The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Re: Autophagy
23 Feb 2013, 12:57
It was very well written, clear and referenced. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The bit about loading up on too many carbs on feed days was intersting.

Thanks for that!
27 Feb 2013, 20:51
Oooh now, this is what I have recently come to think is happening with my weight dithering around a plateau this month. Too many carbs on feed days so no more than 2 slices of good bread a feed day and eat after 11am e.g. Scrambled eggs done in butter, no toast if I can avoid it. Protein and veg for evening dinner, bio yogurt for dessert (protecting gut flora), fruit to nibble later. Obvs this out the window if eating out! But good intentions and under 1500 cals on week feed days may just get the weight going down again. Little treat allowed weekends too. I don't want to be always counting cals again but it's such a different way of thinking of food it will take getting used to. Always rigid on fast days with the 500 cals though, 24 hours after previous days evening meal essential.
Sorry. Gone on a bit there, but it's been pinballing round my head all day whilst playing with 5 and 3 year old grandsons. I want to be around for their uni graduations ...
27 Feb 2013, 21:12
Azure, you needed to average more than 1500 on feed days I think, unless your TDEE is about that? If your TDEE is about 1500 then you're fast day calories need to be reduced to a quarter of TDEE.

It is the BIG difference between feed days and fast days that is important in preventing a metabolic slow down and helps with health. You don't want to expose your body to constant stress by undereating as that promotes illness, you need to give it occasional acute stress which promotes autophagy.
28 Feb 2013, 10:08
Right, thank you. Just found a tdee calculator that said 1705 for me so 426 tops on fast days? Hang on, just tried another that said 1640 tdee. Rather a large difference on the day? And another comes in at 1695! Soooo do I guesstimate an average of those 3? That is 1680, so 420 tops on fast days. I can live with that I think.
28 Feb 2013, 10:28
TDEE has a few components - BMR plus physical activity plus thermic effect of food. The estimates from equations are no better than +/- 10% and that range covers about 70% of the population. So they're all 1700 which suggests you put in sedentary ?
28 Feb 2013, 10:30
Yes as I have a bit of a duff hip so a 2 mile walk twice a week is about it. Is that ok?
28 Feb 2013, 10:53
Azureblue wrote: Yes as I have a bit of a duff hip so a 2 mile walk twice a week is about it. Is that ok?

Sure, we tend to overstate our energy expenditure and understate our intake so it does no harm to be conservative on the exercise.
04 Mar 2013, 14:07
I found the article enlightening and made a lot of sense. Shall keep up with his site in future.
9 posts Page 1 of 1