The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

29 posts Page 1 of 2
New BMI calculator
30 Apr 2013, 00:38
Daily Telegraph (UK) today has this article which I thought was interesting although as a shorty my BMI goes up by 1.5

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... w-BMI.html
Re: New BMI calculator
30 Apr 2013, 01:02
Mine goes down - by .1! I feel SOOOO much healthier! :grin:
30 Apr 2013, 01:20
Lucky you debbiejgb :grin: - my husbands goes down as well. Did you notice one of the related articles which states that it is better to aim to get waist measurement at least half your height.

Although that wouldn't work for me I would still be too heavy if I went by that as it would be about six inches over my waist measurement at my proper weight. :?:

Ah well I don't think I will get too concerned which 'official' measurements I take into account, I know I am overweight so will just work to lose all the extra I am carrying around and I can only be healthier and feel much better.
30 Apr 2013, 02:38
it made me go up too! right after dipping below 30. Evil evil new BMI calculator :-(
30 Apr 2013, 04:35
I don't like the new bmi either :( and shouldn't BMI be different for men and women? I would think a 5'5" man at my weight would have a different BMI since men carry more lean muscle mass.
30 Apr 2013, 05:37
not playing *sulks*
hate BMI and it's terminology although I appreciate that it is a kind of useful tool.
When I did Men's health clinics and worked out BMI, I would never say the category that the number put folk into- just pointed to the chart and said ' your wight and height put you into this centile'. Words can be so mean and hurtful :(
30 Apr 2013, 06:07
What is the point in THAT :?: Only a teensy tiny fraction of a difference for me...
30 Apr 2013, 06:50
Woohoo!! Mine is 1.8 points less!! :victory:

Kind of arbitrary though...
30 Apr 2013, 06:59
As much as I hate gaining a point, I think this new calculator is right. My BMI in the old system seemed low for what I know I look like in person. As a very short person, I know that the amount of fat I have is a lot for my height. When you're short, a pound of fat looks and feels like a lot more than it would on a taller person.
30 Apr 2013, 07:06
This article is interesting - but not new! See this earlier discussion here.
30 Apr 2013, 07:07
Mmm.........my Omron Body fat scales say 26.1, this forum says 25.9, and Daily Telegraph says 25.8. I'll just still with the forum.
30 Apr 2013, 07:34
I just dropped 0.6 from my old BMI figure.
I always knew the old BMI was cheating on me :razz:
30 Apr 2013, 07:39
0.3 less for me, rock on!
30 Apr 2013, 07:47
Down 1.2 for me. I always thought it was a really strange system and it doesn't say much abouth how healthy you are.
30 Apr 2013, 07:54
0.1 drop for me. I read yesterday that women of 60 and over should aim for a BMI of 25 to 27 as the little extra may protect against osteoporosis. What do our experts make of that? I do like the logic of your waist being best at half your height, there's a cool elegance to that. I need to lose 3.5 inches off mine to achieve that.
29 posts Page 1 of 2