The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

121 posts Page 6 of 9
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Hope so! I had a very poor night the night before and had to get up very early for the blood test. I don't do early as my sleep patterns are shot due to the FMS. My brain seems to shut down promptly at 2:30 am and doesn't come back on-line until around 9am! When I have to get up early I seem to spend the day with my brain and bodyt completely out of sync.

I'd forgotten all about the chap doing the 5000cal thing.
http://live.smashthefat.com/5000-calori ... ge-day-14/

He has a week to go.

It's not a very controlled experiment, so I wouldn't like to predict the outcome. His weight is going up now the initial water & glycogen depletion is behind him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/sam-fel ... 50869.html
Thanks Phil. :smile: Don't know how he stomachs all that coconut oil! Yuk!
perhaps he fries his green beans in it - we like them done that way.
Someone told me to try it with scrambled eggs but it was weird! I know of people who add it to coffee but I'm guessing its like adding cream and I like my coffee unadulterated. :smile: Will have to try it next time I do beans. Do you do full on low carb or more Mediterranean?
Miffy, I would have had the same thoughts before 5.2 Now I am a convert - absolutely love the taste of the stuff, and my stirfries have never tasted so good!! oh, and my green beans!
I can eat more than 2500 calories a day of low-carb foods, and still lose weight, even without exercising.
I was quite startled to see how much more I'd been eating when I was losing well. Bit annoyed with myself for getting drawn into the idea that fasting would let me get away with the odd scoop of icecream or some chocolate. :frown: Now I have to get my sweet tooth back into chains!
dhana - details tomorrow. Still haven't worked them all out yet!!

I've been too busy eating my coconut oil by the spoonful, devouring my fruit and double cream and demolishing my strawberries and Camembert cheese!!
miffy49 wrote: Do you do full on low carb or more Mediterranean?

Low carb, the latter is too undefined for me to follow. I prefer to base my limits on something readily accessible on the labels of food or databases.
Makes life simpler. I find grains in any form upset me so I just eat plenty of veg. I try to avoid potatoes because of my joints. Having said that, I find the other members of the nightshade family cause more pain in even small quantities. I can sometimes sneak the odd piece of roast spud without too much trouble but even a hint of chilli or a slice of pepper and my fingers and toes are like sausages!
If anyone wants to watch people overeat in scientific studies, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-A0iHSdcA

It also explains why many people are overweight.

It is hard to believe people could be force fed all they could possibly eat every day for a year and only gain 18% of their starting body weight. :dazed: :shock:
dominic wrote: The conclusions - eat less carbs especially the sugars, eat more nuts, green veg, oily fish etc, are fine, but what had this to do with the central hook of the programme - that calories don't matter?

I'm a little late to this thread, but the big impression I get out of this is that nuts get a short-shrift in the "a calorie is a calorie, calories-in/calories-out" crowd because of the amount of calories and fat there are in things like raw almonds, walnuts, peanuts, etc.

That is, for the "a calorie is a calorie" crowd, you need to look at me with a straight face and tell me that if your TDEE is 2400 calories and you've eaten 1400 calories today, then you are better off eating 500 calories worth of cake and cookies (biscuits for you UK peeps :smile: ) and candy than you would be eating 1000 calories worth of raw almonds because the former gives you a 500 calorie deficit and the latter gets you right to your TDEE and the calorie count is what matters when it comes to losing weight.

I think that most people realize that the above example is a non-trivial challenge to the "calorie is a calorie" crowd, and I think it's the same challenge that 5000 cal/day 21-day challenge guy is doing (who, not coincidentally, is eating a majority of his calories in three snacks full of raw nuts).
dhana wrote: Btw , the guy who is eating 5000cals a day is still going strong, gaining but very little considering. is it a trick PhilT?

If I had to guess, there may be some sort of trick with a laxative-effect of the food chosen. He's not storing those calories, so my guess is he's passing all of the excess calories right through.

I read a criticism that what he's doing might be a form of bulimia. We'll see if he mentions this in his summary at the end.
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
121 posts Page 6 of 9