The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

29 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: New BMI calculator
30 Apr 2013, 08:02
That waist:height ratio thingy is something I just can't get my head around... I'm tall, so my waist would be massive? Must be maximum waist measurement guide, no? (that sentence looks odd compared to how it sounded in my head!)
30 Apr 2013, 09:08
Down 1.4 for me, interesting as it means on the new Score

I AM NOT OBESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like it!
01 May 2013, 20:53
The new system is clearly wonderful, as I lose almost a whole point! :cool: :heart:
02 May 2013, 00:55
boboff wrote: Down 1.4 for me, interesting as it means on the new Score

I AM NOT OBESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like it!

Phoenix wrote: The new system is clearly wonderful, as I lose almost a whole point! :cool: :heart:

:razz: Does not a thing for me! :razz:

Congrats to Bob and Phoenix! *wonders off to find the jealous emoticon* :cry:
06 May 2013, 14:56
1.3 drop for me, I like this new calculator!
06 May 2013, 15:51
I've never been a lover of the BMI indicator, I've dropped by 1.2 on the new one by the way.

But if you put the height and weight of virtually any International Rugby forward into the calculator, they're all obese :?: ........ anyone want to go and tell 'em :bugeyes:
06 May 2013, 17:29
Not impressed. Mine's higher!
06 May 2013, 19:17
chichi13 wrote: That waist:height ratio thingy is something I just can't get my head around... I'm tall, so my waist would be massive? Must be maximum waist measurement guide, no? (that sentence looks odd compared to how it sounded in my head!)

The 0.5 ratio would say a 30 inch waist for a 5' height and a 36 inch waist for 6'.

I think it's used as a figure above which populations have higher risks of some health issue, it appears "controversial" with some arguing waist:hip is better and others preferring BMI.

Basically the fatter you are the bigger your waist will be, and the higher the risk of bad stuff happening. I don't think anything happens at 0.5001 that doesn't happen at 0.4999 :smile:
New BMI calculator
09 Sep 2013, 02:30
Whoops, didn't check the site carefully, and there's already a thread by the same title with the same info.........

I debated whether to post this, as it is bad news for all of us short people. But if you're very tall, it's great news..
A statistician has developed a new BMI calculator. He has this to say:

"We live in a three-dimensional world, yet the BMI is defined as weight divided by height squared," Trefethen wrote in a letter to the Economist, published January 5. "It was invented in the 1840s, before calculators, when a formula had to be very simple to be usable. As a consequence of this ill-founded definition, millions of short people think they are thinner than they are, and millions of tall people think they are fatter."

You can google new BMI calculator to use it online (or someone else can post the link - I'm not sure how to do that). I'm using it, though it's a bit depressing to be trying to lose even more weight. But I try to be honest with myself. The standard calculator tells me I can be 119 pounds and not be overweight. But at that weight, looking in the mirror, it was blatantly obvious I was quite overweight.
25 Sep 2013, 13:50
Mine is .9 higher on the new system. My favorite part was the "share this on Twitter" link on the bottom. Yes, Twitter, followers, I'm fatter than I was yesterday, even as I celebrated finally going over a small plateau. Nature giveth and she taketh away... (or in this case, she taketh away and she giveth back!)
25 Sep 2013, 14:19
Well for me it states that the lowest healthy weight I can be is 6st 5lbs. I was at that weight before and lets just say I needed treatment.
25 Sep 2013, 16:09
The thing I've never been able to get about BMI is that it takes no account of age or level of fitness. A bit of a blunt tool imho.
25 Sep 2013, 16:51
0.5 increase for me :frown:
Still in overweight and not obese, but only just!
25 Sep 2013, 17:25
It IS a blunt tool. jmousey, I can top your numbers - the new version says I can be 5st 13 lbs!! At that weight, there's no way I'd be healthy. But I think the intent is not that everyone will be healthy anywhere in their range, but that where you should be within that range depends on your build, your fitness, maybe even your age.

Anyway, my goal is 7st. I expect to be healthy, comfortable, and look as good as possible at that weight. And all by the end of the year, hopefully! And it's such a nice round number (got out my calculator to put all this in stones for you Brits).

NermieD, you made me laugh. Why do people want to tweet their weight, their dinner plans, the minutae of their lives??
29 posts Page 2 of 2