The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

20 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi, my husband and I are two weeks into the diet; we fast on Mondays and Thursdays. My husband had his blood pressure taken on the 4th fast day and it was surprisingly high. Normally it is around 125/80, but today it was 137/87. Has anyone noticed an increase like this on fast days?
Hi, my blood pressure is normally around 120/80 or less - so well within a healthy range.
I had it taken yesterday (fast day) as I had felt a little shaky and was going to the chemist anyway, and they took 3 readings. I had been sat down in hairdressers for 3 hours so no reason for it to be raised, but the average was 149/82
I will be going back on Saturday and will have it re-checked on a normal feed day, so will let you know the outcome. I can only assume at present that it is because it was a fast day, if not i will heading to the docs next week for it to be monitored!
Fasting normally lowers blood pressure. I'll see what I can find out.
I know too much talking can put the BP up just a thought
Carol wrote: I know too much talking can put the BP up just a thought

"Careless talk costs lives" Now I understand! From now on my lips are sealed...
ha ha Dominic :) I will explain a long time ago I was in hospital for a major operation ,I had a student that wanted to do a case history on me, so for quite a few hours of talking as you can imagine, when my BP was taken it was sky high and the doctor was sent for and said if it stays this high ,I would not be able to have my op, when he found out I was answering questions with a student for quite a while, he said that explains it ,he said about talking causes the BP to rise, I had to lay quiet for the rest of the day and sure enough BP returned to normal and had my op first thing in the morning
Also you should sit quiet for 15 mins before taking the blood pressure (and no getting up to move chairs), feet flat on the floor (no crossed legs), back straight, cuff at heart level, warm room temperature, no coffee or food for 30 mins beforehand (or exercise obviously). All of the above are necessary to get a correct resting bp.
Mine was also raised the day I went for a well woman check on a day that just happened to fall on a fast day. The lower number is usually 80 but it was 88/87/86 (I asked her to take 3 readings.) I can't really explain this either as previously when I've had it taken the doctor has always remarked how constant my reading is.
Thanks for the replies. I can't seem to find anything specific online - the sources tend to talk only about how fasting lowers BP in general, but very little on how it changes on a fast day. I saw some studies on the effects of fasting on various clinical measures, BP included; and the researches note that BP is high on fasting days, but they can't explain why. One theorized that it was a drop in calcium, another said it was because having a full stomach lowers blood pressure and reasoned that an empty one would have the opposite effect. Yet another said that it was likely arterial plaque being broken down and released into the blood stream, thickening the blood.
My husband had it read three times, and it was high each time. He's going to have it measured on a non-fasting day and go from there, though we are not sure a physician would be able to advise him. Many doctors and healthcare professionals here in the U.S. think we're crazy for fasting, and most of our friends look at us sideways! They think skipping a meal is "bad for you". I guess that's why we lead the world in obesity rates!
Oh no, this is scary. I am hoping this diet will lower my blood pressure. I do hate to give up coffee though since it helps prevent asthma symptoms.
As far as I remember fasting increases stress hormones, I would think that could raise the blood pressure as well. See also the thread on palpitations. Get a new reading on a non-fasting day, chances are good it will be normal again given his earlier measurements.
Hi, I've been curious about giving fasting a go since seeing the BBC doc.
I've got highish cholesterol and high bp, both if which casting is supposed to help.
I've only just started, but I too have seen a pretty big increase in bp while fasting. For example, in morning 120/78 by end if day fasting 152/101 - I think my highest ever home reading.
So perhaps for some people it works differently. Or maybe I just need to give it more time.
Unfortunately I didn't measure my BP before starting 5:2 (nearly 8 months ago) but I have recent readings and readings taken at various moments of enthusiasm over the last 11 years - see graph below. My BP now seems to be a bit lower than it was in the past, and I can't think of any reason for this except 5:2. I read this morning (just after a fast day) and it was 103/69.

I have a friend who was getting high readings on her BP tests because she had coffee beforehand. Do you have alot of caffeine on fast days?
Sometimes I think this place is magic. I started taking BP meds 5 weeks ago and had it measured yesterday (a fast day) and it was in the higher end of the 140's. At home it has ranged consistently from 110 to 140 and I will now make a point of noting if the higher and lower readings are on fast days. One more thing, my diastolic is always low, usually 50 - 80 lower than my systolic and I am concerned that it is isolated hypertension- asked my doc and he said not to be concerned..I am also taking beta-blockers, falling apart really, but feeling great :smile:
20 posts Page 1 of 2