best current medication, that will be a significant discovery. Although, as he has explained, it's very unlikely as medicine is refined to give accurate dosages to the patient at regular intervals to treat the problem. Food is not measured, it's unrefined, and contains varying levels of the beneficial substance meaning the patient is not receiving regular measured optimal dosages to treat the condition and therefor it is less effective.
55 posts Page 4 of 4