The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Blood results
13 Apr 2013, 11:45
Thought some of you might be interested in seeing the changes in my blood works over the last 3 months of doing 5:2. First figures Dec readings, second March
Weight loss - 17lbs
HbA1c - 60 - 44 (Type 2 diabetic on Metformin)
14.6 - 6.2
Cholesterol
Total 5.7 - 3.5
LDL 1.1 (triglycerides too high to measure LDL first test
HDL 1.3 - 1.1
Triglycerides 6.73 - 2.84
GFR (kidney function) 78.7 - 84.5
Eosinophil count 0.42 - 0.81
Haematocrit - 0.439 - 0.464
All other readings about the same both tests

Blood pressure 140/88 - 147/92

Mostly good results but surprised to see rise in BP. Also Eosinophil and Haematocrit readings up. Any comments from the science buffins?
Re: Blood results
13 Apr 2013, 11:53
useful improvement in Total/HDL cholesterol ratio, especially with your elevated blood pressure.

Eosinophil count 0.42 - 0.81 - the latter is quite high - were you ill or reacting to an allergy ?
13 Apr 2013, 12:03
Not ill or allergic Phil. Doctor didn't mention eosinophil and haematocrit increases so I didn't get a chance to ask her about them. Only saw afterwards on my print outs.
13 Apr 2013, 17:06
I presume the eosinophil count is 10^9 per litre? It is only a little high if so. Various conditions such as allergy, asthma, arthritis, parasite and lung infections can cause increased numbers. However certain medications can also raise eosinophil levels including psyllium husk, which several people on this forum take for constipation! The level of eosinophilia in asthma/allergies can be much higher than you are seeing though. Your level would be considered as mild eosinophilia so that's why the doc didn't comment I expect.
23 Apr 2013, 17:26
I'm a Dr in the US and very confused by your different units :confused: The change in the hematocrit may be related to your hydration state. The BP change doesn't seem significant and may be related to different timing in the day or any type of stress.
5 posts Page 1 of 1