The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

70 posts Page 5 of 5
... Patisserie and café gourmands!

(Yes TML it's a fast day too, and really suffering now, :shock: :wink:)
I use those digestives (Woolies carry them) like Manderley, here's the recipe.

3/4 packet all crushed with melted butter added to make a tart case. Then when it is set in fridge I layer caramel now called Nestle pie topping but I have in past cooked a closed tin of Nestle condensed milk covered in boiling water you cook until it becomes a caramel. (Caution: Let tin cool down before opening please) Onto this caramel layer, one layers thick slices of banana, it takes at least 3 bananas. Next comes a covering of whipped cream. Sprinkle shaved chocolate on top. This concoction is called a banoffee pie. It is unreal. This of course is pre 5:2 but is great for special events and feast days

The international nature of his forum BTW is priceless. Thanks for this post
oh my.... Banoffee pie the devil incarnate.... I really miss flakes, you know the big delicious chocolate think you can crumble and put on top of everything or eat alone... I am drooling just thinking of it...

It's crazy because when I am in France I miss England and when I am in England, I miss France. I am really torn between the 2 countries (Ireland as well as I am a red headed and I have ancestors somewhere over there)

I hate frog legs and even more since I know how it's prepared. Snails are good but only at christmas and only with a lot of garlic butter....

My nephew went for a bit trip in the US in may and he was astonished by the sizes of everything served. It's huge if you compare with how we eat here, even for him... And he is a big 25 years guy.... :grin:
What's the size of those lorries with the second trailer in the back? THAT size!
A fasting day an I'm reading about all this food eeeekkkkkk!!!!
The best biscuits are Tim Tams. Chocolate coated heaven.
Chocolate digestives are still, and were also a favourite when we were students in the 1960s. One Rag-Time (a fun carnival fund-raiser) you had to guess how far the digestives consumed with their coffees in one term by that particular university's students would stretch when laid end to end. It worked out at 9 MILES! :grin:
Manderley, hi
Auchan now sell farmhouse cheddar and Stilton on the cheese counter...the cheddar is good and strong, great for crumbling on toast or cauliflower cheese.
From the UK I miss.....Yorkshire tea
Baked beans, cost a fortune here
Custard powder
Muller yogurt
Options choc drinks
Bacon
Quoin products
My favourite French things are
Duck
Foie gras
Patisserie cakes....Jesuits especially
All the lovely oils and vinegars
Good cheap wine
Here is a recipe for baked beans for those who cannot live without them.

Ingredients
1 small onion, chopped4 medium tomatoes, chopped1 tbsp tomato puree½ a small apple, chopped1 tsp mixed herbsmarjoram, basil, oregano and thyme½ tsp mustard powder1 tin haricot beans, drained1 tsp brown sugar150ml waterNotesGreat with fresh, crusty bread. Method
Fry the onion in a splash of oil until soft. Add the tomatoes, the tomato puree, the apple and the water and reduce down by boiling for 5 minutes.Add the herbs and mustard powder, mix well and leave to cool for a few minutes.Whizz the mixture in a blender and then put it back in the pan along with the beans and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes.Add the sugar, stir well and serve.
Banoffee pie... I don't like it yet my recipe for it was served at a restaurant for years! :-)
lornameg, I think that Leclerc here has the same cheddar but I don't like this one, I can't explain but it doens't taste "rignt"; I have a ton of baked beans (the less sugary ones) and I love to have some with some grilled tomatoes and some grilled ham for a quick lunch (thank you josie for the recipe, by the way)

I lived in Enggland between 1994 and 1997. In 1994 there was a band who was huge at that time, Take That and I was a devotee fan. I had the vhs of "everything changes" and in that vhs was one of the member who gave a recipe of a bannofee pie, which I made, of course and it's his fault if I get hooked on that sugary thing :grin:

I also remember the very first time I came in England, it was in 1989. I spent 3 hours in a hospital because I hurt my ankle the very first day... The food was terrible in the family I stayed, boiled meat, terrible sauce, all the wrong things that made a terrible reputation of the British cooking, which is a pity because it's excellent and even today I cook a lot of British recipes
70 posts Page 5 of 5