The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Asking for cholesterol advice
04 Jul 2014, 11:23
Is this where I can ask about cholesterol in relation to 5:2?

I've been fasting since April 25 , 2013. Had a 2 and 1/2 month break.

I've just had my cholesterol checked. For all the money I pay to see a doctor, he says if I dont ring it means no action needed.

He is gone for a week, but I have the right to know my numbers and if I want to understand them.

I have to pay for another visit. There is a question mark next to my cholesterol numbers, but no one will discuss them with me, seeing as he is gone for a week.

Is this a way of holding my results randsome, so I ramp up gp business?

Sorry I am ranting with increased frustration as I type.

I have suspicion my numbers are not changed. Last May of '13 I was the last number in the safe bracket.

I have been curious about fasting having any benefits on cholesterol, seeing as if you eat that butter or biscuit on a feeding day, how is this of benefit to the fasting in relation to cholesterol lowering.

Sorry I have this way of going around and beating about the bush. Not really good at being to the point.

I will demand a print out of my results. In the past their explanations of results are rather poorly anyway.(too brief and basic)
If I bring my results to this sub forum (the lab) I a sure some helpful lab person can help me decipher what no gp has done for me yet.

Sorry for my rambling, I hope someone can decipher this and help :bugeyes:
Hi @Zamale

Not exactly sure what you're asking but if you are wanting to know what numbers to get from your doc, try to get LDL-P, triglycerides and HDL-C (C for cholesterol), they will probably give you total cholesterol as well and maybe LDL-C.

You are looking to have a ratio of triglycerides to HDL-C of under 4 (i.e. divide the triglycerides value by the HDL-C value)
A ratio of total cholesterol to HDL-C of under 3.5 (total cholesterol divided by HDL-C)
A value of LDL-P of under 1000

Hope this helps
I thought the recent thinking about cholesterol is that is isn't really affected by butter and red meat consumption as the animal cholesterol isn't used by or can't be converted into human cholesterol. Also it isn't the total cholesterol that's important, its the ratio between the large cholesterol and the small cholesterol that's more important. The small cholesterol cells/particles being the dangerous ones because they can slip through cell walls much more easily. You can have a high cholesterol reading, but if the large cholesterol particles dominate then you are in good health.
Exactly Julie that is why the triglyceride to HDL or the LDL-P is the best thing to measure.
Hi Zamale,
You have every right to be given your numbers over the phone if that is what you want. I ask the practise nurse for them, there is no reason why you should have to pay another $80, or whatever it is just to have them told to you. It is up to you what you then do with the information.
Thanks, I appreciate your replies. I was bit frustrated, the front desk wouldn't tell me the numbers. I have to talk directly to the gp, but he's not in till next week and then feel he will want me in to discuss that question mark in relation to the cholesterol.
Hi
I have a yearly check and my doctor ticks the box for a copy to go to me and writes 'to pt'. If he forgets I tick the box and write 'to pt'! Always get a copy which clearly states the optimum levels and where you sit.
ps. I am in WA
8 posts Page 1 of 1