The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

19 posts Page 1 of 2
So is this a warning of possible dangers of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22141372
It's why you shouldn't play squash or take up weightlifting if you've got high blood pressure, apparently, the chance of stroking out. My sister is on at me about this as I'm lifting weights and have higher bp.

There's more to it than just one thing, but it was possibly the straw that broke the camel's back.
I think his two earlier (and undetected) minor strokes may have had a big impact on this.
Hmmm, makes you think...

Tell you what makes me think too. I googled 'dangers of hiit' just now and this topic came 4th on google. And it only started 40 minutes ago... Google really loves this forum!
I have to admit I scuttled off to take my bp and found out to my delight it's 123/82, which is the lowest I've seen in years. Given I started this it was 153/103.

He was pretty fit & light, his idea of HIIT might not be ours! Wee bit faster!!
I think his stroke has more to do with overwork, lack of rest, stress, high blood pressure plus any other factors regarding his health that are not publicised.
I personally don't view this article as reason to avoid HIIT and will carry on with it without giving it any further thought.

I wish Mr Marr well with making a full recovery.
skippyscuffleton wrote: I think his stroke has more to do with overwork, lack of rest, stress, high blood pressure plus any other factors regarding his health that are not publicised.

Perhaps, but he does mention "as advised in the papers" (presumably recent articles on HIIT).

I am concerned that folks are doing this Zone4 HIIT training with inadequate preparation in Zone1 & Zone2. In fact, my wife and I were discussing it on the way back from the Gym this morning, when "stroke or heart attack waiting to happen" was mentioned, the when I got in I saw the article on BBC news.
I agree with your remark on potential inadequate warming up before going flat out. Maybe with Marr the problem came with using a rowing machine when he's more used to running, hence the torn carotid artery??
Incidentally, I would have thought that if you manage to tear your carotid artery you would die pretty soon after?
He doesn't say how long he was maxing on the rowing machine. I'm guessing it was longer than the 20 secs advised by Dr M, but it's certainly worth being cautious if you have high blood pressure.
Good thinking Caroline. It's a long time since I checked my blood pressure, but I do have the gadget. Will give it a go...
Reading the following link on torn carotid arteries it sounds like its a pretty rare occurrence.
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders ... ction.aspx

I would also think that most people do their hiit cycling or running and not on rowing machine where they can potentially strain their neck.

I will be carrying on with my hiit later today in the pool.
I do HIIT on a rowing machine *slightly worried* , it's hard work! Maybe should get my BP checked...
dominic wrote: Good thinking Caroline. It's a long time since I checked my blood pressure, but I do have the gadget. Will give it a go...

Might be worth checking it after your HIIT...but first find out what is normal after exercise as I only know about resting bp!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... alist.html

too much exertion of one kind or another, LOL.

Was there any credible opinion that a stroke can be caused by exercise ?
I don't know about that. You should get a drop in bp after exercise and those who don't are potentially at a higher risk of a cardiovascular event but I can't see anything in the literature about stroke risk during exercise. I imagine that if you have arteriosclerosis then the high blood flow during exercise might make it slightly more likely that a clot would come loose. Or it could just be a coincidence!

HIIT has been looked at in the context of treating heart failure patients (who are at high risk of sudden death) and the HIIT protocol considered a good way of improving outcomes. The overall reduction in risk from exercise is still the thing to focus on here!
19 posts Page 1 of 2