The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Cold Hands! Eat for Heat?
09 Apr 2013, 17:30
We already have NEAT as a reason why some people burn more calories than others - see the very interesting NEAT - the missing link ? topic.

But I don't feel that is the whole story. Some of us are often hotter than others I think, not internally but I mean on the outside - most noticeably hands and feet. And having hot hands and feet must obviously burn more calories.

Is there anything that we can do to manipulate this to assist with weight loss i.e. to help cold fish become hot potatoes?

There's an interesting blog post here which discusses the idea of the book 'Eat for Heat' that eating certain foods (and not drinking too much water) promotes warm extremities.

Although it's not written in the context of dieting or of healthy eating, it might have some relevance for slow losers. At the risk of stating the obvious, eating more calories is not a way to lose more weight. But which calories you eat, and when you eat them, might be - at least for some people.
Re: Cold Hands! Eat for Heat?
09 Apr 2013, 18:41
I am always cold - I'm the one on the beach with a cardigan! I do take thyroxine, but still....!

I will investigate this blog. Anything that can warm me up a bit! (My husband complains about my cold feet all the time!?!)

Thanks for the link.
09 Apr 2013, 20:23
I thought it was normal for women to be cold? I always have cold hands and feet. Fortunately my OH is a human radiator and doesn't mind my cold extremities in bed.
09 Apr 2013, 20:35
I've always had horribly cold hands so will have a read of this in case it can help me. A lot of the time I sit with a wheatbag on my lap while at my desk so I can warm my hands on it regularly!
4 posts Page 1 of 1