The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

12 posts Page 1 of 1
NEAT - the missing link ?
08 Apr 2013, 19:52
Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis - twitching and fidgetting.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/283/5399/212 found that " Two-thirds of the increases in total daily energy expenditure was due to increased nonexercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), which is associated with fidgeting, maintenance of posture, and other physical activities of daily life. Changes in NEAT accounted for the 10-fold differences in fat storage that occurred and directly predicted resistance to fat gain with overfeeding (correlation coefficient = 0.77, probability < 0.001). These results suggest that as humans overeat, activation of NEAT dissipates excess energy to preserve Leanness and that failure to activate NEAT may result in ready fat gain."

I wonder if this fills the gap seen between expected loss from energy deficiency and the extra weight loss of the "optimum" combinations of insulin sensitivity and carb level.
Re: NEAT - the missing link ?
08 Apr 2013, 19:56
I'm sure you're right there (or if not all the difference, a great deal)! Get out the hard chairs!

Perhaps I should embrace the sleepless nights because I'm getting a lot of NEAT overnight!
09 Apr 2013, 05:52
"increased nonexercise activity "

Is this similar to saying some folks have a higher basal metabolic rate (BMR) than others?
09 Apr 2013, 06:13
LastChance wrote: "increased nonexercise activity "

Is this similar to saying some folks have a higher basal metabolic rate (BMR) than others?

No. BMR is inactive, the A in NEAT is about activity.

Michael Mosley covered it in his exercise programme http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... t-exercise
09 Apr 2013, 06:43
carorees wrote: I'm sure you're right there (or if not all the difference, a great deal)! Get out the hard chairs!

Perhaps I should embrace the sleepless nights because I'm getting a lot of NEAT overnight!

Maybe that is the secret to your above average awe-inspiring results - sleepless nights spent fidgeting? Silver linings!
But - how to include NEAT in the questionnaire? An activity sensor (like Fitbit) would help, but I don't know how many people have such a gadget.
09 Apr 2013, 07:20
We could ask something like "do you fidget a lot" perhaps ?
09 Apr 2013, 07:53
I don't sleep as well after a fasting day. I'm not hungry, but I keep waking up and I have to go to the bathroom more than usual. I normally go straight back to sleep. After fasting days, however, I toss and turn. Maybe that's NEAT kicking in. Or something else?
09 Apr 2013, 09:16
PhilT wrote:
LastChance wrote: "increased nonexercise activity "

No. BMR is inactive, the A in NEAT is about activity.

Michael Mosley covered it in his exercise programme http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... t-exercise

Many thanks for the link.
09 Apr 2013, 12:27
PhilT wrote: We could ask something like "do you fidget a lot" perhaps ?

After all these years being told not to fidget, I'm not prepared to answer that truthfully. :grin:
I'm not sure that question would cover it all. As far as I've understood, NEAT is also other general activity that is not labeled exercise (walking to and from the coffee machine, having a chat standing up, taking the stairs, etc.). I just read a couple of studies that this actually has health effects bigger than the one or two hours exercise/week that is so good for our conscience, erm, heart. Maybe we should ask how many hours per day people spend sitting down? (plus the fidgeting??)
09 Apr 2013, 12:57
yep, in the original paper "NEAT is the thermogenesis that accompanies physical activities other than volitional exercise, such as the activities of daily living, fidgeting, spontaneous muscle contraction, and maintaining posture when not recumbent."
09 Apr 2013, 14:25
So watching TV while sitting on a hard stool would burn more calories than slouching on a comfy sofa!
09 Apr 2013, 15:07
carorees wrote: So watching TV while sitting on a hard stool would burn more calories than slouching on a comfy sofa!

Exactly! On the other hand, you could also slouch on the sofa while watching a programme with really stupid, annoying or disgusting content. Plenty to choose from. :grin:
Currently, I watch TV and DVD's standing up due to back pain. I can feel the heat from the calories burning at the stake, while I laugh cruelly.
12 posts Page 1 of 1