The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

5 posts Page 1 of 1
In my regular search for studies on intermittent fasting, I spotted this one that has just been published http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25260660

The study looked at the white blood cells of people after a 36-hour fast. They found changes in the genes that regulate inflammatory mediators such as interferon. In addition, the gene changes were consistent with stimulation of fatty acid oxidation (i.e., fat burning as you might expect), alterations in cell cycling and apoptosis (which suggests the repair function that we hope fasting stimulates is operative).

They also noted that the baseline data (after an overnight fast so likely about 8-12 hours of fasting) seemed to show that overweight people had more inflammatory genes active.

This work builds on a previous study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17991667 showing that 24 or 48 hours of fasting upregulates PPAR alpha in white blood cells. As PPAR alpha is a pathway that is targeted by some diabetes drugs (the glitazones) and is involved in insulin resistance, this is also very interesting.
Very interesting. Thanks!

However, the glitazone drugs don't target PPAR-alpha. They target PPAR -gamma.

And you probably wouldn't want to stimulate PPAR-gamma on a regular basis since doing so causes weight gain, edema, and turns bone stem cells into baby fat cells. This is why over time the glitazones cause severe irreversible osteoporosis, since the method by which they lower blood sugar is to convert glucose to fat and stuff it into those new baby fat cells. The whole class of glitazones (also known as TZDs) has turned out to be very nasty. They can also cause edema in the retina that damages eyesight and provoke heart failure in people who did not have heart failure before starting the drug.
Oh bother, that's what happens when I write something from memory without checking first! Many apologies!

So is PPAR alpha the one that the fibrates act on?
That's very interesting! Is that a water-only fast? Or were some calories allowed?
That would be a water-only fast, but the 24-hour data are encouraging anyhow.
5 posts Page 1 of 1