The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

38 posts Page 2 of 3
Gigi, there is some evidence that suggests the source of the calories makes a difference for people who have high insulin levels because they can't burn fat while the insulin levels are high; a diet high in carbs prevents insulin levels from falling. So, on a low carb diet they lose weight more effectively. That's what a couple of studies showed anyway. It's discussed elsewhere in the nerdy section.
itadakimasu wrote: I notice that Sian Porter from the British Dietic Association says "many people are looking for a magic bullet, but there is no one size fits all solution." Surely the British Dietic Association is contradicting that statement when they only ever reccommend a high carb,low fat solution and are highly critical of any other approach.

Good point, no doubt she then went on to say reduce your calorie intake and increase exercise - LOL.
PhilT wrote:
TML13 wrote: Did you know that most of the Americans who are coeliac can actually eat bread and pasta in Greece?

So it's not made from wheat ?

I have a friend who is intolerant of wheat but is ok with gluten in oats or spelt, when they are in Europe it is easier to simply describe yourself as ceoliac and avoid gluten altogether, than risk puffing up like a hamster.
The big thing I took away from Atkins when I tried it years ago was that refined sugar is evil. Stick with that and you're golden.
DashingBob wrote: The big thing I took away from Atkins when I tried it years ago was that refined sugar is evil. Stick with that and you're golden.

That made me giggle Dashing Bob...many many years ago as in errr 40 ish years.... my first easy at university was entitled 'Pure White and Deadly' discuss...
obviously we were supposed to write a paper on refined sugar
errr...lecturer wasnt very happy when I replied with an essay on 'Virgin Polar Bears'!!!! lol...I was such a little smart ass back then!
I'm with you Gigi, you have to create a deficit, use more energy than you put in your mouth! All the diets we have been on over the years are creative ways to fool us. Thats why I like 5:2, no pretense, reduce your calorie intake and lose weight and gain health. No complicated formulas and no tedious counting day in and day out.
Interesting insight behind the scenes of the BBC item at http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/04/19/bbc- ... te-eating/
Originally from the UK I was brought up on a farm where all vegetables and fruits were home grown, the bread came from the village bakery etc. I have lived overseas most of my married life and when we returned to the UK in 1996 I found the additives in food had a huge effect on my health. Wheat products were the greatest offender. I have lived in Cyprus since 2004 and can eat any wheat product produced in Cyprus, but if I eat anything imported from the UK my symptoms return (psoriasis, bloating, breathing problems)
Its the never ending argument as to whether all calories are equal isn't it? You get the low carb purists at one end of the scale who quote people like Gary Taubes, and the calorie fanatics at the other each insisting that there's is the only true way! I suspect the best path for most folk will fall somwhere in between. It tends to centre round accepting that the things we all really like such as desserts and wine and chocolate and cheese cannot be consumed in unlimited quantities whatever plan you follow without your health suffering in some way.
Navwoman wrote: I have lived in Cyprus since 2004 and can eat any wheat product produced in Cyprus, but if I eat anything imported from the UK my symptoms return (psoriasis, bloating, breathing problems)

Genetic differences in wheat perhaps, as well as baking methods and climatic conditions for growing cereals. I know we import "hard" wheat into the UK to increase gluten in some applications.
http://www.westonaprice.org/digestive-d ... -the-grain
Thanks for the report PhilT - not only does it explain geographical differences but also the individual characteristics of the different types of grain. I do not eat processed or fast food as I have to know exactly what is in each food item in case I have an allergic reaction to it. Quite a challenge when eating out sometimes depending on the attitude of my fellow diners!
juliewil10 wrote: I'm with you Gigi, you have to create a deficit, use more energy than you put in your mouth! All the diets we have been on over the years are creative ways to fool us. Thats why I like 5:2, no pretense, reduce your calorie intake and lose weight and gain health. No complicated formulas and no tedious counting day in and day out.

I think this approach works for many people. The point is that if it doesn't work for some individuals then organisations like the British Dietic Association are no help because they activly campaign against any other approach. It isn't simply an arguement about which diet is best. Public health policy is activly hostile to any dietry approach that differs from the low fat, high carb diet as depicted by the 'Eatwell Plate' and food pyramid.

I do the 5:2 WoE and like many on this forum when I do a fast day and only have 600 calories, I want to 'spend' them on food that is highly nutitious rather than high in starch and empty calories.
D_C wrote:
PhilT wrote:
TML13 wrote: Did you know that most of the Americans who are coeliac can actually eat bread and pasta in Greece?

So it's not made from wheat ?

I have a friend who is intolerant of wheat but is ok with gluten in oats or spelt, when they are in Europe it is easier to simply describe yourself as ceoliac and avoid gluten altogether, than risk puffing up like a hamster.

But my friend is not avoiding gluten when in Greece, on the contrary...
Virginia wrote:
DashingBob wrote: The big thing I took away from Atkins when I tried it years ago was that refined sugar is evil. Stick with that and you're golden.

That made me giggle Dashing Bob...many many years ago as in errr 40 ish years.... my first easy at university was entitled 'Pure White and Deadly' discuss...
obviously we were supposed to write a paper on refined sugar
errr...lecturer wasnt very happy when I replied with an essay on 'Virgin Polar Bears'!!!! lol...I was such a little smart ass back then!

At least you didn't write about heroine, LOL! I did something similar in art class. The teacher asked about Bauhaus (art movement) and I wrote about the band with the same name.
TML13 wrote: I have a friend who is intolerant of wheat but is ok with gluten in oats or spelt, when they are in Europe it is easier to simply describe yourself as ceoliac and avoid gluten altogether, than risk puffing up like a hamster.

But my friend is not avoiding gluten when in Greece, on the contrary...[/quote]
My friend is based in Germany and does react when they accidentally have wheat there. But spelt or 'dinkel' is pretty big in health foody circles over there and that is fine. Your reference to pasta struck me because I had just been talking to them about the durum wheat pasta is made from. Bread wheat, durum wheat and spelt are different varieties of wheat that evolved from emmer. If (Northern European?) bread wheat is a problem but spelt isn't, then maybe durum is ok too. It is a bit risky though.
38 posts Page 2 of 3