The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Creatinine levels
05 Apr 2013, 08:49
Hi, not sure if I'm posting this is the right place. OH started the WOL with me a couple of months ago and has just had the results back from his routine blood tests. We were amazed at the improvements particularly in triglycerides and cholesterol. All the results were now well back into the normal range. However does anybody know whether this 5:2 fasting has any impact on your creatinine levels?

Apologies is I've spelt anything incorrectly but these are the French versions.
Re: Creatinine levels
05 Apr 2013, 09:04
I haven't seen anything on creatinine specifically with 5:2, but there is this thread: viewtopic.php?t=1936&p=15464 from a member whose OH was suffering from renal failure and had seen a big improvement in glomerular filtration rate since doing 5:2.

As you know, 5:2 only involves a partial/short term fast. However, there is some evidence that fasting for 4 days can temporarily increase creatinine levels: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6466015

Hope that helps!
05 Apr 2013, 11:33
Thanks Caro that's interesting. Perhaps he should have his bloods done not after a fast day in future.
05 Apr 2013, 12:48
Creatinine levels can go up if you don't drink too much water. If on the day before the blood tests one has had too much alcohol or coffee, an increased level of creatinine might occur.
06 Apr 2013, 06:57
Creatinine is a product of muscle "break down" - sounds dramatic, but goes on every day and possibly more so when fasting. Also, high meat (i.e. muscle) consumption may raise serum creatinine.
Not checking levels on a post-fast day seems like a good plan.
06 Apr 2013, 07:58
My husband who has FSGS, kidney disease for the rest of us, did the 5:2 for 3 months, lost a stone in weight but unfortunately, everything had shot up after his routine blood test, so I'm afraid he has now abandoned it but the good news is that his new drug seems to be suppressing his appetite so I am hoping that he loses more more weight albeit by drug intervention rather than the natural way. Some things are just meant to be.

Ballerina x
06 Apr 2013, 10:30
What's in that medicine?
I remember one time, around 15-20 years ago, my friend's father started a medicine (no way I'll remember for what) and it made hie migraines go away. My friend checked what was in it and it wasn't the main ingredient of the drug but one of the things that the pill was made of (do I make sense? I'm not good in explaining medical stuff).
Anyway, she found it in a herb shop and started making tea with it so that she would stop her migraines. It lasted for a few months and then her body probably got used to it but it was a very interesting revelation.
7 posts Page 1 of 1