The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Biscuits!!
18 Aug 2013, 13:04
Hi

Briefly, I got to4 pm yesterday (a freeday) and got a craving for biscuits. This was no ordinary craving.. but that'as maybe.

So, I guzzled about three packets last night.

Today I was undecided on whether to fast or not, a look at the scales this morning convinced me.....um.....maybe I should.

So, what was happening today after scoffing gazzilion calories yesterday (ie a sugar spike the size of Ben Nevis) physiologically in my bood stream etc etc?

I fasted friday quite successfully.

Any one?

(otherwise I ate quite sensibly yesttday until evening)

David
Re: Biscuits!!
18 Aug 2013, 13:27
I have no idea about the physiology of why that would happen, but I have to say three packets of biscuits is impressive!
18 Aug 2013, 13:41
I have always had a thing for biscuits, to the extent that when I was on other diets I would never allow biscuits into the house. As I was perpetually on one diet or another, there was never biscuits in the house as I would eat the lot. For some reason now that I can have biscuits, I have them in the house, and only eat 2 or three at a time.
The complete opposite of what you had. But just as weird to me.

As for phsiological symptoms, I should say that what has been done, is done. You had a sugar burst, the sugar swamped your body, the insulin was realeased to mop up the excess and stored it as fat. You now have a minute layer of biscuit flavoured fat stuck somewhere in your body.
18 Aug 2013, 14:12
Tracieknits wrote: I have no idea about the physiology of why that would happen, but I have to say three packets of biscuits is impressive!

That wasn't entirely what I was asking.
18 Aug 2013, 14:15
Julieathome wrote: I have always had a thing for biscuits, to the extent that when I was on other diets I would never allow biscuits into the house. As I was perpetually on one diet or another, there was never biscuits in the house as I would eat the lot. For some reason now that I can have biscuits, I have them in the house, and only eat 2 or three at a time.
The complete opposite of what you had. But just as weird to me.

As for phsiological symptoms, I should say that what has been done, is done. You had a sugar burst, the sugar swamped your body, the insulin was realeased to mop up the excess and stored it as fat. You now have a minute layer of biscuit flavoured fat stuck somewhere in your body.

Which I have spent today trying to burn off again.

Right.

:like:
18 Aug 2013, 14:16
Three packets, that's some binge!!

The past week I've felt some serious cravings for biscuits and sweet stuff, and have given in sometimes, but have also tried to find alternatives like grapes, apple or nuts. Maybe just don't replace the biscuits you've eaten and write this off to experience.
18 Aug 2013, 14:44
There's only one way to eat a biscuit, IME!

That's to grab one (or two if you're feeling expansive) just as you're going out of the house.

DON'T have your first nibble until you are well away from the house - with me it's when I'm in the car.

Make that the only time you have a biscuit - and the desire to eat biscuits will eventually fade.

Failing that, don't have them in the house. :smile:
18 Aug 2013, 14:48
silverbelle wrote: Three packets, that's some binge!!

The past week I've felt some serious cravings for biscuits and sweet stuff, and have given in sometimes, but have also tried to find alternatives like grapes, apple or nuts. Maybe just don't replace the biscuits you've eaten and write this off to experience.

I'm not in the slightest bit worried about it(though obviously idon't want a repetition too soon).

As in the OP I was interested in the consequential bodily processes invovled.....not particularly opinions on how many biscuits one should eat/how many is a lot :wink: .
18 Aug 2013, 14:52
I think I should have written my opening post a little differently. :?:

I thought under the "science" tab I'd have got scientific answers :smile:
18 Aug 2013, 16:54
I think physiologically today your like normal, the sugar spike would have happened around 1/2 hour after eating, and the crash 4 - 6 hours after that, but by now the sugar/carbs will be stored or used. Today I would eat low carb and low GI to try to counter the biscuits as much as poss, but I think the psychological effects would be worse than the physical ones in my case :(
18 Aug 2013, 16:58
It could be that your body was needing to replenish your glycogen stores after the fast on Friday. You don't say what you ate on Saturday before the craving set in...was it fairly low carb? Or perhaps you had a high GI meal which resulted in a dip in blood sugar due to over production of insulin. If the biscuits went to replenish glycogen stores it would be associated with water retention (glycogen contains a lot of water) hence the bad news on the scales.

I found some evidence that showed how changes in leptin concentrations might make snacking more of a problem in the evening than the daytime so that might be a contributory factor.

The whole physiology of dieting, fasting etc is so complex, I don't know that it is possible to say for sure what actually triggers such cravings.
18 Aug 2013, 17:35
carorees wrote: It could be that your body was needing to replenish your glycogen stores after the fast on Friday. You don't say what you ate on Saturday before the craving set in...was it fairly low carb? Or perhaps you had a high GI meal which resulted in a dip in blood sugar due to over production of insulin. If the biscuits went to replenish glycogen stores it would be associated with water retention (glycogen contains a lot of water) hence the bad news on the scales.

I found some evidence that showed how changes in leptin concentrations might make snacking more of a problem in the evening than the daytime so that might be a contributory factor.

The whole physiology of dieting, fasting etc is so complex, I don't know that it is possible to say for sure what actually triggers such cravings

I'm reasonably certain what triggeed the craving.

Again that wasn't the question.

Saturday, it wasn't a brilliant day diet wise. It started with porridge (fair enough) with sunflower seeds. Then scrambled aggs lunch time. I was still hungry so I had a baggette from the local shop (whoops white bread baggeete and cheese and pickles)....it degraded rapidly from there on.
18 Aug 2013, 17:38
Nicky_94 wrote: I think physiologically today your like normal, the sugar spike would have happened around 1/2 hour after eating, and the crash 4 - 6 hours after that, but by now the sugar/carbs will be stored or used. Today I would eat low carb and low GI to try to counter the biscuits as much as poss, but I think the psychological effects would be worse than the physical ones in my case :(

Noooooo,

We're not doing too badly.

Temporary gliche only. :oops: :lol:
18 Aug 2013, 17:42
Thanks for the inputs.

i'll try and piece this one together.
18 Aug 2013, 18:44
The baguette probably resulted in a dip in blood sugar due to over production of insulin in response to the high GI food. The high insulin prevents lipolysis so switching your body into carb burning hence the need for biscuits.
15 posts Page 1 of 1