The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Interesting article on the myth of starvation mode

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show ... myth-again
Thanks Tammygirl and it shows that even other forums have good information sometimes!
A good summary!

I want to point this out:
let’s look again at the Minnesota study for further compelling evidence why semi-starvation is not a good idea for long-term weight loss. In the latter half of the Minnesota Starvation Study the men were allowed to eat ad libitum again. Researchers found they had insatiable appetites, yet never felt full, these effects continued for months afterwards. Semi-starvation diets don’t work long-term for this simple reason – under ordinary pressures, when eating resumes, people put the weight back on and oftentimes, gain more.

I am keen to impress on everyone that it is important not to undertake excessive measures to lose weight (many days fasting, continuous very low calorie days etc) because although you might lose weight, as soon as you return to normal eating it will most likely return, as described above.
Good post. Hearing about the Minnesota side effects does make me wonder if there was more to Mr AB's from Dundee mega fast than was reported?
Very good article! I am struck by how different 5:2 is from the "semi-starvation" described, especially the part at the end that carorees quoted above.

Where 5:2 really shines is in how it helps you to manage your hunger, and also how it is set up to be a long-term WOE that you don't have to transition out of, so you don't have to worry about the appetite coming back after you've lost the weight and destroying all the progress you made.
BruceE wrote: Very good article! I am struck by how different 5:2 is from the "semi-starvation" described, especially the part at the end that carorees quoted above.

Where 5:2 really shines is in how it helps you to manage your hunger, and also how it is set up to be a long-term WOE that you don't have to transition out of, so you don't have to worry about the appetite coming back after you've lost the weight and destroying all the progress you made.

I agree Bruce, it's a sustainable way of eating forever, and there are so many benefits over and above the weight loss.

If I was to go back to how I was eating before I started fasting regularly, I'm sure I'd be back with that slow but steady weight gain I was having. BUT not because of fasting, but because it was a slow steady weight gain way of (over) eating.
6 posts Page 1 of 1