The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

24 posts Page 1 of 2
Here is a great review of the benefits of high intensity interval training.
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobe/2011/868305/
The effect of regular aerobic exercise on body fat is negligible; however, other forms of exercise may have a greater impact on body composition. For example, emerging research examining high-intensity intermittent exercise (HIIE) indicates that it may be more effective at reducing subcutaneous and abdominal body fat than other types of exercise. The mechanisms underlying the fat reduction induced by HIIE, however, are undetermined. Regular HIIE has been shown to significantly increase both aerobic and anaerobic fitness. HIIE also significantly lowers insulin resistance and results in a number of skeletal muscle adaptations that result in enhanced skeletal muscle fat oxidation and improved glucose tolerance. This review summarizes the results of HIIE studies on fat loss, fitness, insulin resistance, and skeletal muscle. Possible mechanisms underlying HIIE-induced fat loss and implications for the use of HIIE in the treatment and prevention of obesity are also discussed.

Thank you to @jools7 for alerting me to this paper!
Its what my gym instructor has my son on. I do a milder version which is on the stationary bike I do 2 minute cycling, then a burst or 10 seconds as fast and as hard as I can, then I repeat for 10 or 12 minutes. Boy does it get the heart rate up.
Whats the best way to do HIIT at home without a bike ?
Minumonline wrote: Whats the best way to do HIIT at home without a bike ?

Davina has a HIIT DVD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Davina-Intense- ... tense+2013
Great. Thanks @Rawkaren
Don't forget to do it properly involves massive effort. It's what Andrew Marr was doing when he had his CVA! 5:2 gives better results!
hi @diverdoc, the author of the article, a researcher at University of New South Wales, has modified his protocol from the standard Wingate (see review above) to something that he says is a bit less stringent, with 8 second bursts and 12 second breaks. I think the jury is out on what is optimal and do-able. I can't comment on it personally since I haven't tried it yet - maybe stuff for a new year's resolution?
The Andrew Marr incident was not really due to HIIT. He had other risk factors. They use HIIT to help heart failure patients to improve and it's been used post MI.

Fasting does some of the same things as HIIT in that it affects mitochondria, and reduces diabetes risk, but it can't affect VO2 max as far as I'm aware!

Dr Mosley recommends 5:2 and HIIT (he uses a 3 x 20 second protocol with the in between recovery period being 1-2 min). He showed that doing this 3x per week significantly reduced his diabetes risk due to improved glucose tolerance.
I hurt my hamstring 9 months ago with sudden bursts at high speed on my treadmill. Still not healed yet. As I refused to stop daily jogging. Now I have to to go physical therapy sessions for help, ya just can't win!
The jury is certainly out especially when you may be dealing with a high risk group as many on this forum may be. The results on HIIT certainly do look good, but like so many things the original methods get watered down to fit a population who are not of the type in original studies. Also, what may be of use to reduce risk factors may not be at the same level to produce great change in functional, ie athletic performance.
Actually I am a fan of HIIT, and do 4 minutes of 20 sec exc ten rest, repeated four times twice a week. It certainly reduced my resting heart rate faster than other forms of exercise I have used over the years, with an increase in my diving performance.
Diverdoc wrote: The jury is certainly out especially when you may be dealing with a high risk group as many on this forum may be.

@diverdoc
Surely these studies in a high risk population are worth something?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24144531
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22900793
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22694349
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21946419

and re your diving fitness, did you see this?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18251440
My only concern is that people who may try it may try one of the more extreme forms of HIIT without proper evaluation and implementation,unlike those in trials. They do state that more research needs to be done,as all researchers do,but personally I do think that providing it is done safely it superior to other forms of training. With regards to the diving fitness reference,I have missed that one,lol and am really grateful for you to have found it.
well, now I do have some personal experience of HIIT - Steve Boutcher & Dunn's protocol of 8 sec sprints/12 sec cool down - for 10 mins (which is what they suggest for newbies) plus 5 mins warm up & cool down. Bit of a shock for the old bod for the first three, but after that was a bit easier. How I'm feeling now post work-out definitely suggests that it worked - general nausea & wobbliness happening here! I forgot to put my HRM on, but immediately after I was still at 140 bpm, which is pretty good a couple of minutes into recovery for me, since I'm 56. I'll try again tomorrow!

Anyone else who's doing it remember how it felt the first few tries? I'm glad I didn't have intervals of 20 seconds straight, like MM! 8 secs was enough!!
Hello jools, I do (did!) interval training on the rowing machine; 2k warm up then 60 secs at full pelt 60 secs recovery x 10 times - supposedly twice!
I thought I would vomit at first and was very shaky and bright red and felt awful for the first lots of times!
It took ages to build up to doing the full set and even now, I tend to aim for 10 intervals in two groups of 5 as it still kills me.
Strangely though, I love it...
but it is ages since I have done it and I really do want to get back to it, even three times a week...
oh thanks so much @janeg - nice to know I'm not the only one nauseous - misery loves company, they say! And that it takes a while to build up to. But, goodness, 60 sec intervals, that's cruel and unusual punishment! I've been feeling really great for the rest of the day, though, very clear and focused. I'll give it another go tomorrow, this time with my HRM on!
24 posts Page 1 of 2