The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

91 posts Page 6 of 7
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
When you say "7. What has been your average change in weight" do you mean total change or average per unit of time or......

Do you want an "under 18s" option, or an exclusion of immature subjects.

Item 10 - ask for web site or name of formula used perhaps ?

Item 13 - PCOS, Diabetes . Maybe "Other......."
I think exclude under 18s as we have so few anyway. I've made the other changes you suggested!
Hello Carorees,

Good idea this questionaire, I'm really curious about the results.
I just find question 29 unclear (Could be because I'm not native English?)
Do you mean how warm it is in house (in degrees Celcius/Fahrenheit) or how warm we feel?

Kind regards,
Sandy
Looks great. The only bit I'd struggle with is the questions about whether I count cals - I do it religously some days, then not at all others. Theres a massive difference between my weekday and weekend approach. But I'd love to take part, and will answer as best I can
@Sandy: Well at first I was going to suggest temperatures in degrees C and F and then I thought perhaps how it feels is more important and probably not everyone knows what the actual temp is but they should know how they feel! What do people think about this? The point behind the question is that if you are cold it can increase BAT and so increase thermogenesis and it might also increase movement.

@Minumonline: if you have some idea as to what your weekday and weekend counts are that will be helpful. I don't know whether counting calories itself makes a difference but of course the amount of calories consumed will do - so any indication we can get as to what people are consuming on average and how much it varies from day to day is likely to be helpful.
PhilT wrote:

This doesn't make sense to me now, sorry.

"Have you ever been diagnosed with any of the following:
a. Thyroid disorder
b. Fibromyalgia
c. ME
d. PCOS
e. Other"

Other what? You might find that some people give you a list of any ailment they have ever had! Should it be something like "other metabolism affecting disorder"?
Doh! Of course! :oops:

And I forgot to add diabetes! Will attend to this tomorrow when I'm back at my PC.
I think it is indeed a good idea to ask people about how warm/cold they feel it is.
Maybe even ask if it has changed or if it is different on fast or feed days?
And then there are people like me, who have never lost weight easily after the first two weeks on a diet. I think my body need dynamite to separate it from its fat.

I do not overeat! But I have a hypothyroid condition, and that must be the reason. I also have several food intolerances, so don't have a chance to eat all possible foods.

However, that said, I'm losing half to one kilo a month and have done for four months. For me that's a steady and pleasing loss, and even half a kilo a month is 6kg a year.

I can't help envying the easy losers though!
Jemima wrote:
PhilT wrote:

This doesn't make sense to me now, sorry.

"Have you ever been diagnosed with any of the following:
a. Thyroid disorder
b. Fibromyalgia
c. ME
d. PCOS
e. Other"

Other what? You might find that some people give you a list of any ailment they have ever had! Should it be something like "other metabolism affecting disorder"?

I've added Diabetes but left off the 'other' option as it is too vague. Bearing in mind what saj said above, perhaps we should add a question to the section on previous diet history about whether the weight loss was rapid/slow on the previous diets?

I've also put a note on the temperature question to say you should enter how it feels rather than the actual temperature...OK?
Looks good to me. :)
In order to understand why some people lose more and faster than others, I think it is important to look at the kind of foods they are eating as well as how many calories.

There was a recent study in Manchester, England, with overweight women at risk for type 2 diabetes and breast cancer. They were assigned to three different groups. One group ate a calorie restricted Mediterranean-style diet 7 days a week. A second group ate calorie restricted low carbs for 2 days per week and a third group ate a liberal low carb diet for 2 days per week. The low carb groups lost more weight and improved insulin levels more than the calorie restricted plan. Most importantly, they stuck with the plans in greater numbers.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 184651.htm

I think trying to eat high-glycemic carbs on fast days makes it tougher. The best diet is the one you can stick with for the long haul.
Yes bordergirl I think you are right about low carb making it easier. The study you refer to was by Michelle Harvie and Tony Howell and led to the Two Day Diet book.

The other interesting finding of their research was that there was little difference in outcomes between the two low carb groups, suggesting that restricting calories on the non-fasting days didn't make much odds to the end results. This fits with the experience of a number of people here (though I hasten to add, apropos of another current topic, that it shouldn't be taken to mean that you can eat as much as you can on the non-fasting days!)
Another study that I posted about the other day showed that the success of a low carb diet depended on the insulin sensitivity of the person. People with insulin resistance lost weight better on low carb diets, people without insulin resistance lost weight better on low fat diets.
carorees wrote: Another study that I posted about the other day showed that the success of a low carb diet depended on the insulin sensitivity of the person. People with insulin resistance lost weight better on low carb diets, people without insulin resistance lost weight better on low fat diets.

Can you repost the link please
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
91 posts Page 6 of 7