The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

24 posts Page 2 of 2
I have to exercise in my hamster cage @jools7 as it is too hot outside and I have no gym. Would you say, having done a fair bit of HIIT that you could run very, very manically on the spot and march for the recovery period to get the same effect? Sounds daft, but it is the only option I have. How about burpees? :confused:
Hi @debs - I am no expert either theoretically and especially personally, but I think if you do anything to around 85-90% of your maximum for short bursts, it should work. The program I am using suggests lots of alternatives - even stair-climbing or stepping. I'm currently doing it on my squeaky old cross trainer, which, bizarrely, doesn't squeak as much at high rpms! Good luck with your efforts! I am up for another one today. But just bear in mind, its name is high intensity, and I did find it quite full-on yesterday, my first one!
Oh, or skipping is also mentioned - too much boob bounce for me!
As a doctor myself I can say unequivocally that Yes, you should definitely get medical approval to start any exercise regime. And yes, I'm sure the studies with people with heart failure and other serious medical issues were certainly supervised. But I don't think merely being overweight or obese constitutes a good enough reason not to try to help ourselves exercise optimally.
Jumping jacks. high knees, very fast low squats, running really fast on the spot, burpees, all of those are really good for HIIT. Definitely don't have to stick to sprinting and cycling. I mix it up a lot, even within the same session.
Thanks kata mac and Jools, I shall be trying all of the above. I know what you mean about the boobs though, my room is so small, they would probably bounce of the wall :confused: :lol: :lol:
@Diverdoc -Your warning about the possible danger of HIIT is sound. Given that most of us have a variety of risk factors for CHD/CVA, suddenly jumping into an exercise routine at maximal intensity does pose risks. The research on HIIT is strong, and I think it shows real promise, but no one doing those studies would recommend that a previously couch bound body should take on this type of challenge without some type of evaluation. :-)
I'm late reading this article compared to when you first shared it, but since I joined the HIT club this week and wanted to get started, I feel like I have a much better handle on which protocol I'm going to use and what changes I can look for immediately. As a type 2 overweight diabetic, this sounds like a most effective plan. I'll post results in the club thread.
I understand that one should consult a doctor, especially at 73, but as I have been to the gym for 4 years, 2 or 3 times a week with a trainer- recommended programme for me, I have not found the first HIIT basic at all hard, and will build it up very slowly. It is great for the days I can't get to the gym. I want to keep fit as best I can and enjoy it. :like:
24 posts Page 2 of 2